For serious preppers, what steps right now?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Dec 27, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

If you're a serious prepper, what are the steps you're taking right now with your view on the current economy and near future events?

This includes what are you purchasing (not specific inventory, but general) and what actual steps and training are you planning, seeking or doing?

For example, I'm doing the usual, paying off somethings but at the same time, I'm picking up some items. In my case it was a whole lot of mostly #10 cans as well as some other food items. I've done some experimenting in cooking to reduce cooking oil, as much for preps as for health and I'm moving stuff around to where it can be either removed quickly or quickly identified for use.

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Getting organized so I better know what I have (and don't).

Topping off on food and meds THIS WEEK.

Getting in as many hours at work as possible as I'm expecting to be laid-off in about 6 weeks.

Pay off mortgage in 2011. That's my last debt (besides taxes, insurance and utilities).

3. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

we are organizing, getting more food, planning a bigger and better garden, starting meat rabbits and honey. Paying of debt and making sure everything is in top running order. We practice with like minded people each month, learning new skills, sharing info and in general encouraging each other to grow.

4. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

2011 will center around "money" for everyone on this earth...

The Dollar and the Euro are on the verge of collapse, along with other currencies, economies and governments.

I just came into a lot of money through an inheritance, and since I never had loans or other credit, I'm putting 75% of it into silver. Money in the bank is wasted! Stocks are too risky-never trusted them. Commodities other than oil are pretty vague unless they are associated with agriculture.

In January 2009, I bought $80K in bullion at $10.75/oz, -today it was up to $29.30/oz... there is no other risk-free investment other than gold to match that. Gold I never trusted. I'll take a chance that silver will top $50/oz before long.

The "root cellar" is packed as full of supplies as it can get, and we have about 3000 gal of diesel and heating oil (all motors on the homestead run on these and "biodiesel", as they will store forever, unlike gasoline).

Literally mountains of compost and manure, seeds have been carefully selected and stored. 2 big greenhouses were picked up for almost scrap price.

Got 2 diesel tractors w/buckets cheap last year at estate auctions with less than 500 hours on them, a New Holland with a 60" rototiller and bush hog to handle the farm, a John Deere with a 72" snowblower for a holy mess like today. Right place, right time, right cash... - that's how to do it!

I just put up a 25 x 44 steel building to replace the old wood tractor shed, and have I another one like it to build a farm store out front by the county road (if the local planning board approves). We'll be selling produce from the farm as well as bulk foods, bulk spices and herbs, feed and seeds. Also some of my Amish friends' beautiful handcrafts and furniture will be offered.

I think a lot of food will be increasingly grown and sold locally as the price of food dependent on long range transportation spirals out of sight. There is a big push all over the country to get back to local agriculture, and it will prevail.

- Basey

5. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

We continue to work on reducing debt, sustainable, self reliant farming and food presevation and laying in those supplies that will be hard to come by in the future.

6. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I am working even harder to get my credit card paid off. My reward for getting it paid off will be a milk cow!
    I am dehydrating all of the food that I can get my hands on for free!
    I was recently given 50 food grade 5 gallon buckets and my goal is to fill 10 of them up with dehydrated food! So far I have got one gallon of dehydrated onions done just this week, from free onions. I plan on using the other 40 buckets for bucket gardening to expand my garden. I also plan on expanding my in the ground garden. I am getting more laying chickens in the spring also.
    I am using the gift cards I got for Christmas for Kohl's and Macy's to get a Foodsaver and an electric meat slicer.
    I am also learning more skills and getting items that make me less dependent on electric.

7. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot like us.

8. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

We're working on paying off our debts. Mortgage won't be paid in full for another 7 years yet.
    We're chosen a site on our land for a root cellar. Hopefully this coming spring we can start the digging.
    I'll be adding more to the garden beds. I'll be drying more foods for storage.
    I've been buying larger sizes of spices and vacuum sealing them for LTS.
    I'll be planting more berry bushes this coming year.
    I know hubby has talked about adding more fencing to the land

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

hey neighbor, unless you're planning on slicing hundreds of pounds of meat at a time IMO a meat slicing knife, the kind with the thickness adjustable guard on it, is more economical and much easier to clean.

AsOn.TV - Buy Direct and Save on Deli Pro Knife - As Seen On TV

[​IMG]

10. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I am looking at a meat slicer more for cutting onions, beets, bread, etc. I do not even actually plan on cutting meat with it! LOL!

11. Lonewufcry

Lonewufcry Lonewufcry

cleaning up our storage, paying down our bills, purchasing more supplies and food and water containers. getting retrained on first aid and CPR.

12. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

Paying Off Debt

Just a reminder to all the readers and postings ....... everything comes before paying off the credit cards .......

Credit card debt is not secured unlike your mortgage and vehicle loans .....

Don't go crazy with the plastic but don't sacrifice your future either .....

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I read about a lady who bought metals, gold, and prepping supplies, foods...all on her Am Ex..!!

14. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Correcto. Credit cards are not secured. HOWEVER, their interest rates are not fixed either, if any of you young'ns remember the Jimmy Carter era, with interest rates in the 20's for cards, you will do well to pay them down.

As IliniWarrior said. Don't go crazy with plastic.
    But maybe use the funds for prepping once debt has been substantially reduced.

15. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Don't know if I can be called a "Serious Prepper" but as for me;

I am trying to get into or find like minded people nearby that can help give support - moral as well as aid.

Organize my preps - been buying and buying and have stuff scattered all about the house, etc.

Just came into some money, and am paying off debt. Excess (yeah like there's a lot :confused: ) funds are beint put into gold and silver, have some, but can always use more.

I see Carter era hyper inflation coming. On a fixed income this can spell disaster for me. So stocking up as I can right now.

Trying to get my children to understand the dire straits the country is in and to plan and prep for themselves i.e. spread the word.

16. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

We may want to split this off into a different thread.

I pay off my CC's every month and haven't paid a dime in CC interest in over 25 years.

I personally don't believe everything comes before CC's. You have to pay for necessities but IMHO "everything else" should come after your CC balance(s) are zero. E.g. Don't buy preps that you're paying CC interest on.

17. 41south

41south Well-Known Member

Traded with a friend for a older 4x4 straight shift, simple to work on truck, I know injection systems are smoother, but I have lots of spares for this rig. Main thing is, I didn't spend any money, don't have it to spend.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

The understanding was the lady knew her job was history, knew her credit was about to be ruined.......soooo she used her CC to acquire lots of preps, supplies, and then I bet she told them she had a hardship(loss of job), they wiped her balance, or she paid 1/3 the balance...not bad as I see it!!

19. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

It's bad as I see it. Who pays for the rest? All of us?:mad:

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Credit card companies and mortgage companies received millions, yes, our tax dollars, AS IS the billions we give to other countries which goes in some azzhole politician's pocket and not feeding the poor...so we can dance around this issue all day and still not resolve anything...

By the way...my husband and I saw what was coming...cut all CC into..if I order online, debit card.