Got poop?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Magus, May 20, 2012.

1. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I haven't seen this covered in a thread of it's own yet so let's do that:

Scenario:
    You're shut in your home by riots, a blizzard, fallout, whatever.water's off, not coming back for a long time, You can't cross your legs for 6 months!

Fear not,Magus has your relief right here! you need:

5 or 10 gallon plastic bucket and a lid.

Solid wooden toilet seat modified to fit flush over the bucket[remove the lid or it falls off.]

Plastic Trash bags.

1 large bungee cord.

Kitty litter.to absorb #1.

At least one 50 Lb bag of quick lime and a soup can to dip it with.to cover #2 and keep flies down.

{In case you're from Mars, #1 is pee #2 is poo.nuff said?}

A gallon sprayer bottle full of your favorite disinfectant.

A few cases of toilet paper.

To begin,line the bucket with the trash bag and scoop in one can of cat litter.

Place the seat over the bucket and put the bungee cord around the rim of the bucket to hold the bag in place.

After you're done your duty, sprinkle the quick lime over the remains, give it a shot of disinfectant and put the lid over the can.a set up like this ideally is emptied once every day for a family and once every day or two for a loner but it can be made to last a week if emptying it might be worse than dealing with poo smell.

:shtf:

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Seeins how ya ain't gonna flush it, ya can use paper towel sted a the tp.

Ya can sprinkle a bit a bakin soda in there ifin ya like, but the lime should keep the worst a the smell down.

Try ta bury it when ya get rid a it, but keep it away from any sources a ground water.

Oh yeah, 13 gallon trash bags work perty well in a 5 gallon bucket.

We bought a porta loo, 5 gallon bucket with a toilet ring on it. Hey, it was on sale cheaper then just the bucket!

3. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

The baking soda would keep one from getting sick of the disinfectant smell for sure! good idea!

4. SlobberToofTigger

SlobberToofTigger Blah Blah Blah

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member

The above is a viable plan for households that are connected to city sanitation systems. Those of us who live rural and have septic tanks and a handy pond can still flush like civilized folks! LOL. Also it's not hard to expose the opening of a septic tank and build your outhouse right there! Lime is good.

I have a friend in Europe with a BOL that has no bathroom. She uses the sawdust bucket method and swears it's just as good as traditional indoor plumbing. No fuss, no muss and totally no smells.

6. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

NICE!

Makes note since I'm swimming in saw dust at certain times of the year.

7. SlobberToofTigger

Make note to not use sawdust from treated lumber.

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Big deal Magus, I live off the grid and on septic. Hell, I have two toilets in the 'pit' one marine manual pump that pump into the septic also and a lugable Loo with bio bags for backup

9. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Lucky you.not everyone else here does.the post was for them.
    I don't require anything but extra TP myself, feels good don't it?

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks for the info ... we are on a septic tank system and use pond and/or creek water when need to.

Also we have our very own Johnny house (outhouse) lol. It was here when we bought the place. Only had to use it one or twice but it is there if need be. (Once you clear out the spiders and snakes. :eek:)

11. chris88idaho

chris88idaho Well-Known Member

Umm. If you are on city sewer and the lines loose water pressure, is the gray water going to back up through your toilet? Yuck! No way to cut your toilet off that I am aware of...

Any plumbers out there?

12. eddy_dvyvan

eddy_dvyvan Well-Known Member

I spose it could if there were flooding in someplaces.

Quick dry cement!!

haha

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

14. SlobberToofTigger

Grey water is a term that when used with waste water means water that does not contain human waste. So for example water from your shower or your sink. Black water is water from your toilet.

All that aside it depends. All modern sewage systems use up lift stations to overcome terrain issues so where you are in relation to that uplift station on the trunk line will determine if you are going to have an issue. If you have an uplift station within a few hundred feet of your house you are probably in bad shape. If you do not have one anywhere near you then you are probably in not so bad shape.

As for what to do if you are on the **** end of the line mdprepper pointed a out a good post on that topic.

15. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

How to block the loo:

Drain the tank.
    Line the poop hole with a plastic bag.
    Cram a big Nerf ball on it.

Great for changing wax seals too.

16. SlobberToofTigger

It is also probably worth mentioning that the toilet is not going to be your big issue. Most peoples bathtubs and showers have drains that are at least 6 inches lower than their toilets, bowel water level so if you are in a bad location versus your neighbors (aka on the poo receiving end) expect nasty stuff in your shower/bathtub 1st. My neighborhood is 9ft above sea level, some of us are 9.5 feet some are 8.5 feet. The low guy on the street gets the poo 1st when the uplift stations power goes out.

17. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Heheheh...yup. I'm on a tank.sucks being them!

18. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I big + 1 on the sawdust vs. Cat litter... sawdust will decompose/compost while cat litter is forever, and ever and ever and ever. most of it is clay and doesn't melt and will just be there where it gets put. at least by composting/decomposing the waste with sawdust it will get rid of some of the worst pathogens naturally.
    cat litter won't break down and who knows how long the pathogens will remain active in that moist almost permanent clump of poo/urine/cat litter.
    :confused:

19. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

My plan differs slightly; liquids go one place and solids, another. Cat litter is my desiccant of choice for solids, and the liquids stay liquid. I've got dozens of old 2-liter bottles that are just not good enough for water storage, but they work great for sequestering urine. I have a test-batch that has kept integrity for over a year now. Gross, I know, but I had to test the concept. The ladies complain a bit about the process, whereby they go in one container, then transfer to waste container, but us fellas just go straight in the bottle. The upside is that the cat litter goes much further without having to absorb pee. The downside? Having bottles of pee that will have to be dealt with at a future date.

One thing I have added in the outhouse at one BOL is wood-ash from the fireplace. A half a can dumped right on top of the fresh poo really cuts down the smell; we've been using this method for years, and it's my guess that the ash makes lye, and the lye controls bacterial growth. Anyone else do the wood-ash in the outhouse?

20. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Great idea for the urine.. but do another test with real feces and cat litter and deposit somewhere outside.. let me know how that goes -never hurts to do a dry run of your system..