Got tired of looking for a holster

Discussion in 'Leather Working' started by SheepdogPRS, Nov 10, 2017.

1. SheepdogPRS

SheepdogPRS Newbie

I decided I was going to make two. They will be made to fit my CZ 75B. One will be a pancake style belt holster and the other will be a shoulder rig. I have started by making a wood model of the gun and cutting the front and rear of the pancake holster. It will have a thumb strap retention with a snap. I will need to make a spring for the shoulder holster to retain the gun. I have some left over leather from some other projects and found a sheath that I had left unfinished (just like the knife it will hold) so I have a few projects for the winter.

camo2460, terri9630 and RedBeard like this.
  2. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Keep us updated with pictures.
    The only thing I have ever made from leather was a cover for my double bit ax.
    It looks pretty good and has held up for over40 years.

3. SheepdogPRS

SheepdogPRS Newbie

I am still using the holster I made for my revolver some 35 years ago. Its age is showing but it is still in very good shape.
    I can't promise pictures I usually get so involved that I forget about everything else. I will try though but it is likely to show very little of the process.

4. SheepdogPRS

SheepdogPRS Newbie

I got started making my holster and then remembered that I needed to post photos. It was already past some of the stages but I will try to back up to show each step. 01Pattern.JPG I made an outline around the gun on paper and then figured where I wanted the belt holes and from that the outside edges of the holster. I also left the long tangs for the snap to retain the pistol in the holster. 02ThreadLines.JPG I marked the lines for lacing a quarter of an inch outside the pistol outline and a second line of lacing inside the first a quarter of an inch. I located the two pieces of leather on a backboard and nailed it through where the holes will be punched for belt loops That keeps the pattern from shifting as I punch holes for lacing. 08CurvePunch.JPG Here is the 2 tooth punch I made to follow curves. One tooth is placed in an existing hole and you punch the next. 09StraightPunch.JPG This is the punch I made for doing straight line lacing. When I can use it this makes the work go faster than following curves. After all the lacing punching is done I then do the lacing closest to the frame to support the holster in the forming process.

5. SheepdogPRS

SheepdogPRS Newbie

The stitching is done in both directions with a single stitch like so.. 11LacingStart.JPG I continue stitching along that path to the end and then go back the other way completing the lacing on that part. 12BackLacing.JPG You have to pull each stitch tight as you go because it can get sloppy if you don't. When you get back to where you started you tie it off and trim the laces. If you don't use waxed thread you can secure the knot with some glue and that will keep it from coming apart in the future. If you use waxed thread as I did a bit of clear plastic dripped on the knot does a good job of securing it. 13CrossTie.JPG Moving on to the other side of the holster I laced it and tied it off. The holster is now ready to be formed to fit the gun. 14ReadyToForm.JPG
    If my gun was stainless I would just soak the holster in a pan of water and press the gun into it then use my forming rod to give it the relief it needed. My CZ is the blued model (not blued but I don't know how weather proof the finish is) so I made a wood model and coated it with spar vanish for water proofing and to keep from staining the leather. 15FormingModel.JPG another view 16FormingModel.JPG and one last view 17Forming model.JPG
    This was where I had to stop to bake a couple loaves of banana nut bread for my wife and brother. As much as I enjoy eating it, breads of any kind are outside my diet for the time being. No pictures of the bread either... Sorry. To be continued...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    terri9630 and RedBeard like this.