Got My Excalibur!!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by catsraven, Mar 3, 2011.

1. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Got it today I'm so excited! My old dehydrator is one of the cheap ones. It will dry only small amounts at a time and it dose not hold small things. The Excalibur will hold corn and peas. Now I can dehydrate anything YAYYYYYYYYYY

2. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Awesome! Have fun!:2thumb:

3. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

OMGosh ... you will LOVE it ... the only thing wrong with mine is that it is too small. :p

Wonder if I could talk the hubby into one of their commercial dehydrators?? :2thumb: Man do I covet one of those ... :D

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

The 11th commandment:

Thou shall not covet thy neighbors dehydrator. :D

5. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Iv dried corn, carrots, peppers and celery so far. Cant wait to harvest vegies from my garden and start to dry them.

6. BadgeBunny

:p If my neighbor had that thing I would be her BESTEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WORLD!! :D

The hubby says it is sad the things I have on my wish-list compared to what was on it when he married me. (Yep ... I was a sheeple ... and a -- gasp -- liberal to boot! :eek: It took him a while, but now I have both feet firmly planted on the dark side!! :2thumb:)

Opps ... sorry for the minor hijack ...

Catsraven ... you need to dehydrate some hamburger meat. It worked really, really well and the reconstituted stuff is perfect for casseroles, etc. I am gonna be real interested this time next year to see how it is ... I plan on opening a jar every month for the next 12 months to see how it does over time.

7. sherldoe

sherldoe Member

Please bear with me on this one.....this is my first post to this forum. I have been trying to find a preparedness forum that was not excludively men(well almost exclusively). I have just begun dehydrating(got my Excalibur too!) and I believe it's the way to go. Anyone do it on a regular basis?

Sherldoe from Texas

8. GXLancer

GXLancer Semper I

And I always thought an excalibur was a sword:dunno:

9. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

10. CulexPipiens

Is this done, I assume, with raw hamburger meat?

11. BadgeBunny

LOL ... that was the draw for me also ... *Andi and her knitting/crocheting thread ... You will LOVE it here! Welcome aboard!! :wave:

12. BadgeBunny

Oh, good heavens, NO!!:eek:

First of all you buy lots of ground meat (whatever kind you want -- beef, turkey, pork) ... the leaner the better. I have only used meat that is 90% leans so far.

Crumble and fry, stirring fairly constantly so your crumbles are small and uniform. Large chunks of meat will not dry properly.

I have dried meat that I did not rinse in a colander after cooking and meat that I have rinsed under running water in a colander. The meat that I rinsed seems to have dried more quickly. I am assuming that is because I have removed even more of what little fat is there. I am also assuming that you could buy fattier combos of meat and then rinse it but that seems like seems wasteful to me.

Then put the meat on paper towels or lintfree towels and blot dry. Spread in a single layer on the dehydrator trays and dehydrate until hard and crunchy.

Store in glass jars after vacuum sealing (I use the lids that FoodSaver makes with my FoodSaver). I suspect that if you add a 02 thingee it will last even longer but I don't have enough put back yet to start doing that. Until I have about a years' worth already in the cabinet it seems silly to use up my o2 absorbers on meat I am gonna open well within "normal times".

I made a tacos the other night. Hubby didn't know the difference. :D I reconstituted a 1/2 c of meat with 1 1/2 cup of water and then let the taco seasoning and water finish it off. That made plenty for two people and the dog. ;)

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Cool ... I didn't know that.

sherldoe - :welcome:

catsraven - Awesome! I have been looking at them ... you will have to let us all know how it works out for you. (So I can tell my husband! ;))

14. BadgeBunny

Yep. And that was BEFORE you were Queen of All You Survey!! :D:2thumb::beercheer::lolsmash:

15. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

sherldoe I dont use it every day but I do use it often. Just did some peaches and tomatoes. Im in lerv with it lol.

*Andi tell your husband its worth every penny! Not only dose it dry very well, it also dose an enormous amount of food! I filled a one gallon mylar bag with half a load of corn.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  16. CulexPipiens

OK. Thanks! I didn't think that raw would be safe... but then I started thinking jerky and smoking and figured it would be better to ask someone who's done it aleady.

I haven't looked into this much yet as I'm still saving up for one myself. We've got a big garden planned for this year and I'm planing (hoping) to grow enough to last us through to next years garden. I also have a good source for meat... basically free... I'm trading for some work I do for the farmer... and while we have a nice selection in the freezer, storing some in a way that doesn't require electricty is something I also have plans to work on this year. So, once I get mine it's going to get heavily used. :)

17. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Good for you. That is on my list to get.

18. sherldoe

sherldoe Member

Venison works great because of its lean character...And speaking of deer meat, I just dehydrated 8 pounds of it to make jerky . Looked and tasted professional. Excalibur dehydrator worked a LOT better than my old less expensive one, and I could have done more than just 8 pounds.

Cooked my first stew with dehydrated veggies and meat. Picky hubby couldn't tell the difference.

19. WFOO2

WFOO2 New Member

Interesting which model do you guys recommend for starting out . I'm good on medical supplies ( EMT here ) . But most of my long term stuff is mountain house , beans , rice , lentils ,MRE's , LRP, can good etc. This sounds like a good way to put up garden stuff and dry some meats .

20. BadgeBunny

:eek: OK now you're just trying to make me jealous!!

And it's working ... :p What a great deal for you!! Get the 9 tray one. I think you will be amazed at how much food it will dehyrdate at one time.

Look here: ExcaliburDehydrator.com

I got the one with 9 tray one with the timer on it.