Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Europe, crops are being burned due to the E.Coli outbreak. Texas and Oklahoma are suffering extreme drought. Our county in Texas is the #1 rice producer in the US and we are parched.

Food prices are going to soar very soon.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
In Europe, crops are being burned due to the E.Coli outbreak. Texas and Oklahoma are suffering extreme drought. Our county in Texas is the #1 rice producer in the US and we are parched.

Corn and wheat prices have gone up at least 80% in the last year. This year's harvest is going to be poor. Now would be a good time to stock up on breakfast cereal before it goes up another 50%. I have about 100 boxes stored in sealed plastic totes. I plan on getting another 60 next week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Also, Canada has lost a pretty fair amount of its crops.
I am in SW Manitoba, right in the middle of grain country. Estimates are that we MAY see 20% of the average grain harvest this year. Many fields around me are still under water. The landscape has changed in ways I wouldn't have believed possible. In one year we have gone from being surrounded by grain fields to being surrounded by marshlands.

This area also produces a great deal of beef. Unfortunately, grazing lands are under water and producers are having to feed their herds. There is little feed to be had, and little straw, which was even more important this year, because calves were being born into foot-deep mud; many didn't survive.

There are many stranded herds -- cut off by flood waters, and little feed to take them even if it were available. Cattle producers are already talking about culling breeding stock. Many will have to sell their calves this fall, rather than overwinter them (there is no feed to do so) and there will be a glut of young beef (prices will go down). There will be a brief glut of young beef on the market, and then beef prices will go sky high -- because this year's young, not normally slaughtered until fall 2012 or more -- will already have been culled. Expect beef prices to tank long enough for producers to lose their shirts, then go way beyond the means of the average family. Those producers who do manage to ride this out are in for a good few years from 2013 on, assuming, of course, that grain growing conditions stabilize.

Right now, for grain, I'm seeing prices going crazy this year (no crop), prices staying crazy the next year (no seed/retaining a higher percentage of what *IS* grown for seed for the following year) and still being crazy the year after, assuming this year is an anomaly and there are any crops at all.

Get any grain you can now. We have a brief few weeks before we start to really see this in the grocery stores, IMHO. Those who buy feed are already seeing it, so it won't be long.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
It seems that everywhere is facing some kind of weather issue, here in the shadow of the rockies spring was a month late, and then it got wet, some land still isn't planted, so it won't make grain. on the flip side there should be lots of hay and green feed,(if we can get it off) so maybe some of the manitoba calves will come west.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
there's a real danger of mold in the durum wheat due to the excessive flooding, not to mention root rot & a general weakening of the plants due to saturation

·
Registered
65 Posts
We're almost ready

Here's our larder to date. All this food we grew in our own organic garden, The meat we got from organic source, just working hard to make sure none goes to waste. What we can't eat I can, dry or freeze

BTW I live in Texas too

Attachments

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Im sure this has been said many times, but the real problem with corn at least is the ethanol for fuel issue, helped along by the corn lobby in our presidents home state.
Dont use food for fuel!
I heard on NPR that the even despite all of the bad weather, corn crops are at record levels, but the price is rising due to its use in fuel.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Im sure this has been said many times, but the real problem with corn at least is the ethanol for fuel issue, helped along by the corn lobby in our presidents home state.
Dont use food for fuel!
I heard on NPR that the even despite all of the bad weather, corn crops are at record levels, but the price is rising due to its use in fuel.
it's not the same type of corn, but the land that could be used to grow 'sweet' corn is being utilized to grow more of the 'dent' corn they use in ethanol production (also HFCS & cornflakes) :gaaah: so less domestic production means more imported :rolleyes: uugghhh

let's not forget that GWB foisted much of this on us (after Clinton got the ball rolling of course)...

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Here's our larder to date. All this food we grew in our own organic garden, The meat we got from organic source, just working hard to make sure none goes to waste. What we can't eat I can, dry or freeze

BTW I live in Texas too
absolutely beautiful Cahri, I hope mine turns out looking as nice as yours! I've only canned meat so far cuz our garden isn't ready yet. Great job you did!:2thumb:

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Corn and wheat prices have gone up at least 80% in the last year. This year's harvest is going to be poor. Now would be a good time to stock up on breakfast cereal before it goes up another 50%. I have about 100 boxes stored in sealed plastic totes. I plan on getting another 60 next week.
Did you actually store them in their original containers inside the tote? Or did you dump them into mylar inside the tote?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Did you actually store them in their original containers inside the tote? Or did you dump them into mylar inside the tote?
My question too...I have been storing food for 2 years...and one thing I love is cereal.
At SaveALot, I bought the rice krispies--generic, cheap brand-- and I have been eating them for about 2 years.
They taste just as fresh as when bought.
Will putting them in totes help last longer?? I have them in a room with no sunlight on a top shelf. I just got 3 more totes from the attic--we used them moving here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
My question too...I have been storing food for 2 years...and one thing I love is cereal.
At SaveALot, I bought the rice krispies--generic, cheap brand-- and I have been eating them for about 2 years.
They taste just as fresh as when bought.
Will putting them in totes help last longer?? I have them in a room with no sunlight on a top shelf. I just got 3 more totes from the attic--we used them moving here.

Thanks.
I have them in totes because I'm paranoid about mice. I've heard it suggested that I seal the totes with duck tape.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I have them in totes because I'm paranoid about mice. I've heard it suggested that I seal the totes with duck tape.
Thanks---4 years and no mice here yet---duct tape would do the trick!

Considerign your answer---I have lots of use other than storing boxed cereal for those totes---they are life savers in storing.:2thumb:

Last night, I noticed the cheapest cereal at DG was 1.90---they screw the consumer here because they know they are 1 of 4 stores---that's all we have here...piggy, DG, save a lot, and chinamart---

It's almost as DG isn't the cheapest any longer--I go to Aldi's next door county.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I buy my cereal at Wal-Mart. I prefer name-brand cereal. I buy Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios for myself. The rest of my family prefers sugar cereal like Corn Pops and Honey Smacks. I'd rather eat Grape Nuts and Raisin Bran but I have to stock up on cereal I can eat dry.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts