Goodwill finds

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, May 7, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Stopped by the Goodwill store after leavin the hospital taday. Made out perty good.

Got a Westinghouse roaster/oven, old in excellent shape an dang it be heavy built, all the parts an pieces fer 6 bucks.

Found a very nice red case with eleastic straps an clear zippered pouch's inside, usin it fer a first aid kit in the truck fer a buck fifty.

Several nice small tins fer fifty cents each.

Two nice oil lamps one fer two bucks the other was three bucks.

A couple big candles fer two bucks each, these will be used fer fire starters, stoves an such.

All in all a perty good hall fer the day.

2. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

Good haul.

I went yesterday looking for oil lamps and found none. Though, I did score on a couple of external aluminum frame backpacks. $4 each, almost brand new. Yay!:2thumb:

3. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Ah, Goodwill....

I sell items that I find at Goodwill on eBay. You won't believe how many people throw away early 19th century Japanese teaware from the Maiji period. Same with Limoges, France porcelain and West German porcelain. I snag that stuff for $0.99 and sell it on eBay for $25+ for a teacup :)

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Wow, oldcoot, that's a good haul!

Best thrift store find for me in the last couple months was an Oat Roller for $3. I don't think they knew what it was! They're pretty pricey when bought new.

5. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

This morning at Goodwill, I found a lap loom, and 4 foodsaver canisters. $2 for the smaller and $3 for the large one. Oh and another apple peeler. And both " Make a Mix" books for $2 each ( now that I've copied them and printed them out...*sigh*)
    Went next door to the Big Lots store and I found powdered WHOLE milk in cans. $5 each. I bought all they had.It's use by date is Sept 2013! Gonna keep checking back. Whole powdered milk is hard to come by, so I want to get as much as I can.

6. slick

slick Active Member

7. rflood

rflood Well-Known Member

My wife has taken to hitting up the local Sally Ann on Wednesdays (half off day) to pick up her new clothing items. I got dragged there one day (with a pickup bed full of manure) and actually found a decent hawian shirt for myself. Didn't see anything to aid in our preps though. Have to keep looking.

8. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I think Goodwill (all thrift stores) are like craigslist - you have to be diligent in checking it out because you never know when something beneficial will be there. I have found that when I'm not checking c-list is when something I've been looking for comes up, and when I do get back on c-list and see the posting, the item is gone or the curb alert is over (but the post isn't removed yet).

The trick for me is not buying the stuff I don't need while waiting for the stuff I do need to show up. :eek:

9. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

When I first moved here, eleven years ago, the "Senior Thrift Store" was selling a grocery store plastic bag with all the clothing that you could put inside for one dollar, it the went to two then three and now four......but.....I am an expert at it and I can fit fifteen pair of pants in one of them.....or 25 T shirts.

My best find was a "London Fog" with a liner for $5.00 and also a "Garbani" set of two pants, coat and vest also for $5.00........value of the Londong Fog is of $250.00 and of the Garbani of $750.00.

WTSHTF I will be dealing with the 75 full bags of almost like new clothing from this thrift store.

10. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Ronco food dehydrator - with all the trays and lid for $2

Nice Golf bag with 6 clubs for $6

11. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

gypsysue, forgive my ignorance, but what is an oat roller? I googled it and I'm still not sure I understand. Does it take the hull off the whole grain or something? I just realized I'm only familiar with oats in oatmeal form. :eek:

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oats look vaguely like whole wheat grains ('groats'). They're little balls, basically, like tan BB's. The oat roller looks a little like a hand-cranked wheat grinder. You put the whole oats in the hopper on top, and when you turn the handle it presses them into oatmeal. You can also make rolled wheat and rolled barley, and probalby other grains too.

I tried to put a link on here to one for sale on Lehman's Non-Electric website (lehmans.com), but it won't do it. If you go to their website, type "oat roller" into their search box.

If you notice the price on their website you'll see that I got an amazing deal at $3! (It's $119.95 from them)

13. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

thank you for the explanation! That sounds really neat, and, I learned something!! And yes, you got a heck of a deal!! :)

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Here's your link GS

Lehman's - Search

15. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I love thrift stores. Haven't been in a while, now you guys have given me the nudge I needed to go shopping.

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Click on that link, UncleJoe, it doesn't work! It does the same thing that happened when I tried to post it!

17. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Plug this into your browser.

non-electric.lehmans.com

18. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

If you use the new microsoft Int Ex or FireFox, Just right click on it and select "open in a new tab" and it works fine :)

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Thanks! I didn't know about that! :)

20. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

The link still seems bad. Hover over it and look at the bottom toolbar that gives the link.

I am using FireFox and do use the open in new tab option but it didn't work.