Funny how the years change your perspective...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Husker, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Husker

Husker Member

When I was a kid growing up in rural Nebraska, my family shared a large garden, about 1/2 acre, with another neighbor. Dang, I hated that thing. The worst punishment I could be given was to spend the morning in the garden weeding. My parents had cherry and apple trees also -- I had a great disdain for having to pick those cherries every year.

Fast forward 30 years -- we are in the process of buying some land. Looking forward to having a large garden again. Maybe even throw some fruit trees on it. Heck, I just bought my first Bell Blue book. My kids are going to hate it. ;)

2. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

too funny, sounds like most of our lives........won't it be awesome if your kids just love it..........quickly becoming into alignment with new life, adventure and possibilities............yep, that's what we want for them, discovery and a change of pace! Glad you are able to do this, it rekindles things in people when they get back outside to work in the dirt, trees, etc....... good luck for you and your family.........:congrat:

3. Jezcruzen

Jezcruzen Well-Known Member

I can relate. As a young boy I only had distain for the raw cow's milk in the "ice box" (as my grandmother called the frig) and the homemade butter. And I much preferred "store bought" bread than those biscuits baked early each morning and used for every meal that day. Sure miss it now!

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I live on what was until 2000 an active dairy farm. I hated it as a kid. Being tied to the cows made me miss a lot of stuff and I hated the cows for it. Now that I'm grown and 11 years removed, I'd give anything to be able to earn a living off the land, milking and managing a dairy farm. I have a good job that I do like, but if I could milk cows again I would in a second. We quit because we were a small scale farm and there were no other dairy farms around us so nobody would haul our milk.

That said, we do still run beef cows once in a while and we have chickens and rabbits. We still raise and sell crops, mainly hay and some corn and small grain. My son (just turned 3) loves riding in the tractors and helping with the animals and I really hope that since we aren't tied to the land as much that my boy likes it more than I did.

You hit the nail on the head, Husker. Typing this out brought up a bunch of old (good) memories and I'm happy that it did. Thanks! :)

5. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

I think that most kids "hate the way they were raised. My dd's boyfriend has a two year old. She is helping raise him. the other day she was laughing about what he had done and what she told him, when she says she found her self saying the same thing her parents had said to her. "If you do that again you won't sit down for a week!" she told me she suddenly felt just like us. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.:2thumb::2thumb:

6. IndigoLight

IndigoLight Spiritual Prepper

Oh, Husker, you are so right :D
    I spent early years of my life outside of the US, and it was a necessity in most places to have a garden and/or a potato field. I hated that I had to work there. Hated it. Planting and weeding, collecting and preserving. Yuck!
    I could've been dancing or reading a book instead :D

Fast forward 30 years - I am in the same boat you are. I long for a garden and feel that working the land will be very beneficial for my mental and physical health, it will be a spiritual workout as well, not to mention the yummy "fruit" it will provide. Hoping to start my garden this fall.
    Garlic will be my first crop. You can't have too much garlic, eh? :beercheer:

Thank you for starting this thread :thumbraise:

7. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

The city slicker part of em misses the candy stores where they rolled taffy and made fudge.Where escalators seemed high tech in Sears and Robuck,no malls.
    You were safe going to the threatre and walking the downtown streets at night or catching a bus home.
    Living part time in the country where you felt free just runnign through the woods and fishing and swimming in your own lake.Getting down on your knees and drinking from a clear cold natural spring.
    Never milked cows,but lived next door to dairy farm where they would 'visit'when breaking down our fences,us kids always liked to seethem,can't say the same for mama.

8. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

You all had it made. I enjoyed when I visited by cousins in Missouri.

Me I had a terrible upbringing. No cows, horses, I saw those on TV. I grew up in Central California. It was terrible, surfing, skateboarding riding pools, etc.

Going to parties, smoking the 'erb...LOL

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

hahaha a few times a year that would happen & we would have a back yard full of cows, good thing we had an Old English Sheepdog back then ;)

we would have to go down to the farm and tell the Mennonites in person because they had no phone then

10. BillM

BillM BillM

How about

How about, "I'll skin you within an inch of your life" or "I'll beat you like a rented mule"?

My personal faviorite was when they told me, "Next time it will be twice as bad". I wondered what that would be like !

:2thumb:

11. Meerkat

LOL,our neighbor had a phone but did'nt like us complaining about his cows.They would break down our dam that backed up our 10 acre lake that was fed by natural springs which are all long gone now from over population.
    I also loved the city too.We had apts and houses there from granddaddy who owned lots of real estate in Atlanta area.Atlanta was a beautiful city.So was Stone Mountain.Both of which are danger zones now,thanks to liberals and RINOS who put almost whole state on welfare of some from or another.

12. IndigoLight

IndigoLight Spiritual Prepper

:lolsmash:

13. crazychickenlady

crazychickenlady Well-Known Member

Ahhh, memories! :) The only thing I hated was picking beans. Probably because we had a half dozen rows that were like 100' long. :(

Haying it got old and bringing in the firewood too, but that never seemed as bad as picking beans.

I loved! We had horses, cows, pigs, chickens, ducks...nothin' better for a kid!

14. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We heated with wood when I was a kid. I never minded cutting firewood. In fact, now my folks heat with oil but I heat my house with wood, via an outdoor wood burner. I deal with firewood in the fall, winter, and spring-too much other stuff going on in the summer to deal with wood. Plus, it's good winter exercise and there are less bugs/snakes/ miscellaneous nasties to deal with when it's cold outside.

15. Meerkat

I hated hauling water uphill from the well,it was only 125'deep but still hard to pull up the bske with that pully.And if you EVER let that handle loose with a full bucket of water,you had a bad injury,usually elbows or wrist.:gaah:.

No beans or garden,we bought from farmers market or grocery stores.

16. Meerkat

We had a fire place in every room of the old house,except kitchen,bath.Sometimes we used coal to heat and cook.

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I didn't mind helping with firewood cutting, but I hated our garden and I hated living in the country. I swore I'd never raise my kids in the middle of nowhere or make them work in a garden.

Fast-forward 35 years, plus or minus, and here we are, way out in the sticks with a big garden and orchard! The kids were in their teens when we moved here, so they weren't all that excited. Fled to the city as soon as they were old enough, and some of them are trickling back to the country now, and the ones left in town are dabbling with gardens and canning.

18. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

I never understood why the old folks liked those ugly vegetables from the garden instead of the pretty ones from the store. What was so great about the root beer in the basement that I couldn't get some from the store? And why do they bother with the corn liquor, it's nothing but trouble? Why did we spend all the time on berries from the woods? Why bother to fish when there's Gortons Fishsticks in the freezer? Why bother doing all the work of cutting firewood when we could just bump up the thermostat? Why bother cooking when McDonald's was so cheap? Boy, was I a dummy. Luckily for my kids, they ask those questions, and I tell them. Sometimes they may not like the answers, but at least they know my reasons (and are taught how to do it). It was "old hat" to the old folks, so they never bothered to explain. At best, we got "Hmph. Young people these days. Hmph." I just wish I could grow as many ugly veggies as they used to from that tiny corner of dirt. Sadly, they're all with their maker now, and I'm reinventing the wheel.

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

kyhoti, you have a way with words. What you just wrote is wonderful.

20. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

Absolute child abuse!!! LOL I remember one time the social worker told me that I could not force my foster kids to work around the farm. Really? And who else is going to take them. Our home was the "last resort" for these kids anyway. They were the kids who had been kicked out of other foster homes. The same social worker also thought it was abusive that we did not own a tv. She complained about it every time she came by, but I knew those kids were "stuck" with me because she didn't have any other placements for them. LOL

Think of how great the world would be if all kids have to pick beans and weed a few rows in a garden. :rolleyes: