Got Bible questions?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by TrackerRat, May 25, 2011.

1. TrackerRat

TrackerRat Well-Known Member

I found this site that answers many questions and cites the versus from which it came. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Bible Questions Answered

2. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

It looks fine to me..... but I would always keep my guard up and measure everything with The Word of God. That is our plumb line. If it doesn't measure up with the Bible ...... chuck it.

3. Davo45

Davo45 New here

+1

Amen sister! As Solomon told his son (and us) though inspiration of the Holy Spirit in Proverbs 2:6, "For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding". The Lord Jesus says in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me." And as the Lord promised in John 14:17-16, "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever - the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you."

4. snappy1

snappy1 Well-Known Member

To me, it is my interpretation of what a verse says that counts. Not a biblical scholar.

5. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

The Bible interprets it's self. You don't need man to interpret it but sometimes if you have a quick question you can always ask and then search the scripture to see if their answer is right. The old testament is history and prophecies and the new is how they were fulfilled and how we are to live.
    Although I must admit..... I believe The Bible is a supernatural book and the best way to read it is to ask The One who is the Author of it. 66 book written by about 40 writers with a single thread of salvation going through it from beginning to end.
    I hope I have not offended anyone here.:)

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Of course you haven't! This kind of discussion is welcome here!

I wish I felt like you in believing the Bible interprets itself. When I read the Bible it just raises more questions, and I get angry and frustrated. Sincere prayer doesn't help. I'm a reasonably intelligent person. Yet around me I see so many religions and so many people even within a religion or individual church divided on the meaning or application of this scripture or that, and I just throw up my hands. The church I used to go to, the Elders often had conflicting or opposite answers to things they were praying on, and they'd fight because they all believed GOD had told them this or that. So, who was right? :scratch

7. BillM

BillM BillM

The Bible

The Bible is a book that has both literal and alligorical meanings.

To interpit a scripture requires both study and prayer. If you ask for an understanding you will recieve it.

8. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

More questions? You don't have be angry or frustrated. I would say keep asking Him. I know it sounds stupid but He will lead you to your answers. Be patient. Don't stop asking Him.
    Hey you know the only people Jesus got angry with were the religious leaders. LOL That has to tell you something isn't right there!
    I would run away from anyone who says "God told me this or that" Or tell them that is fine for you ...... keep it to yourself. And if you still want to ask some guy questions.... ask and go and see if what he said is in The Word and read the whole context. You know what I mean.... so many preachers today take a line in scripture and expound on it and come up all kinds of weird stuff like the guy with the end of the world. They make a profit from the things of God.
    The bottom line is what are the questions for .... the Gospel is simple ...Jesus died for our sins..... because the bible says there is punishment for sin and it is death. He rose from the dead is alive now and if we believe in Him call on The Name of Jesus we will be saved.... if you get that and belong to Him the rest is ....... how do I say this ...... extra.... wanting to know more ...wanting knowledge .....It isn't a bad thing it is there for us but you don't have to fret but that is not salvation. The Holy Spirit will teach you all things.
    We are preparing for what might be coming in the world economic , weather natural disasters what have you and the Bible talks about that but it also talks about the apostasy coming in "the church" and it is here now.

9. TrackerRat

TrackerRat Well-Known Member

I am a newbie to religion but atleast I have begun. I have been to a few churchs and hear different interpertations to the same versus. This is confusing. And I noticed pastures with dirty laundry will never cite the parts of the bible that shun their actions. So I will go this adventure mostly alone and with the help of trusted followers. I need to read the bible for myself and determine its true meaning.

10. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Religion is a belief system with traditions and practices. I have never been religious myself. I guess I am rebellious in a way. But I believe Jesus Is God..... pretty radical to say the least. I don't go to "church" because the Bible says we are the church. All who believe are The Church and not a physical place. Don't get me wrong I am not against "going to church".
    Man will always let you down.... never put your hope in man. I know so many people who turn away from God because a pastor failed or offended them or was some kind of creep. They gave to much power over to the pastor and then get angry at God.
    The Bible is called The Bread Of Life. So it is a kind of food for our spirit. We eat food everyday so I think it is good to read the bible when ever you can. If you want to read daily then just read a paragraph a day. Our brain is a computer and The Holy Spirit will bring to remembrance His Word when we need it. Just keep reading it for yourself. If you can have bible studies with your family or friends who are like minded that is the best.
    Never give up never surrender .... except to God ...tee hee

11. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Just keep with the milk and honey part untill you study for awhile.The meats for later on,imo.

