Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been interested in homesteading and survival for years. I have been a stocker of food items and medical supplies and the like for quite a while. These preps have come in really handy over the last 4 years because we have lost jobs, moved 4 times and just had several financial downfalls in general. My family does not seem to recognize this fact. I try to inform them that financial problems are popping up all over the place for US citizens and that things are going to get really bad. My SO is on board to an extent but he does not like to "think" about all of the financial unrest going on around us. My older kids, ages 21 & 20 are still staring at the world through the eyes of teenagers...... I am outnumbered and aggravated at this. I want a larger garden, meat animals and things of this nature but no one else is on board. How did you get your family on your side? :surrender:

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
I have never been able to get my family to prepare either. You just have to go on with your preps without them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems almost like a waste of effort at times. I am at my witt's end with the 21 & 20 year old. I was in the mind set that it would be easier to tackle difficulties together and as a whole but they make that impossible. I am leaning toward telling them that they have to get out into the real world... perhaps that would wake them up a bit? Perhaps if they had to actually buy all of the groceries for themselves (instead of just the junk food they want) they might realize that I am right? It seems like such an extreme measure to go to though...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I barely just got my mother on board. She started to stock water and canned food items in her 2 pantries and I introduced her into couponing. With the intent that she stocks up on things that she buys because they "are a great deal". I had a motive, I'm bad :) She loves her Extreme Couponing show though.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
SHTF happens every day for just about everyone, some recognize it as such and some do not. Loss of jobs, someone breaking into your house or vehicle to steal what you earned, an environmental issue like flood or fire or snow or wind is just another day to some, but, most, it is SHTF ... trouble that needs to be dealt with ...

Getting your family on board is both simple and hard to do - simple because you can show them that you are trying to make things better - hard because they don't always wanna work with you. Be careful of the words and actions that you choose and you can change the attitude of your family to one of being prepared for more situations.

Start with print-outs from Ready.org (government based website) that suggest a 72-hour kit be prepared for a quick grab-n-go in case of evacuation-notice .. move towards information about solar and wind powered systems that will show loved ones that in case of power outtage that you will not loose the food in the fridge and freezer. Teach them gardening and canning and dehydrating (fishing, hunting, jerky-making, etc) to help them learn where food really comes from ...

Make things both fun and entertaining, interesting and practicle and you will slowly find your family coming onboard ...

Good luck!

·
New here
137 Posts
My wife and son are on board (to a point) as is my sister and mom. My mom is 80 and has some food, water and other supplies stored up, but doesn't live in the best area. Her plan is to shelter in place until things start getting worse then go to my sister's house. My sister has 5 acres (her and the mortgage company) with a good size garden and lives less than 1/4 mile from a spring fed lake that I've never seen extremely low. My brother and his wife are somewhat preppers and also have a decent size garden.

The rest of my family (cousins) is pretty much unprepared for anything except maybe a short term power outage. One cousin did ask me if I thought it would be a good idea to stock up on some non perishable food and water as she'd been thinking about it. I told her I thought it was a good idea when two other cousins began calling me an "alarmist" and thought it was ridiculous for anybody to stock up on anything. That caused the cousin who brought the subject up to quickly forget it. :(

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Some of the ways I got my family on board was through movies, books, and stories. The news stories and dire predictions just got a "yeah, yeah, this stuff always goes on". Then we started watching new and old post-apocalyptic movies, and loaned them books like "One Second After", and that got some of them interested and concerned enough to start buying extra.

I also used lines about saving money by buying more when it's on sale. They weren't impressed until I started saying things like "if I can shave off "x" amount of dollars, we can go out for pizza later this month. But I guess you have to be as poverty-stricken as we are to think a $5 pizza from Little Caesar's is a big deal! :D Yum...food of the gods! lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep- just keep on plugging.
Yes sometimes our kids need a good hard wakeup call to grow up. Tough love works.
I have many family members in and around Lillington.. My grandfather was from there. They were McLeans and McDonalds

·
Banned
399 Posts
You can't expect kids to learn if they do not get a chance to experience life.
At 20 and 21 they are old enough to experienc life on their own. Not allowing them their chance is not doing them any favors.

·
Retired Air Force
906 Posts
Everyone is on board in our house. They better be at least. The wife is involved voluntarily, the kids are involved because they want to live in my house and I have no problem kicking them out

·
Registered
983 Posts
DH was a little slow to come around, until I started printing some of the news stories I was reading on the finiancial news. He just had never paid it any attention. When they see it in black and white and are able to have a logical discussion about the subject they will change their minds. So much going on now it is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. World financial problems, drought, floods, wild fires destroying crops, the cost of fuel driving up the cost of things at the store. If and when we find a bargin we buy as much as our budget will allow. Prepare for the worst and Pray for the best.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
At 20 and 21 they are old enough to experienc life on their own. Not allowing them their chance is not doing them any favors.
I have to agree with power, when I was 20 I used to laugh at my mom for some of the things she did preparing for possible food shortages and stuff. My outlook for life was much happier. I expected fortune to be at my doorstep because I was smart and a hard worker. These are good qualities but I underestimated the power of the government to stifle folks like me with taxes and regulation and such. Now (11) years later I have a family of my own and my mom and I encourage each other to prep more. Let them live their lives, encourage them to watch, read, learn about past times of hardship. Its entirely possible for them to come around once they realize how fragile the American dream is especially now with all of the folks in government attacking it and all the moochers expecting the dream is their right to have and someone else needs to give it to them. Keep up your work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My husband has been down this "rabbit hole" for a while, but hid a lot of his fears and concerns from me. The little bit he showed me over the years, plus what I have been seeing made me climb in with him. Now he shares freely of his thoughts and concerns.

As far as outsiders, we are still at a point where we say we are preparing for a personal crisis such as a cut in pay when the topic of my well stocked pantry comes up. People can't believe that when we received a 20% pay cut in August 2009 the last thing that was on our mind was food, and as a matter of fact we didn't buy anything besides milk and eggs for 3 months.

For non-believers that are more dear to me, I just ask them what they would do in a Katrina-type event. I remind them that it can be weeks or maybe even months before the government can get in and help them. What will they do then? My mom has started, to a point, to store canned goods but I can tell that she really doesn't believe she'll ever need it. I have helped her along by getting her into couponing, but...

Personally, we are now in the stage were we're adding to our "Katrina-type" event preparations while looking towards the next level. We have our eyes on a 3 acre parcel close enough so we can keep working at a good pay level but far enough that we can raise goats, poultry and rabbits. Just recently we thought of maybe a tiny beef production situation but we haven't decided for sure. We do know it's possible where we want to buy.

For me, it's easiest to bring up preparing in these steps. "What would you do if you lost your job?" and "What would you do in a Katrina-type event?" It makes my husband and I sound more like we should be listened to and less crackers. If people seriously prepare for the Katrina-type event then we would possibly crack the door and tell the the true reason for the (future) garden, rabbits, chickens and ducks. Until then it's that the home-grown meat tastes better and is healthier...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Some of the ways I got my family on board was through movies, books, and stories. The news stories and dire predictions just got a "yeah, yeah, this stuff always goes on". Then we started watching new and old post-apocalyptic movies, and loaned them books like "One Second After", and that got some of them interested and concerned enough to start buying extra.

I also used lines about saving money by buying more when it's on sale. They weren't impressed until I started saying things like "if I can shave off "x" amount of dollars, we can go out for pizza later this month. But I guess you have to be as poverty-stricken as we are to think a $5 pizza from Little Caesar's is a big deal! :D Yum...food of the gods! lol
But, that's the part I don't get---even with 401K and pensions, and savings, and 6 digit incomes..what does that get you when the floods/fires/earthquakes/insects/hail/tornadoes destroy millions and millions of arable land?? when gas is $6 a gallon and semis can't get to the groceries??
When farmers' costs are so high, they stop growing??
My point being, this doesn't just affect us who love getting a free pizza!!!! It will affect the wealthy also.

·
lojo216
10 Posts
We have had several mini SHTF situations this past year. Oldest son and his family moved down from Michigan and lived with us, I broke my leg and was off work for awhile, husband retired(semi). If it wasn't for the fact that I have always stockpiled food and other supplies, we would have struggled alot more than we did. DIL wants me to teach her how to shop and get her pantry stocked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep- just keep on plugging.
Yes sometimes our kids need a good hard wakeup call to grow up. Tough love works.
I have many family members in and around Lillington.. My grandfather was from there. They were McLeans and McDonalds
I really like this area. Good to see someone from around these parts. I know of several McLeans & McDonalds (not personally) within the community! Yes, unfortunately I think they do need a good hard wake up call!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is true. At this point in time they are grown enough to be on their own but they don't seem to be making that step. I am to the point that they need to pitch in and get on board or just get off of the train.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
But, that's the part I don't get---even with 401K and pensions, and savings, and 6 digit incomes..what does that get you when the floods/fires/earthquakes/insects/hail/tornadoes destroy millions and millions of arable land?? when gas is $6 a gallon and semis can't get to the groceries??
When farmers' costs are so high, they stop growing??
My point being, this doesn't just affect us who love getting a free pizza!!!! It will affect the wealthy also.
It will be a sad and sobering time for them, more so if they didn't prepare ahead of time. Starving is starving, whether you started with a 4-digit income or a 6-digit income.

You're right. It affects EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
We have had several mini SHTF situations this past year. Oldest son and his family moved down from Michigan and lived with us, I broke my leg and was off work for awhile, husband retired(semi). If it wasn't for the fact that I have always stockpiled food and other supplies, we would have struggled alot more than we did. DIL wants me to teach her how to shop and get her pantry stocked.
The DIL involvement is great news..the leg, not so much---have 3 toes broken right now and fell getting into the bath last night---I think I just set my healing back by two weeks...but still smiling...see???:wave:

And Gypsysue---I do believe these ostriches with their heads in the sand think they can 'buy' what they need---just a little more expensive---are they not noticing the floods, Texas fires and Az on fire??
Russia's drought, Austrailia's earthquake, and other flood disasters?? Do they not realize EVERY disaster world-wide effects them???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts