Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep it is starting out with higher prices here and there on thing's and smaller container's, jacked price. Adjusting for inflation thing's should be a lot higher but surpluses kept it in moderation. Not so very soon a big jump and a shock to a lot of folk's. Yep it's is a coming.

·
Beginner's Mind
230 Posts
Tell me about it. I grabbed a medium sized Butternut squash at the food store without looking at the price. Wound up costing me almost $7 at checkout. The checker canceled the posting, thinking he'd put the wrong code in but it rang up the same the second time. $2.09/lb. I went back and looked.

When I grew squash, I used to sneak up to my neighbor's houses at 2 A.M. to drop some off on their front porch so they couldn't turn them down.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
This past Sunday we were at wally world and found the sugar and flour shelves almost completely empty. :eek: It looked liked a picture from an eastern bloc country.

·
Registered
299 Posts
And many used to call me "crazy" for my seven or eight years of food in stock, who is the crazy one now???:dunno:

And just wait till it gets to the rest of the stuf like clothing and so on... you haven't seen anything yet.............the beggining of the end.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think my trying to get some folk's to prep will come back and bite me in my buttock's. Most have not done anything at all, so yep time to consider serious area def. When it start's not if. A few i have tried to talk to might get the wrong idea that i,am a hand out. Don,t think so. Mine come first. Hope it don't get in that shape, but food in spot shortage's i think will be the thing to look for soon. It will be there for a quite a while yet at inflated prices before real shortage's show up.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Folks at work used to get a chuckle out of my preps. I ordered a case of #10 cans and a co-worker saw the order printout on my desk. I can only spend so much at a time and have to save for the next round, building up the reserves little by little. Well, they asked me if I had ever even opened a can and tried anything in them. I said nope and I do not intend to until the need arises. They all laughed and made comments about eating cardboard and stuff that tastes like crap. I stated regardless of what it tastes like, it will taste much better than the alternative. I also let them know that as I’m in my 50’s, this stuff will be good for as long as I’m around. I tend to get more questions than chuckles now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe we will see some food shortages in things such as tomatoes which is happening right now. I don't think we will see massive starvation domestically thats going to happen in 3rd world countries we will see spikes in food prices which will carry everything else in the economy with it

·
Registered
162 Posts
food shortage

There is definitely some food shortage issues that will come up sooner or later. But I believe, as evidenced by any trip to the grocery store, that we will basically have enough food, but it will cost so much, no one will be able to afford it soon. In my household, I do all the grocery shopping, and I can't believe how high things are becoming and how fast they get there.

I listened to the latest Lindsey Williams interview on Alex Jones, and his Mister X said exactly what we are experiencing now. No shortage of food for the most part, but prices so high, no one can afford them. Mister X informed LW, that prices will rise 30-50% before years end. seems like we are well on our way. I can quote prices on items that in one year, have gone up 20-30%. Average this over an entire grocery cart, and you can do the math.

Since food prices are somewhat based on futures, when the bad weather influences come into the price calculations, sooner or later, food prices wil take another sharp upshot. The 30-50% inflationary spike in groceries already seems a no-brainer. There are some truly awfull times coming.

I have been hearing opinions expressed that are stating that we will never return to the lifestyle that we lived for the past ump-teen years. That also is a no-brainer prediction. I am retired now, and I can easily see the handwriting on the wall. Grown children who give me the blank stare when I tell them what's coming. They think I've been spending too much time in some conspiracy chat room or something. They are in for a rude awakening. Life can be a cruel mistress as they will soon find out. I fully expect to be feeding two grown married kids, and a grandchild.

One last point I'd like to make about food. Anything you buy now is actually a good investment. prices are going up so fast, you are saving yourself big bucks by buying now because of inflation. That may be the smartest reason yet for doing what we can right now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
One last point I'd like to make about food. Anything you buy now is actually a good investment. prices are going up so fast, you are saving yourself big bucks by buying now because of inflation. That may be the smartest reason yet for doing what we can right now.
I don't think this point can be stressed enough.
When we bought our first 50# bag of sugar last spring, it was just under $10. Last week it was $13.60. Canned soup, veggies, and fruit; up 0.15-0.20 per can from last year. Peanut butter about 0.50. Bread 0.40 a loaf.
Anything you can buy now that will store for at least a year is going to save you a bundle. Anything we can't produce ourselves, we are buying in larger quantities as a hedge against inflation. Heck, even rock salt went from $4.50 last winter to $4.90 this winter, and that was before the record amounts of snow started flying.
Buy what you can now. It's only going to get worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts