Free Land

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by mosquitomountainman, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

There's an article on the link telling about free land offers. Obviously there are strings attached and the offerings tend to be in small, obscure places but that might be perfect for people like us if you can find a way to make a living there. Check it out if you're interested.

Happy hunting!

7 Towns Where Land is Free - Yahoo! Real Estate

2. Turner

Turner Member

i have looked at the free land in Beatrice, NE but since it is a homestead act, the land is still 'in town' so you would trade another urban or possibly rural setting to a urban BOL. I would consider it if were outside of town

3. Klayton

Klayton Member

Just looked at the free land links listed in Kansas, the average is 1/3 of an acre. That is it, AND you are going to be in newly developed subdivisions. Not what I would like to move to from a survivalist point of view...

Just my two copper pieces...

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I wouldn't rule out a piece of property just because it was in a town or subdivision. Under the right circumstances having friends around would be a good thing. Some of those little farm towns will be good places to be if TSHTF. I know because I've lived in some of them. If you get active in the community and make some friends you'd be surprised what kind of people and resources are available. If it wasn't for my allergies we'd probably be near a community in the midwest. The growing seasons are fantastic and the people are generally good. If a person is stuck in a rented house, apartment or small lot in a big city it would be definite step up on survival possibilities in a SHTF situation so don't just dismiss it out of hand. It's something a person could check out.

The biggest challenge in these places will be how to make a living before TSHTF.

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

If the world stayed in one piece long enough, a person might be able to build or fix up a decent place that could be sold later on, and the money used to buy a more remote piece of property.

There may be restrictions such as a certain number of years before you can sell it.

Like MMM said, it might be better to be in a remote small town in Kansas or Nebraska than to be in an urban or heavily populated area. It's an option that might work for some people.

I mean, good grief, we're talking about free land! For someone in a city, if you can find a way to make a living there, it might be the break someone needs to get out of the city!