G'Day From Down Under

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tazman, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Tazman

Tazman Guest

Hi Guys just introducing myself. Names Taz from Australia, and i've only just recently become aware that i should prepare for an emergency.

I've been living pretty ignorantly i suppose because we don't have natural disaster or terrorist threats, but after a discussion with a mate (he's a bit clued on but also slightly paranoid) he somehow convinced me that i should 'be prepared'.

Im really looking forward to lurking and contributing (haha i have absolutely nothing to contribute right now as a complete noob - maybe the occassional 'oh great advice').

I am eager to find information that will benefit my situation and location. I've had a look around and noticed that alot of what i have discovered so far seems to be only relevent to wilderness survival, so i don't know how much a knife and tent will come in hand for me. Maybe i'm wrong, guess i will find out in time.

Anyhow it's great to be here.

2. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! And do not be afraid, most of the people (including myself) who have joined up recently are newcomers to this philosphy and way of thinking. I'm sure you'll do just fine!

greetz,

V.

3. Tazman

Tazman Guest

Thanks for the welcome Vertigo. I noticed you are in Belgium, your survival pack would definitely be different to mine. For starters your food would taste a whole lot better.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hey,

Yeah, if that food were cooked in a belgian restaurant it would taste nice, however food for backpacks is packaged food in any case.... :) Drinks however would be easier to carry along!

Have you been to Belgium maybe?

greetz,

V.

5. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

6. Tazman

Tazman Guest

Hay Vertigo no i haven't been but i've heard good things about the place.

I am beginning to learn about this packaged food (unfortunately). My friend who introduced me to emergency preparedness gave me a sample last night.

I don't remember what is was called but it was kinda cookie-ish and orange. He said it was one of the best things you could get because its light weight and contains all the essential minerals and vitamins to keep you well fed and active.

He mentioned there is alot of packaged food but not too many that give you the energy to keep moving. Which i thought was kinda odd because i read somewhere else that you are meant to stay nearby the emergency area so you are easier to find - unless of course that location will put your life at risk.

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome Canadian, much appreciated.

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

welcome to the forum, Tazman! :congrat:

you need the extra calories for energy, to stay warm, to stay alert, to keep a positive mental attitude, to reduce stress, etc etc; all things essential to survival.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome, Tazman! I'm also new to this way of thinking and living. You will find much of the conversation on this site is just people new to the preparedness mindset bouncing ideas off each other and seeing what works and does not work. There are also plenty of "old timers" in the mindset, all of whom share information freely.

As a side note, I've mentioned before I used to be a volunteer firefighter. As such, I got to know most of our township cops pretty good. I'm in the southwest corner of Pennsylvania, about as far from Australia as you can get. Here one day this officer gets out of his patrol car at a wreck or something and sounded like Crocodile Dundee. Here he was an Aussie who just wanted to get away (not sure why...never asked) and try something new. His name is Vince but we all just called him Mate. :) Really cool guy. Ok, that's my Australia story. :D

9. Tazman

Tazman Guest

Haha that's a good story Jason. You call an aussie 'mate' and they will feel right at home. And here's another one for you. If your talking to an aussie who is a bit stressed just say to them - 'she'll be right'.

And Blob thanks for your comments. And since you mentioned it, i'm now wondering if i would get away with having a survival pack full of energy and protein bars. All the ones i've tried don't really taste that great but are definitely tastier then that cookie stuff. Having said that, when it comes to survival you obviously need to make a few compromises.

10. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

Hello! Glad to have you here, I have been gone for a bit, but I am back now, lol.