garden for 2010

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by bunkerbob, Apr 2, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Well the potatoes are up and at'em, grapes are leafing out, the artichokes are growing like crazy, does anyone love artichokes as much as I do, yum. The fruit trees are in full bloom and yes the song birds have been busy.

Attached Files:

2. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

Looking like spring has sprung. Expanding my garden this year from 500 sq ft raised bed to 8 4x12ft raised beds. Ground around here is like concrete, way lots of clay.
    We got about and inch of snow last night, but all the seeds are germinating just fine in indoor greenhouse. Hope to get planting in about 2 weeks.

Your garden looks great!

3. bunkerbob

It didn't always look like this, had lots of clay also, 6 dumptruck loads of composted horse manure and about 5 cubic yards of compost later. And a lot of tiller work.
    Its 77 above 0 today, flipflops and shorts.:D:2thumb:

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Great pictures! :2thumb:

Taters are in the ground along with most of the cool weather crops. Cherry, peach and plum trees are in bloom with the apple coming on. I love spring.:D

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

78 here yesterday; 80 today. :p

Taters, peas, beets, carrots and lettuce are in. Lots of pretty pink blossoms on the new peach trees although I don't expect any fruit the first year.

That's a nice big tiller you got there Bob. Why don't you stop over here and do my corn field for me. Probably only take you about 20 minutes. I have a tank of diesel and I'll fill the tractor for you. :D

6. bunkerbob

Would if I could, then you won't say that you don't have a "BOB".:D

7. UncleJoe

:D Good one!

Now that you mention it though, I do have a Bob. He's the guy that gives me all that fruit and berries in exchange for a few truckloads of woodchips.

8. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

:gaah: Swept the snoww ooff the solar panels yesterday...ground frozen in the garden...sigh! The only thing green around here is me. I'm greeeen with envy.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm sorry ... When will you be able to start on your garden?

10. mosquitomountainman

I'm guessing that in about three weeks the ground might be thawed out enough to plant something.

The good thing is that once things start growing the days here are really long so we get lots of sunlight. The nights are cold even in the summer (think blankets for sleeping) and that slows things down a bit despite the many hours of sun.

Despite being jealous of all of you getting a early start on gardening by fall I'm tired of the garden and ready to do something else. Let's see... Plant garden in May, July - pick huckleberries, August backpacking in the mountains, September - harvest crops/ produce, begin bow season for deer and elk, gun season for bear, grouse season opens, Mid-October - Bow season closes, gun season begins for deer and elk, end of November - big game season ends mink, muskrat, beaver, otter trapping season begins, December - Bobcat, marten, ermine trapping season, January through February - trapping season ends mid Feb., December through April snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, ice fishing, spring breakup, May - begin again with gardening. Summer months fishing, kayaking, bicycling, camping, PAINTBALL!!! and swimming (if you can find a lake that's warm enough:D).

Yep, if you want to be bored around here you have to work at it!

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

mosquitomountainman :D

Peas are up and grapes coming on. :2thumb:

12. TreeMUPKennel

TreeMUPKennel Well-Known Member

Love them artichokes, you can send them my way if you get tired off them. Going to try my luck growing some this yr HMMMMMM yummy. Them things are like 3 to 4 bucks :eek:at the grocery store when they have them you'll go broke tring to eat them.

13. bunkerbob

Easy to grow, keep soil moist not wet, light fert, winter they die back. In Spring the root takes off, like in the photos. Those are about 4 years old now. Green Globe variety. Easy to transplant or move, wait till winter die off and dig up root stock, which can be divided and replanted in garden. You can even container grow them. I make marinated hearts from the abundant small ones, just peel cut in half or quarters and cook until tender, mix white vinegar, olive oil, oregano, garlic and a little salt, and put up in jars like pickles, yum!!!

14. mosquitomountainman

Oh sure, just rub it in! More snow today.:cry:

15. UncleJoe

Potatoes came up this week. :)
    Asparagus is peeking through now too. :D

Sorry MMM, we got the BUG and gotta let it out or we explode. ;)

16. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I know where some land is for sell in Virginia.;)

17. bunkerbob

Well the overnight cold snap here just knocked down the beans, potatoes and cucs just emerging.:gaah::gaah:
    Today in the 80s.:surrender:

18. mosquitomountainman

Ouch! That stinks. At least the potatoes will come back and the others are short season crops and can be replanted.

19. UncleJoe

Peas are up! :2thumb:

Sorry about your setbacks Bob. That's what a lot of us went through all last year.

20. bunkerbob

Just replanted kentuk beans, cucs, more lettuce, carrots, spinach, radishes, dill for canning and zucs. Fingers crossed. Potatoes ok