Free maps, been stupifyed by your GPS?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by sailaway, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I just finnished 2 weeks on the road and covered close to 5,000 miles. I went through half the states east of the Mississippi. I have a gps which I rely on like a crutch. I started thinking about the big case of maps that I carried pre gps. They are all 5 yrs. old. I got to be thinking what if the satalite system went down, I would be in bad shape. I always carry a back up truckers atlas, but even it is an 05 edition. I started stopping in each welcome center as I entered a new state and picked up one of their state maps up for free. I think it is a good idea to have an assortment of current maps as back up for a BO situation. Has anyone else been stupifyed like me?

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I usually use mapquest or randmcnally online for directions. I do not have a GPS. I always try to have current maps of where I am going. I stop at the welcome centers for mine too. I guess I am a little old fashioned in that I prefer to use a paper map. I can understand those. GPS, too much technology for this old girl!

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

With all the traveling you do in the east, I would think by now you should know "east of the Mississippi" as well as Sandusky. :D

4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I don't have a GPS and rely on paper as well. Mrs. Zoom has a GPS and when we're traveling, I tell her she can play with it all she wants but I'd better not see the screen nor hear it talk. I don't trust them as far as I can spit. Had them give me too many directions I knew were wrong. Most just then say "Well, it'll get you there eventually". BTW, did you notice how much they're strapped down in rental cars? No matter how hard you try to rip it out to throw out the window, it just won't budge.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I think I use my GPS more like an I-pod... I've put 20GB of muzak on it :D

does anyone buy those County/City Map books? They have individual cities mapped out in detail. I have about 10 of those for the counties I drive in the most.

You can request a map from most states & get a free map sent to you, well, you used to be able to, who knows :confused: that money could be going to teach Apefricans how to wash their junk for all I know... :nuts:

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have a GPS embedded in my head. So far, it has never steer'd me wrong. :2thumb:

Actually, I have memorized hundreds of maps and I know my north from south just from looking at the sky (day or night). Compass - ya, I can work with that too, but, it usually stays put away. I don't wear a watch, so, I "guess" time by sun position and time of year. I have a 90% accuracy for I am within 15 minutes of actual time which I think is pretty darn good for lookin' at shadows.

Now, I do have a GPS and WildMist has one, but, like bczoom, if the GPS is turned on, it is positioned so that WildMist can see it and the sound is killed because I know the roads way better than what the GPS does ... one particular case of travelling, it wanted me to drive through downtown Calgary with a trailer attached during Friday afternoon rush-hour!! :gaah: I back-roaded the trip and probably got to the destination two hours faster than tryin' to jockey my way through the core :nuts:

7. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Are you familiar with the way to do that using your outstretched arm and counting fingers?

Extend your arm fully out in front of you and point your fingers inward.

Position the bottom of your pinky on the horizon. In the pic below, I used the grass but if I wanted to get sunset based on when it would set behind the trees, I would have put the bottom of my hand on the top of the trees.

For most people, you use the knuckle where the red line is for measurement.

Each finger is 15 minutes. Keeping this hand still, you stack your other hand on this one and keep going stacking your hands up the sky until you reach the bottom of the sun. Each full hand is 1 hour and each finger is 15 minutes.

If you know what time sunset is, you can compute current time. If you don't know, at least you know how many hours you have left before the sun sets...

[​IMG]

8. NaeKid

Noppers .. haven't ever heard of that system before. I have a real good internal clock that I can use to "time" the cooking of food, or to judge how long something has been happening and combining that with my judgement of time based on the sun, my guesstimates are close enough for most people.

I've been tested many times where someone asks what time it was, I'll respond quickly with my guess'd time and someone will pull out their phone or look at their watch and tell me that I was off by xx amount of minutes .. and most of the time it is within 15 minutes of "actual" time ... WildMist hasn't figured out how I can be "on time" for anything when she has never seen me with a time-keeper on me ...

9. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

You can use my technique for timing food. Just start counting hands above the stove, until it reaches where the sun would be. :p:D

I believe it's an old Norwegian technique. I learned it in Scouts when I was a pup. I'll teach it to my Scouts this year.

10. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

good for you, glad to see Scouts are learning REAL skills somewhere... around here, it's a bunch of PC bullcrap

11. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

I just rented a car on the Big Island of Hawaii.
    Budget tried to get me to rent a GPS for $79.
    There's only 2 major roads on the whole island. :rolleyes:
    If the ocean is on the left you're going clockwise on the right counterclockwise.

12. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

They try that on me. My cellphone has a built-in GPS feature. They don't like that... they say their GPS is better. I got the funniest look from them when I told them we both use the same satellite and therefore get the same signal. :p

13. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

That's where I was (Hawaii) when I tried to rip the GPS out of the car. I was in Honolulu and it tried to put me going the wrong direction on the interstate. BTW... Why does Hawaii have an "Interstate" road system?

14. NaeKid

The road goes to a ferry to bring people back to the mainland??

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

15. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Me and my GPS

I do use it, and with only one exception it seems to do ok...BUT..and please "LADIES" forgive me but if I ever get my hands on the BITC er female thing! that they used to yell "RE-CALCULATING" ever time I pull over for coffee or......... :D I will shoot her!!!

If you cover many states and are ready to bug out regardless of where you are you might want a collection of those "State Atlas" type books, the ones that break the entire state down to a grid and show every tiny goat path.. you can head thru some back country on those roads... I have checked their accuracy in areas I know and they do seem to be pretty well on the mark.. might save your buns!!

And I agree, having a bunch of "current ?" maps is like having a Jack and lug wrench... handy tools..

16. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Had to look it up but here it is.
    Any highway built under the auspices of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 and funded by the federal government is called an interstate highway, even if it doesn't cross state lines. In fact, there are many local routes that lie entirely within a single state funded by the Act.

Hawaii has three interstates - H1, H2, and H3 - which connect important military facilities on the island of Oahu.

I knew it had to do with the way it was paid for.

Ferry to the mainland? That would be one long ride. :)

17. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I don't know what kind of GPS you have but on Mrs. Zoom's Garmin, you can change the voice. She has it as some English Pirate guy. She also changed her marker (or whatever it is that shows your current position) into a pirate ship.
    He does still says "Calculating"...

18. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I have a Garmin, but I hate that broad so much I stay awake yelling at her when I get tired... I think I'll keep her...:scratch

19. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Ahhh, a true love-hate relationship.

20. bassman

bassman Active Member

I learned this method(called fat finger) years ago in a little book called The Green Beret's Compass Course by Pathfinder Publications 150 Hamakua Rd./Suite401 Kailua, Hawaii 96734
    A great little book, I recommend to anyone!
    Technology is great but it has it's limitations! We should all know how to navigate without it!