Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an avid knitter and quilter
I am in need of generating some income as hubby got his hours slashed so we are now short almost 600 bucks a month!!
at least he is able to work.
jobs are scarce and honestly I am pretty confident i can generate some income.
I am currently making some quilt tops and knitting up some socks like boot socks for winter and kids socks etc.
I am thinking of starting mittens and hats too.
not bragging but i been knitting for about 30 years and have gotten fairly fast so i can keep my family in knitted warmth with out probs.
anyway, would anyone on this forum be interested in my knitting for them or something?
Not sure what i would charge but as a general rule I can make a pair of socks in about 3 days tops for an adult size and kids size well they are fast. lol Oh and i make these items out of wool.
let me know what you think or any ideas or something. I just want to keep up with our utilities but as for food stuff i am a prepper so we have a good stock up.
thanks for any input
:)
to add... between kids and general living that is why it takes me a couple days to get something knitted up. lol

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
I can help:

[1]
Post pictures of your work,let it be known you sell it.

[2]
go to proboards and make a free forum and make sure the type of service you offer is mentioned in the title!

[3]Post more pics there and put a link to your site in your signature.
if the government would let me I could almost equal my disability check selling my blades doing this in good times.

on a side note,ornate pouches sell good in the circles I travel in,so do duck bags of various sizes.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can help:

[1]
Post pictures of your work,let it be known you sell it.

[2]
go to proboards and make a free forum and make sure the type of service you offer is mentioned in the title!

[3]Post more pics there and put a link to your site in your signature.
if the government would let me I could almost equal my disability check selling my blades doing this in good times.

on a side note,ornate pouches sell good in the circles I travel in,so do duck bags of various sizes.
ooo! I make bags all the time! in fact i recently made a bag for my daughter with lots of inner and outer pockets with an adjustable strap. hmmm great ideas. thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
We do have a marketplace on the forum ...

And I did like the socks you posted a picture of ... ;) (And we all know my knit socks ... well ... never mine. :surrender:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
:wave: Hey!! Last summer I met a lady while standing in line at the cutting table at the fabric store. She was buying up all the "cutsie" prints that were clearanced. We got to talking and she said her daughter had made a little fold-over (three fold) makeup bag for posted a pic of it on facebook. Next thing she knew people were asking her to make one for them.

Well, her 13 year old daughter put together a webpage and started taking orders. Next thing they knew she had so many orders that she couldn't keep up and mom, grandma and a couple of aunts were having to help her! :eek: IIRC she told me they were charging $20 (covered shipping, which couldn't have been much) and the things were selling like hotcakes. She said there was no way they had more than $3 worth of material in one of them and they could make a couple dozen in an afternoon.

Anyway ... you might pick something you like making and can do quickly and then throw up a webpage with some pics and prices. According to this woman they were getting e-mails from people asking them to do other sewing projects for them ... seems like anything "handmade" is "the gift to give" these days ... Even if you didn't make it yourself! haha! :scratch

·
Registered
418 Posts
We do have a marketplace on the forum ...

And I did like the socks you posted a picture of ... ;) (And we all know my knit socks ... well ... never mine. :surrender:)
:p Mine too! I don't think knitting socks is "my calling" ... :scratch

Hey! IHALFCENT, I have some yarn ... How much would you charge me to make my socks if I sent you the yarn and some money for return postage?? No rush at all ... completely at your leisure.

(OK guys ... Yeah, I know OPSEC and all that ... I got worse things to worry about than if IHALFCENT knows my addy ... lol)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:p Mine too! I don't think knitting socks is "my calling" ... :scratch

Hey! IHALFCENT, I have some yarn ... How much would you charge me to make my socks if I sent you the yarn and some money for return postage?? No rush at all ... completely at your leisure.

(OK guys ... Yeah, I know OPSEC and all that ... I got worse things to worry about than if IHALFCENT knows my addy ... lol)
I would love to knit your socks! lol
about 10 bucks cuz you supply all the yarn. :)
let me know.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh also..i don't hunt and neither does hubby as he is too citified. grrr
So i would also be interested in bartering for meat like venison, fowl like duck or turkeys or pheasant or something. I have a chest freezer waiting to be stocked up. :)
you know... 'I knit for food' lol
not sure if there are laws about that but i would very much consider that if anyone has something like that. :)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got your pm and replied. :)

I made an etsy site but haven't put anything up yet. I pulled out some nice blue hued corriedale merino blend I hand spun into a two ply and making a pair of socks to post here.
when the color is so nice I dont like to complicate it with pattern stitches so it will be plain socks but the color sings! lol

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
got your pm and replied. :)

I made an etsy site but haven't put anything up yet. I pulled out some nice blue hued corriedale merino blend I hand spun into a two ply and making a pair of socks to post here.
when the color is so nice I dont like to complicate it with pattern stitches so it will be plain socks but the color sings! lol
Can't wait to see the socks! :D and your etsy site! :goodluck:

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Another thing you may want to consider is the cloth printer "paper" so that you can do custom blankets or pillows etc with people's photos or whatever, my wife made some for gifts and people just LOVE them.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tirediron...great idea!

ok everyone here is a pair of socks still on the needles.. i do magic loop knitting with socks as i can make a whole pair in at one time.
The yarn is a handspun i had and of a corriedale merino wool blend. Perfect for cold weather and I knit it a little tight for greater insulation.
anyway...been wanting to use this yarn for a bit and there you go.
when they are done I will take another photo after blocking so you can see the finished work. :)

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes emerald...the color sings don't you agree? lol
I decided to make the cuffs scrunchy which i happen to love the look and feel of.
these socks will be for me cuz i got this fleece for a reason :p
anyway...i am already lining up the next several pairs in a nice variety of yarns i have again handspun but haven't gotten to yet. I have this beautiful grey alpaca oh my goodness so so soft!
and some merino tussa silk blends in spring colors.
I found a gal about 50 miles from me who raises sheep and will be getting some raw fleeces from her tomorrow. so excited by what she has described to me!
I am learning to spin real fine yarns and plying them to make sturdy gansey type yarn for long lived sweaters for my kids and matching socks hats and mitts.
got plenty of time do all this and i love it so it is not a chore.
ok see ya all soon.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Congrats on finding your wool ... That way you can look at it first hand!

Can't wait for your next project ... and I really like gray. :D

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my fleece today!!! met up with this gal who had an attic full of fleeces so I was a bit wary. didn't need to worry as I got bags and boxes of beautiful blue liecestor fleeces, rambullait (sp?) merino and these are an assortment of colors. grays, white, dark brown. just beautiful!
I washed a half bag of the blue liecestor (i know i am not spelling this right) anyway it is white and oh my goodness it is fantastic. as soon as some dried I started spinning it and was almost in tears it was so heavenly. lol do I sound like an addict or what. lol
anyway I got close to 80lbs of this stuff at $2 per pound!!
She was getting ready for this seasons shearing and couldn't get to this.
great timing! lol
I get some of the new shears too when they are ready. I am hoping for more merino.
ok off to bed and dream of clouds of fleece....... :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts