Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Major wildfire has turned on the town, there are not many roads out full evac has been ordered. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...ateway-town-albertas-oilsands-30000-evacuated
excerpt from link.

Residents of neighborhoods in the Canadian boomtown of Fort McMurray - considered the gateway to Alberta's oil sands as the Athabasca oil sands are roughly centered around the town - are under mandatory evacuation as a massive wildfire has jumped across Highway 63 and entered the city limits. Homes have begun to burn in Fort McMurray as residents flee for safety from a blaze that's doubled in size within a day. More than 30,000 people have now been ordered to evacuate Fort McMurray communities.

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
I'm glad you posted this.

The major media outlets have not reported this (that I have seen).

This maybe the biggest news story right now.

Maybe some one can tell me if that area has been in a draught or is this unexpected.

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
...Maybe some one can tell me if that area has been in a draught or is this unexpected.
Cut and paste from the Internet: "The dangerous mix of extreme temperatures and bone-dry conditions means firefighters are battling "explosive" conditions."

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad you posted this.

The major media outlets have not reported this (that I have seen).

This maybe the biggest news story right now.

Maybe some one can tell me if that area has been in a draught or is this unexpected.
the whole province has been dry all spring, but not really an extended drought. Ft Mac is there to service the oilsands, apparently no one thinks about fire breaks in a mostly forested area, and with the left's hand wringing about logging ......

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
NBC news had a 5 min news story and video on it tonight. From what I saw, fire breaks won't stop it. Some of the flames looked to over 100 foot high.

It looks like hell on earth. It also looks like the residence will loose everything, I feel for them because it happened so fast that all they could do is get in their cars and go.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
How far away from the fire are you Tirediron?

We're a good six hours from the coast, but when a big hurricane hits, we get slammed with the people seeking refuge.

This seems like it's going to be one heck of a fire. A lot of folks are going to lose everything and are going to need some prayers.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Watched news report on fire. The lessons to be learned from report. Gas stations running out of fuel -- very long line. Stores running out of food and supplies. Forest very close to homes and city (no clear fire lanes / detention area's) roads packed with late evacuees.

Once again people late to react. Not prepared! Fires can move fast but not as fast a BOV, given advance notice. I do feel for the people who will lose everything and I feel even more sadness for the families of people who will lose family members fighting this event.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both Naekid and I live a long way from the fires, Cowboy hermit is a lot closer, but across a couple of major rivers and in a different type of landscape.

Wildfire in undisturbed northernforests are a nightmare to fight, and as mentioned earlier no one wants to cut and maintain fire breaks etc. that being said this fire has jumped a fairly large river early in the event.
so far only 2 human lives lost in a road accident.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Ya - it would be about a 7hr drive straight north for me to get to the area of the fires.

As of 13 hours ago ...

http://www.newstalk770.com/syn/110/...ss-restoring-utility-service-to-fort-mcmurray

The weather is helping to dampen the wildfire situation, somewhat.

The fire in the Fox Creek area now covers 660 hectares of land, but is being held.

A wildfire about eight km's west of Janvier remains out of control, and is now estimated to be 146 hectares in size.

Meanwhile the Fort McMurray wildfire remains out of control as well, at over half-a-million hectares in size, including 741 hectares in Saskatchewan.

Wildrose Leader Brian Jean, who lost his home to the flames, has been working closely with Premier Rachel Notley during the disaster.

"I think the ultimate issue here is my constituents, and that's what I've focused on," remarked Jean. "If the Premier comes up with good ideas, I'm going to support those good ideas if they help my constituents and it's what they want. If they're bad ideas, then I'm going to make sure she knows they're bad ideas and I'm going to fight against them."

Jean says he thinks the fact that politicians can work together is a good sign for the people, adding if politicians can't work together, they can't provide the things that people need and want.

The province says gas service has now been restored to about 75 percent of undamaged structures in Fort McMurray, adding electricity has been restored to more than 90 percent of undamaged structures in the community.

Jean remains hopeful that residents will be able to begin returning on the 1st of June.

"There's no question that everybody wanted to return the same day the fire devastated our community, but safety is job number one. It's just a relief to know that there's a plan in place to return to Fort McMurray as soon as possible for the residents who want to get back to their homes and want to get back to their lives." (td)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts