Free cell phones

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bunkerbob, Oct 20, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I just received this email, checked it with Snopes snopes.com: Free Cell Phones for Welfare Recipients and it has some truth to it...

The "ObamaPhone"...You're Paying For It!

What's next?

I hope you are sitting down.

I had a former employee call me earlier today inquiring about a job, and at the end of the conversation he gave me his phone number. I asked the former employee if this was a new cell phone number, and he told me yes, this was his "Obama phone." I asked him what an "Obama phone" was, and he went on to say that welfare recipients are now eligible to receive (1) a FREE new cell phone, and (2) approximately 70 FREE minutes of air time every month. I was a little skeptical, so I Googled it, and lo and behold, he was telling the truth. TAXPAYER MONEY IS BEING REDISTRIBUTED TO WELFARE RECIPIENTS FOR FREE CELL PHONES. Enough is enough, the ship is sinking, and it's sinking fast. The age-old concepts of God, family, and hard work have flown out the window, and are being replaced with "Hope and Change", "Change we can believe in", and "Why should I work for it, when I can get it for free?" You can click on the link below to read more about the "Obama-Phone".just have a barf bag ready.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/Home.aspx

The OBAMA motto: We've got what it takes, to take what you've got!

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

it's actually up to 250 free minutes a month depending on your state

basically this was originally a program from called 'lifeline' which made telecom companies allow emergency use of land lines (later cell phones, ie 911) which was THEN amended regulatorilly by the spendocrats along partisan lines year after year until NOW it IS an Obamanation (sic)

As of October 2009, SafeLink has over 2 million customers and is available in 31 states - Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Today, there are over 1,700 companies in the United States currently providing discounted telephone service. But, thanks to its extensive outreach promoting SafeLink, TracFone Wireless is one of the largest providers of Lifeline services in the United States, second only to AT&T.

Only certain Americans are eligible for SafeLink. Eligibility guidelines vary by state but in general individuals qualify if they participate in a public assistance program such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), National Free School Lunch, Federal Housing/Section 8 Assistance, or if they do not receive any of these public assistance programs, they may also qualify based on total household gross monthly income.

Your exact benefits, including the number of free minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in.

You qualify for Lifeline Service in your area if...

1.You already participate in one of the following assistance programs:

•Section 8/Federal Public Housing Assistance
    •Medicaid
    •Food Stamps
    •Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    •Free National School Lunch Program (NSL)
    •General Assistance/Disability Assistance
    •Home Energy Assistance (HEAP)
    •Supplemental Security Disability Income (SSDI)
    •Ohio Works First or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

OR

2.Your total household income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG). The table below provides the maximum income you can have to be eligible for service.

Number Persons in Household - Annual Income - Monthly Income
    1 - $16,245 - $1,354
    2 - $21,855 - $1,822
    3 - $27,465 - $2,289
    4 - $33,075 - $2,757
    5 - $38,685 - $3,224
    6 - $44,295 - $3,692
    7 - $49,905 - $4,159
    8 - $55,515 - $4,627
    For each additional person, add... $5,610 - $468

AND

3.No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Assistance through another phone carrier. If someone in your household is receiving Lifeline Assistance you must cancel the service before applying for Lifeline Service through SafeLink Wireless.

4.You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your FREE phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.

Please note that if you elect to qualify via income you will need to prove your eligibility by sending us a copy of a document that proves your income level. The following are examples of documents that are accepted:

•3 months of consecutive pay stubs
    •Letter from your employer
    •Last year’s income tax return
    •Employer W-2 form

3. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

I am so pissed I can hardly talk.:mad:

4. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

I dunno. I have a hard time faulting the guvment for giving out free "emergency" tracfones to these folks. Maybe that will keep them from spending their kids' food money buying the latest iphone or running up their minutes/texts/netsurfage (though I doubt it). Besides, these folks are much more likely (than the hard working folks) to need an emergency phone when they get accosted in the projects, forget to evacuate when the hurricanes come, or blow up in their meth labs, dontchathink?

Might as well give 'em free emergency TVs too...

5. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Good points, Thunder. :)

Since we wanna help these folks maybe we should give them vouchers t buy food........uh, we already do that.

Or maybe help out on their mortga.......that's right, we do that too.

How about paying to not work, give'em heating assistance, and medical care, free legal help, tax assistance, clothing, drug and alcohol rehab. Crap. We do all that too, don't we.

Hey folks. We all need to work a little harder to pay for this, don't we?:scratch