I studied for too long a periods and everything and every body looked bad to me.Now I study for awhile then put it away for awhile.

Just my opinion.

12. Yahislife

Yahislife New Member

Hi, really like your posts. I have felt frustrated int he past when reading the Bible. Now, I look at The Scriptures as a novel, almost, a history book, full of wisdom, events, trials, tragedies and strategies for everyday living. Seems everyone wants a book on how to live life, right?, there are millions of books out there. The Scriptures give us sound advice on how to live, how to treat one another etc. When I started reading the Scriptures like a novel, it made much more sense. And what a great book, containing wars, prophesy, love, family histroy, dysfunctional families, prostitutes, bad kings, the beginning, and of course the prophesied end. And, what other book written by any psychic today, has such a profound prophetic accuracy? I agree, meanings are literal, allegorical and even mathematical. Thanks, just joined today.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

And we're glad to have you! Welcome to the forum! You sound like someone who thinks before and while you're writing/talking!

:)

14. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I have felt closer to God in nature than I ever have in church.

15. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Me too. I think that is one of the many ways God draws us to Him. We are in nature and we can feel the Creator through His creation. We ask ourselves "if there is a Creator He must have created for a purpose... whats His purpose for creating me?" and "how can I get to know the Creator and have a relationship with Him?"... thats where it began/begins for many and where many went/go to nurture that relationship.

16. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Yes, but you can't really know God unless you read the Bible. If you don't read the Bible you can't possibly know what God requires of us. And if you don't go to church you're not being obedient to God.

(Heb 10:25 NIV) Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

17. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

You are correct that you can't know God, His plans, His desires, His promises, etc without reading the Bible. That is very important. But understand that we believers make up the church, not a building or other organization. All that the verse quoted is saying is that we should not forsake meeting up with other believers and discussing spiritual things, encouraging one another, reading the Bible, worshipping, etc. We do that sort of things right here. I would suggest you find a local group (maybe a church) that you can be a part of to give and get encouragement and also to study and worship together. But nothing says you have to "go to church".

For those of you that say "church isnt for me" consider that although you dont see eye to eye with everyone and maybe they dont have much to offer to you perhaps its not all about you. Perhaps you should be the one offering encouragement etc to them. Dont go just looking to get -- go to give and you will find your reward! It can be very difficult to find a group or church where you feel you really fit but I dont think thats an excuse not to go at all. Church can be a great place to realign with God and get your bearings. It can be a great place to seek refuge and help as well.

God intended his body (the church body, not a building, or other organization) to work together so that the "hand" can pull a "thorn" from the "foot" and the "eye" can guide the "legs" etc. etc. etc.

18. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Well said Mr Ant.
    I do have trouble sometimes when one scripture is taken out of context for personal gain and although I believe it would be awful if there were no "churches"
    I believe your growth in The Lord comes with personal time with Him.
    When we are not allowed to go to "church" in the future how will our relationship fair with The Lord?
    The Bible is our plumb line. We need it for examples for measuring what some guy is spouting out in a big "church" to The Church and showing that ALL have sinned and come short like us!
    Can we jump up and down in our own homes singing and getting all hyped ..... I hope so.
    Gathering together of believers is steel sharpening steel and that doesn't happen warming a pew but by reasoning together with other believers. Anywhere anytime. I am not against "church" that man made but if you look at the Church today it is a mess.
    It says in the Old Testament and the New that The Holy Spirit will be our Teacher and we will worship in Spirit and in Truth. We should all ask The Lord for wisdom and discernment. We need it desperately these days.

19. Meerkat

Yea the Bible is just like today,nothing new under the sun far as man is concerned.
    Its still a mystery that nobody ever figures out.We don't have the mind of God,only man.
    But it has the best instructions for us to live by as best we can.

20. Meerkat

I understand what you mean,thats why I don't go to church,but still looking for one.
    I think most of the problem is the time we live in. People have gotten more evil as time goes on.
    God is becoming less and less popular.In America and europe its against the law to even mention certain verses.In most other nations its been against the law to speak out about God.