From Tree to Canoe

Discussion in 'Wood Working' started by tmttactical, Apr 16, 2017.

1. tmttactical

tmttactical Supporting Member

How is was done in days of old.

Sometimes, older forms of technology are just as fascinating as the latest gadget. A Latvian woodworker named Rihards Vidzickis recently posted up a mesmerizing video of a recent project: creating a dugout canoe from a single tree trunk.

Vidzickis is a master woodworker who specializes in green wood (recently cut, as opposed to dried). The accompanying description explains that he earned his doctorate in engineering materials science, and knows the wood down to a scientific level. In the video, he begins with a rough log, and we follow the project as he carves off the bark and hacks the wood out of the center using a variety of specialized, traditional tools. One of the most interesting parts is when they use hundreds of little dowels to figure out how much to carve out of the middle: they drill holes and push them through, using the dyed end to see when they’ve cut out the right amount.

The entire documentary runs just under 20 minutes, and from beginning to end, the entire process of turning a log into a usable, beautiful boat is awe-inspiring.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/16/15319398/rihards-vidzickis-wood-working-dugout-canoe-video-watch

CrackbottomLouis likes this.
  2. Flight1630

Flight1630 Junior Member

wow, now that's a forgotten talent, truly amazing work.

3. tmttactical

Wow, I did not know about the penalty clause. Talk about a tough crowd. i guess it would make a canoe builder VERY, VERY careful. Glad i picked a different profession, they only fired me.

Thanks for the info. Love these types of insight, never got in history class.

4. AmmoSgt

AmmoSgt ExCommunicated

I don't know where those folks live, but they seriously need a Cabela's

5. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

6. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

I forgot the subject. Sorry I have never ridden in a wooden homemade conue I bet they are heavy,but nice.

Then I bet you know what a bastard file is? I thought they were being vulgar when they sent me across a shipyard after one. I didn't want to cuss in front of the parts man so I said they want a real big file as I tried to describe it man said, you mean a bastard file. I had to drag that thing up several flights of steps and across a gangplank.

StarFish ship with a bunch of muscle bound Greek's.

7. tmttactical

At least they did not send you for a skyhook.:D

8. crabapple

Skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Meerkat

What is that?

10. tmttactical

It is a non-existing tool that millwrights love to send apprentices to go find. They will be sent from one group to another. Fun for all except the apprentice. The apprentices do learn their tool of the trade very quickly. The best comeback I saw was an apprentice who was sent out to get the skyhook. He got into his car went to lunch and came and told his journeyman, it was out of stock. :D

11. crabapple

Attached Files:

12. Meerkat

I'm glad they didn't play that game. I only lasted 4 hours on that job. I passed out on the deck. Only job I ever passed out on think it is only time I passed out too.

If we were younger building a canoe might be fun.

13. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

When I first went to work for Square "D" Company one of the older guys sent me to find a wire stretcher, thing is I knew there were wire stretchers, albeit fence wire stretchers, yeah I got laughed at. A different time a young new worker came to me looking for a bucket of steam, I wish I would have had a little dry ice with some water to put in his bucket to send back with him to his tormentors.

weedygarden likes this.