Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a question about food storage buckets. I work at a hospital and the cafeteria will give me all the buckets and lids I want. The problem is that almost all of them are buckets that had pickles in them and the buckets smell horrible. So, does anyone know of a way to some how get that smell out of the buckets? I plan to use mylar bags and O2 absorbers for direct food contact and just storing these mylar pouches in each bucket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Pickles are a bitch to get out. I have barrels that pickles came in. I have not tried hot water as each barrel is 60 gallons and heating that much water would be a pain. I don't know about storing food in mylar in them.
I have tried:
Borax
Bleach
Simple Green
Purple Power
Dawn Dish Soap
Bleach toilet bowl cleaner
Pool chlorine

·
timmie
1,015 Posts
try some baking soda and/or lemon juice. i just take the lids off and clean them ;then sit them out in the sun.

·
Registered
595 Posts
please be aware that mylar bags are permeable and that pickle smell will be absorbed by most stored food ...... you must knock it down to a minimum ...... a maintained warm solution of bleach will pull that leached pickle brine out with time .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.