Garlic month

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by *Andi, Apr 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

April is National Garlic Month. Garlic is not only one of nature’s most potent flavors, it also makes a very healthy addition to your diet. If you’ve somehow managed to make it this far into the month without enjoying some garlic, here are some recipes to get you started

Garlic Jelly - Sounds different ??? Anyone ever made it before ???
    Cheesy Garlic Bread
    and Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Recipes at link ...

Gratifying Grub for Garlic Month | Farmers' Almanac

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Keeps vampires away too!!!:D:eek:

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Jelly????????? Probably not.

Bread and potatoes. INDEED!!! :)

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I have had garlic jelly. Well it was a Jalapeno Garlic jelly and it was fairly recent. I associate jelly with sweet so having it savory and not accompanied by peanut butter was weird. I'm always open to new foods so I tried it more than once and I'll have to try it again but it wasn't the greatest. I had it with crackers and summer sausage so it seems like the perfect accompaniment. I think I was the only one who tried it more than once. The wife hated it.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

We have red and green jalapeno jelly, at Xmas time we pour it over a couple of blocks of cream cheese cut-out like a Xmas tree, pour red on one side green on the other. Red is a little hotter. Then dig in with crackers. Yumbo!!!

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

LOL :D I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the links Bob ... looks like a fun time at the festivals.:2thumb:

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I read that before Christmas then when I was eating I thought of you. I don't know about the garlic. If I like something I try it few time. If I don't a few more than that. I have to eat it like a dozen more times before I can decide.

9. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Garlic is my favorite garden veggie.... I have 17 rows. Nothing bothers it. I love garlic in mashed potatoes. At the garlic festivals they have garlic Ice cream. I love it! Sounds terrible but it is quite good.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Now I like garlic ... but garlic Ice cream :eek: lol :D

11. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Made a garlic beer that went primo with pasta !

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

What's wrong with garlic Jelly Belly Jelly Beans?:scratch

13. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

garlic--dehydrating or chopping and putting in fridge

Has anyone dehydrated garlic? I have lots of garlic currently, that I got from someone else and I would like to dehydrate it.

You may have seen the jars of finely chopped garlic in the stores. I wondered if I chopped up all this garlic if it would last like the stuff at the store, or if there was something else I need to do. I have been buying the jars for a few years and love the convenience. It seems to last indefinitely. Has anyone tried this?

14. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

:flower:I haven't ever dehydrated it, but come July I'm a gona. I have over 100 garlic plants and I don't have great success in keeping garlic more than 6 months. I don't know why it wouldn't be fine. I am going to do 1/4 of my garlic and see how it goes.

15. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I put garlic in everything but chocolate pudding!

16. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Did you ever try garlic ice cream?
    It sounds terrible but it tastes pretty good. It is dehydrated garlic mixed into vanilla ice cream. Not a lot just here and there.
    It reminds me of when I was young and my mother would put a few broken up potato chips on vanilla ice cream. It was almost like butterscotch ice cream...... darn it, I have to stop saying ice cream.............. now I want some!!!!!!!!!!! Even with garlic and chips.

17. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

Yes I have. I buy the big conainer of peeled whole cloves, especially during canning season. It has only about a month before expiring so I slice it and dehydrate it for a rainy day. Turns brown, but whitens back up again in the dish I'm cooking. I dry mine til hard.