Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April is National Garlic Month. Garlic is not only one of nature's most potent flavors, it also makes a very healthy addition to your diet. If you've somehow managed to make it this far into the month without enjoying some garlic, here are some recipes to get you started

Garlic Jelly - Sounds different ??? Anyone ever made it before ???
Cheesy Garlic Bread
and Garlic Roasted Potatoes

Recipes at link ...

Gratifying Grub for Garlic Month | Farmers' Almanac

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I have had garlic jelly. Well it was a Jalapeno Garlic jelly and it was fairly recent. I associate jelly with sweet so having it savory and not accompanied by peanut butter was weird. I'm always open to new foods so I tried it more than once and I'll have to try it again but it wasn't the greatest. I had it with crackers and summer sausage so it seems like the perfect accompaniment. I think I was the only one who tried it more than once. The wife hated it.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I have had garlic jelly. Well it was a Jalapeno Garlic jelly and it was fairly recent. I associate jelly with sweet so having it savory and not accompanied by peanut butter was weird. I'm always open to new foods so I tried it more than once and I'll have to try it again but it wasn't the greatest. I had it with crackers and summer sausage so it seems like the perfect accompaniment. I think I was the only one who tried it more than once. The wife hated it.
We have red and green jalapeno jelly, at Xmas time we pour it over a couple of blocks of cream cheese cut-out like a Xmas tree, pour red on one side green on the other. Red is a little hotter. Then dig in with crackers. Yumbo!!!

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
We have red and green jalapeno jelly, at Xmas time we pour it over a couple of blocks of cream cheese cut-out like a Xmas tree, pour red on one side green on the other. Red is a little hotter. Then dig in with crackers. Yumbo!!!
I read that before Christmas then when I was eating I thought of you. I don't know about the garlic. If I like something I try it few time. If I don't a few more than that. I have to eat it like a dozen more times before I can decide.

·
mamoo
2,746 Posts
Garlic is my favorite garden veggie.... I have 17 rows. Nothing bothers it. I love garlic in mashed potatoes. At the garlic festivals they have garlic Ice cream. I love it! Sounds terrible but it is quite good.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garlic is my favorite garden veggie.... I have 17 rows. Nothing bothers it. I love garlic in mashed potatoes. At the garlic festivals they have garlic Ice cream. I love it! Sounds terrible but it is quite good.
Now I like garlic ... but garlic Ice cream :eek: lol :D

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
garlic--dehydrating or chopping and putting in fridge

Has anyone dehydrated garlic? I have lots of garlic currently, that I got from someone else and I would like to dehydrate it.

You may have seen the jars of finely chopped garlic in the stores. I wondered if I chopped up all this garlic if it would last like the stuff at the store, or if there was something else I need to do. I have been buying the jars for a few years and love the convenience. It seems to last indefinitely. Has anyone tried this?

·
mamoo
2,746 Posts
:flower:I haven't ever dehydrated it, but come July I'm a gona. I have over 100 garlic plants and I don't have great success in keeping garlic more than 6 months. I don't know why it wouldn't be fine. I am going to do 1/4 of my garlic and see how it goes.

·
mamoo
2,746 Posts
Did you ever try garlic ice cream?
It sounds terrible but it tastes pretty good. It is dehydrated garlic mixed into vanilla ice cream. Not a lot just here and there.
It reminds me of when I was young and my mother would put a few broken up potato chips on vanilla ice cream. It was almost like butterscotch ice cream...... darn it, I have to stop saying ice cream.............. now I want some!!!!!!!!!!! Even with garlic and chips.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Has anyone dehydrated garlic? I have lots of garlic currently, that I got from someone else and I would like to dehydrate it.

You may have seen the jars of finely chopped garlic in the stores. I wondered if I chopped up all this garlic if it would last like the stuff at the store, or if there was something else I need to do. I have been buying the jars for a few years and love the convenience. It seems to last indefinitely. Has anyone tried this?
Yes I have. I buy the big conainer of peeled whole cloves, especially during canning season. It has only about a month before expiring so I slice it and dehydrate it for a rainy day. Turns brown, but whitens back up again in the dish I'm cooking. I dry mine til hard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.