free 3 gal - 5 gal food grade buckets

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Concerned_ Citizen, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

Hey guys, wanted to share some info......We have been going to the local publix and getting FREE 3 gal - 5 gal buckets.....all you have to do is go to the bakery and ask....other stores may be like this but im not sure.........

Get yourself some free buckets and go buy some Gamma Lids and you got some really nice long term storage containers....

we have buckets filled with sugar, grains, beans etc.....

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Good idea. We've been doing that awhile now. Just wish we'd started sooner.:D

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

THANX for the heads up! :2thumb: FREE is always the right price

4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Yup, get lots of em from the mega mart fer smokin an such, also, check round with yer local resteraunts, they got some to.

Now, when I need a bunch I'll bribe the manager with some ribs!:D

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Around here they have found that they are valuable and now charge .99¢ each for them but they are clean and they have good lids with a gasket.

6. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Walmart and Sam's Club have given me hundreds free, just for the taking.

Just go back to the bakery and say you'd like to start picking the icing and filling buckets up (with the lids), tell them they don't have to wash them - that saves them time and work, they'll love you for it....

BUT... go there regularly to pick them up so they don't accumulate and the boss get's on them for lack of housekeeping, or you will "kill the goose that lays the golden egg" ;)

That's the way we've done it for years now.

- Basey

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I called the local McDonalds a while ago and it was a no go. They would not give me any. Been a while...can't remember why. I never thought about WalMart. I'll have to try that.

8. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Grocery store bakeries do have them, but some do more baking than others. One store nearby us does all the baking for the other locations in the county and has tons of buckets. The other locations have none.

9. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

We have about 100 buckets and continue to get ours for FREE as well.

Check out a little feature from our blog on other uses for these buckets:

Our Little Farm: The Bucket List

10. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Got a busy pizza joint? I got nearly 1/2 a pickup load from one round here. If there busy, they should be gettin stuff in em to.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Good luck with walmart..I asked twice:rolleyes:..they said they were recycling..and under no circumstances could they sell or give the buckets......

I did read a post that stated the business owner said he didn't/couldn't give or sell because of liability...notice the baby falling in the bucket on the side??

But...I found a little IGA with a deli and I get the 2 and 5 gallon for $1!:congrat:

12. BasecampUSA

Walmart recycling? hmmm... this one in town hasn't stopped giving them away that I know of, but I haven't asked for them in 6 months, we're full-up with buckets right now, 5-600 of them.

Maybe they changed thier policy... oh well, there are more... like they say, ask around! There's a meat wholesaler in the next bigger town to me that sells 5 to 7 gal buckets for 50 cents apiece too...

- Basey

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I found out every walmart but ours gives them away----I don't get it---but I even asked at Bowling Green and they said no too...go figure.
    Is this a Kentucky thing??

But, on this subject, Pizza Hut here said they would give me all the plastic containers that salad dressings come in..I can use those for lots of things...big opening...nice size.
    They even clean them.

14. BasecampUSA

(off topic)

Russelville! Wow... nice part of the country you hail from!

I worked just up the road from you in Drakesboro (TVA - Paradise) for a year as a project engineer, and lived in my Itasca in Beechmont... -and I used to come down to Russelville where you live occasionally to shop.

What I remember most, is that I was there at the TVA power plant on September 11, 2001 when we heard on a radio in the office about a plane that flew into the WTC in New York, City. A few minutes later we heard about a second plane hitting the 2nd tower. Right after that there was an emergency plant meeting.

They locked the plant down and sent all non-essential personnel home at noon. By the time we drove out to the main road, all filling stations had 3 block-long lines waiting in front of them. All ATM's were out of money. All banks had closed early. All grocery stores and markets were very crowded and the shelves were getting bare. Talk about a SHTF scenario!

LESSON: You can't prepare for an emergency when you are in the middle of one!

Yep, that convinced me to stay prepared (I was anyway... - already had 6 weeks grub and fuel on board the motor home). I was driving a VW rabbit diesel -50 mpg- so I could get diesel fuel with no problem, most gasoline pumps were sold out before 3 o'clock. Some gas stations in Central City were jacking the prices up 300%... (some were arrested later).

Remember?

- Basey

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  15. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Small world???WOW...We've been here for 3 years...first 57 were in Springfield, Tn....
    Husband is a log buyer/logger and worked for a couple years for Premium Hardwood in Central City..buying logs in Tn and Ky....and so we moved to Ky.

and then he lost his job!!!!:gaah:

We had a really hard year in 2008 with the new house, and neither of us could BUY a job...so, we've been there and know what it's like.

Prepping?? It started here, in KY., because I read the news, not watch the news.

16. rflood

rflood Well-Known Member

Went to my local BI-LO where someone from my neighborhood lives and they are going to save up the 5 gal buckets from the bakery for me, lids as well. My wife thinks I am nuts, buckets she says for what? But then again I have been known to do the odd thing once in a while so I guess she figures it is some sort of pack rat thing.
    I am going to hit up Wally World this weekend to see about if they have some to give away as well.

17. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

A guy from my church works at Dean foods. He has hooked me up with all of the 5 gallon buckets I want! They are clean....but smell like drink mixes! We have to really soak them to get the fruit punch, orange, or eggnog smell out of them.

18. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

The job I was working at was an asian fast food restaurant. They get the Kikoman buckets that carry soy but the smell and stains are so hard to get out. Free buckets for me but hard to clean.

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We get the same buckets from a Chinese restaurant! We have about 75 with 30-40 filled. I save them till I have 4-5. First I wash them out with Dawn dish soap. Then I take a gallon of apple cider vinegar, pour it in a bucket, put a couple gallons of water in and let it soak for a few days turning it upside down and then back a couple times a day. After those few days I open it and pour the solution into the next bucket. Wash the first one with dish soap again and they're clean.

20. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Thanks Uncle Joe! I'll try that out and see if it'll work. =]