Good Health Habits

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by amfed, Oct 9, 2009.

1. amfed

amfed Guest

# Get enough quality rest
    Have at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. Try to go to bed by 10pm, as the best period for the body to repair and heal itself is between 10pm and 2am. Try to sleep in total darkness, or in as little light as possible. This is an important, but often ignored, good health habit.

# Exercise regularly
    Humans were made to move. Our blood and lymphatic circulation, blood oxygen levels, heart strength, lung capacity, elimination systems, fitness, mood, etc are all improved with exercise. Modern day living and modern technology have reduced us to such sedentary beings that we are sorely lacking in exercise. Thus, in the modern day context, this is also one of the important good health habits.

# Sweat
    Sweating is a major channel for our bodies to detoxify. However, most of us hardly move and hardly sweat anymore. Sweating can be achieved mainly through exercise, saunas or sunbathing.

# Get more oxygen in
    Our air today has less oxygen than it did a hundred years ago. On top of that, it is heavily polluted with toxic gases. Add in the fact that most of us don't exercise regularly and practice shallow breathing, we are not getting enough oxygen into our cells and tissues. Poorly oxygenated cells are a major cause of many serious diseases, including cancer. You can get more oxygen into your body by learning to breathe deeper, meditating, exercising, and going to more oxygen-rich places, such as nature reserves. It's also a good idea to use an air purifier in the house and office. This is another of the important good health habits. After all, oxygen is the most essential nutrient of all -- without it, we die within minutes, if not seconds. At the very least, learn to breathe deeper all the time, and get into the nature reserve once every few days.

# Improve your circulation
    Blood and lymphatic circulation are critical to move nutrients to and remove wastes from your cells. Besides exercise, there are specific ways to improve your circulation, such as rebounding, foot reflexology and dry skin brushing.

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I need to exercise.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Come on down and help me dig the shelter, jackhammering, then one 5 gal bucket at a time 4 in the wheelbarrow and then out to the waste heap. I think I sweat too much to perspire. Just came up after 2 hours, wow, sun is still up. I don't need no sinkin' exercise. Will be in bed at or before 8pm, up at 4:30am, 7 days a week.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Canadian

Up at 4:30? Why? Early bird special at the diner?

5. bunkerbob

No, so I can serve it to the late risers.

6. bunkerbob

I see you didn't responded to the offer of exersise....whats up. Didn't get enough sleep.

7. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

I need more sleep. I go to bed around midnight and wake at 6:30 almost every day. But honestly right now its impossible for me to go to bed any earlier. After the kids go to bed is my time to study, do homework, prepare whatever needs to be done for my classes the next day. But its all good because God made coffee :2thumb:

8. Canadian

Jackhammer. Hah. A real man uses a pick axe. I'd help with the bunker if you buy me breakfast buffet at Shoney's. I'll bring my pick axe and show you how it's done. ;)

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I think the not enough rest thing is one of the chronic issues with our modern world. I'm guilty too. By the time DS goes to bed it's close to 9PM and I've got to pack my lunch and unwind with a cup of tea and some forum time :D so it's usually 10 by the time I get to bed and I get up 4-5 days a week at 4:30AM. I work 4 10 hour days but we have overtime authorized for the whole month of October so I'll be working Fridays as well, then I'm up at 6:30 or so on the weekends to get ready to do farm stuff. I do run a few days a week on the elyptical. Down over 85 pounds since February by changes in diet and exercise so I feel much more prepared to live a good life and be there for my wife and son.

10. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

I've been reading up on cough, cold, and flu prevention and I'm amazed by the number and types of bacteria, germs, and allergens that inhabit a typical home. While it's not as glamourous as your AR-15 and food stockpile, basic hygiene is pretty important in disease prevention.

I put together an article on some basic sanitary hygiene routines to help create a healthier living space here:
    Seven Sanitary Routines For A Healthier Home

I also found an interesting website on all the germs and creepy crawlies that lurk in a typical home: StopGerms.org

So, even if the world ends, you still have to clean your kitchen and bathroom! :eek:

11. Jason

That's a good point, Gator, and I will be checking out the links you provided here shortly. I can imagine if we ever have to hole up in our basements what it's smell like after about a week if you really weren't super crazy about keeping the place clean and fresh.

On a side note, since this is the health section, allow me to mention that I hit 179lbs yesterday. I started in February at 275, so my 10 month weight loss is 96 lbs. I just want to hit 100 and I'll be happy.

:2thumb:

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

WOW. You should be just about ready for the cover of a fitness magazine. :congrat:

13. Jason

Thank you, UncleJoe. Not quite yet, but much closer. :) I do feel better than ever. My belly is almost gone and that's my goal right now. I need to start a better excercise regimen to tone up. I'm not trying to be super buff, but non-flabby would be nice. :)

14. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You are now at 179lbs??? Wow!! Congratulations!

15. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I used to weigh 320. Now I'm down to 200. It's amazing how much better you feel when your not lugging around another person.

16. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Gator Dude great sanitary routines, to stay healthy I also take 2-500 mg. vitamin C's. One in the morning and one in the evening.

17. bunkerbob

This may not be a priority, but brushing your teeth a couple of times a day, and good oral hygene can prevent a lot of serious ailments. A acquaintance of mine years ago showed up after about a year absence, he told me that he had suddenly come down with a serious infection of the sac around his heart. He was subsequently hospitalized and came very close to death. They, the treating doctors attribute the affection to a tooth abscess he left untreated. And the ensuing infection went into his blood stream and came to rest in the heart sac. He spent a good part of that years absence in the hospital undergoing antibiiotic treatment.

18. Jason

Naekid, yes I am, and thank you for the congrats.

Dean, that's amazing. How long did it take you to lose that much? How are you going about it? I just use good old fashioned diet and exercise. And a healthy dash of willpower.

19. Jason

Well, I finally did it. On Sunday, Feb 7, I weighed 174.0 lbs when I got up in the morning. I finally broke the 100 pound mark! :)

20. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Congratulations!!!!!