Fruit Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by razorback, Feb 18, 2013.

1. razorback

razorback Well-Known Member

DH planted a small orchard yesterday :D with the help of his folks. I didn't get home until after dark so I didn't get to see what exactly they had done
    =(

Now to wait.....

Did I mention I'm not good at waiting

2. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

awesome............we started our orchard last fall.....will be adding about 30 more fruit and nut trees coming this fall after clearing the rest of our southwest corner of the property....
    heres a few apple and pear.....
    [​IMG]

we figure our lil' orchard will be about 1-1 1/2 acres when done...and will be a good area for our beehives to stay cool.
    keep on growin' yer homestead razorback.........we're gonna need to be ahead of those who can't or won't take the time and monetary sacrifice to become self sufficient......talk is cheap, but so is land....;)....for now that is.....

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Congrats!

An orchard is a great thing to have and a little on the habit forming side. :p

Best of luck with it.

4. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Down here its hard to keep them producing.Anna Apples keep blooming then coems a freeze,last year they actually bloomed 3 times.Peaches kicked the bucket after 2nd yr..

We want a greenhouse big enough for small trees.Our plums seem to do ok,some of these old pecan trees would just feed the squirrels.Buy the time we cleared around one side the other side grew back up so we gave up.

5. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

when the SHTF givin' up aint gonna be an option Meercat.........:rolleyes:

6. Bobbb

Bobbb Well-Known Member

Hey Tribal Warlord Thug, congrats on your new thug identity. I remember you writing in response to aardvark that you were going to adopt this name in his honor and it's been a long time in coming but you happy day has arrived. I rejoice with you in your new thuggishness.

My problem: I can't remember who you were. The name change wiped out your old handle.

7. Meerkat

Do I know you? That name reminds me of a psycho 'dude' on another site.:surrender:

No I did'nt give up on everything,just a few hard headed trees.I have a great frame fro a greenhouse,just need help to put it up.All these techtronics and peoples busier than ever.

I have a leanto but its not big enough for trees.

8. mojo4

mojo4 Well-Known Member

I love planting fruit trees. In fact that's all I plant. Why people plant a tree that only gives shade is beyond me. I was buying my 2 pear trees at home depot and I remember the lady in front of me specifically asking about the leaf color in the fall. Yeah lady, its nice n red so maybe you can nibble on red leaves. Another moron. I absolutely refuse to plant any tree that doesn't give me something in return.

9. SlobberToofTigger

SlobberToofTigger Blah Blah Blah

+10 If it does not produce food for me or my animals I see no reason to plant it either.

10. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Congrats! :congrat:

Andi's right, it's addictive. Three years ago we bought 4 trees (apple/cherry) when we moved here - we're now up to 36 trees. :eek: (and that doesn't include the wild cherry and wild plum and the elderberries and blueberries, oh, and did I mention the nut trees....? Yeah, addictive.)

11. valannb22

valannb22 Well-Known Member

Awesome! On a related note, has anyone tried planting any of those multi-variety trees? I've seen quite a few that will produce three or more varieties on one tree and will self pollinate. If they produce well, I'd like to plant a couple of them

12. razorback

razorback Well-Known Member

I didn't make it home last night before dark (come on time change) so I still haven't seen what they did LOL!!! Then storms last night brought a call from Granny (my MIL) telling us to check the trees LOL!! Maybe today I can see them!! Keeping fingers crossed :D

Hey I have some of those pretty in the fall trees in my yard, too. For a long time I didn't want fruit trees, I grew up a city girl and we had a pear and plum tree in the back yard. I still have nightmares about picking up rotten fruit off the ground. Our yard had a 6ft fence so no critters were getting in there and if they did they were toast with the type dogs we had. Which brings on a whole new nightmare of picking up rotten fruit and keeping your bag away from the dogs. I swear I could hear my parents laughing as we chased the dogs around the yard trying to get our trash bag full of rotten fruit back from the dogs. Around and around the tree we would go, then they would drop the bag and wait for us to get right to it and off they'd be again. Yeah I'm almost sure the folks where laughing.

Now though I'm a country girl that enjoys looking out my back window and seeing deer so maybe I won't have to pick up rotten fruit :D

I'm not 100% sure how many they planted but I think 16 and we have 2 plum we have to find a place for.

13. Meerkat

Hey Warlord,you did'nt pick up your marbles and go home did you?:dunno:

Was just kiddign with ya.:wave:

14. mojo4

mojo4 Well-Known Member

Heck I've never even heard of those before!! Buy 2 n lemme know how they work out! Sounds awesome!

15. valannb22

valannb22 Well-Known Member

16. Sybil6

Sybil6 Member

I'd be careful and watch those trees closely!! We had somebody steal our apple trees one night, and come back the next, tearing up our barbed wire fence and stealing our pear trees too!! People will take anything these days!!

17. PreparedRifleman73

PreparedRifleman73 Well-Known Member

Isn't that a LOT of fruit?

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

You can never have to much fruit. ;)

19. goshengirl

That's what dehydrators and canners and juicers are for. :)

20. goshengirl

That is just SO wrong! :mad: