good use for old Sat dishes

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Concerned_ Citizen, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Hey yall, so i have 3 sat dishes on my roof that i do not plan to use for the intended purposes.....TV......i want them down but do not wan tto throw them away......anyone have any bright ideas on what to use them for?

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:scratch parabolic reflector for a solar still or a (very) small stirling engine/ electrical generator? :dunno:

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I have a small one in my yard from when we changed satellite TV providers. Just seems too good to throw away.

4. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Agreed sure would like to do something with it.

5. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Blob said it. Solar. I've seen 'em lined with mirrors and used as reflectors or lined with black poly pipe and used to heat water. Of course you don't really NEED the dish for hot water. A coil of pipe works just as well. I think they just used it as a platform for he collector.

6. sunny

sunny Well-Known Member

I wish I could find one of the old 6 foot ones. My dad used one as a rain water collector. He was easily able to fill up 300 gallons in 6 50 gallon barrels every winter. He had it set up to a drip system to his berry bushes. Never had to water them during the summer. With the barrels ahead and the rain during the summer it was never empty.
    I would love to have a set up like it to help water my livestock.

7. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

ummmm ..flower/veggie planter? :dunno:

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

You could plug the center hole and use them in a row near the pond and put a small pump in the pond and you got a fancy smancy waterfall!:D

9. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q90i31JIQ3M]YouTube - PARABOLIC DISH MIRROR PARABOLOID DIY REFLECTOR DIRECT TV SAVE ENERGY Solar Reflective Film[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElXHAFq13jI]YouTube - SATELLITE DISH CONVERSION Huge Parabolic Mirror Solar Power Reflective Film DIRECT TV SOLAR[/ame]

10. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Satdish, usb cable, and usb wifi wll let you grab a signal from a long way away...

11. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Sinbad, thanks for the links!

RH, can you point me towards some additional info on that? Definitely peaked my interest

12. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Teenager builds 'death-ray' which can burn through almost anything

While many teenagers are content to sit at home playing computer games, this one has set his sights on something a little more ambitious.

Eric Jacqmain, from Indiana in the US, covered an ordinary fibreglass satellite dish with 5,800 tiny mirror tiles - and made his very own 'death ray'.

When aligned correctly it can generate a heat spot a couple of centimetres across, with an intensity of 5,000 shining suns, the 19-year-old claims.

Eric Jacqmain invented a 'Death ray' dish that had the intensity of 5,000 suns | Mail Online

14. Necred

Necred Well-Known Member

dish

i have 2 from 80's, 10 ft inverted on 3 poles to use as shade for my donkeys. Ive seen many with thatch on top as bikini huts..

15. caveman

caveman what the ......

what can i do with a satellite dish?

I recently took down a satellite dish and was wondering if any of you out there might have any clever ideas to reuse this thing. Its 8ft diameter, a steel frame frame, and covered with aluminum mesh. I thank you. Stay safe out there,

16. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly how they do it, I suppose you could youtube it or something, but some have made solar cookers out of them. Don't remember if they had to sand it down, or put a finish on it, or what, but I think it's a parabolic cooker? And, if I remember correctly, they were pretty powerful.

edit - okay, maybe your's is too big for that....don't know

17. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Sorry caveman , When I merged these two threads I wanted to have your question at the top. :eek: I goofed, but you'll still find some ideas here.

18. caveman

caveman what the ......

That's ok bro, I should have searched before posting. These are a lot of great ideas. Thanks!

19. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

I like the mirror-tile idea, but most "large" sat dishes are pretty flimsy and wouldn't handle the weight.

I could use the steam from something like this!
    I have to go take one down from a friend's yard that looks about 8 feet across. It is meshed metal. I am going to try to stiffen it with extra framing and see how hard it would be to add mirror material.

20. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

a few videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8aQVeyaaZM]Solar Cooker - YouTube[/ame]

green power science has 300+ videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/GREENPOWERSCIENCE#p/u/33/0qmO47--m6g]GREENPOWERSCIENCE's Channel - YouTube[/ame]