Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I dont see any way around this, especially given that the gig is already up. If theyre coming around now, well...
A gasification system?
This doesnt even make sense, but a system akin to how they pump CO2 back into the ground?
Burn a tire/garbage outside to mask the smell while you are cooking?
Make friends with these people? Are you sure they dont share the same mindset?

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts

·
785 Posts
This contractor came barging in to the shop and says " Umm, what's that smell ? Are you guys having a BBQ ?"

I asked him to step outside on the dock and told him what he was smelling and he threw up.
Oh...BillM thats so awful it is sort of funny.

As for cooking smells...yeah, when I cook bacon I can smell it for days. Its a giveaway that things are going good for you and yours when SHTF. This is a subject I just had not thought of....after just getting done rotisserie-ing a pork loin this evening (which I thought I should have wrapped in bacon for flavor and moisture...well next time).

·
Registered
350 Posts
During WWII my dutch grandparents told me that they cooked their meals around 2.30 in the morning to stop undesirables smelling cooking smells.

Stands to reason.
Your nose shuts off when you are asleep. It's the reason why smoke detectors have an alarm.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
During WWII my dutch grandparents told me that they cooked their meals around 2.30 in the morning to stop undesirables smelling cooking smells.

Stands to reason.
Your nose shuts off when you are asleep. It's the reason why smoke detectors have an alarm.
I wish mine would shut off when I was sleeping...:( we have a resident skunk that must be the most skittish thing going.. about 3 or 4 in the morning at least once or twice a week something scares it and it let's loose.. wakes me up every time.. :eek:

·
785 Posts
I don't know about the nose completely shutting off at night. We live out of town, and have had some....well odd goings on out here, and one night about 3am (window was open) was woke up by a horrific smell, the smell was what woke me up, so my nose was working even while I was sleeping.

I have also been woke up by the smell of my husband making early morning coffee. Trust me, the smell of bacon will wake people up along with the coffee smell.

Cooking in the wee hours of the night is not a bad idea, it is probably the most likely time to get away with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I agree with the 4-6 months freeze dried foods first. I was also thinking about cooking down wind from the population and cooking in an area other than where your preps are. It would be a minor inconvenience but would probably help. Also maybe cook fish or faster cooking proteins as they wont give off an odor as long. You may have to inconvenience yourself to remain secure in a SHTF situation. I would put safety above food prep, after all we are nolonger in a normal life situation. Sail

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I was watching my favorite type of show and it brought this thread to mind last night. Those cooking traveling shows Andrew Zimmeran was in San Deigo and visited a family that had a huge cooking pit (very nice one too) and they cooked a lamb in it.
Pit cooking.. you know.. dig big hole/line it with stones or brick/ build fire till it burns to just nice hot coals/place cooking pots in, tightly covered/cover with good lid(they had a huge metal lid made for theirs) shovel more coals or build smaller fire back on top and wait for about 6 to 8 (or more) hours then dig up. sure the food smell will be there when open but I've been to a couple pit roasts of pig and only smell the smoke from the fire while they are cooking.
My dutch oven full of beans or stew could easily been buried in a small pit. left to cook while doing other things. My mother's new camper had one in it when she got it(well it was new to us.. she bought used at dirt cheap) a nice one with legs and the coal holder lid. So now I have three.. :D
I've cooked with them outside(with the coals on top and around the bottom) a few times and it turns out well but now I'm going to have to try reading up on pit cooking and see how that works..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with the 4-6 months freeze dried foods first. I was also thinking about cooking down wind from the population and cooking in an area other than where your preps are. It would be a minor inconvenience but would probably help. Also maybe cook fish or faster cooking proteins as they wont give off an odor as long. You may have to inconvenience yourself to remain secure in a SHTF situation. I would put safety above food prep, after all we are nolonger in a normal life situation. Sail
down wind from whom? how do you know there isnt any one up wind?:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am hoping that having neighbors that are close(not physically but friend wise) will make a small community and with the numbers make it safer.... We keep an eye on one another homes while they are gone and we keep peace when needed. most of the time these storms are pretty localized so that we can go and get what is needed and are not pushed to steal from one another. It may be another story post SHTF. I'd like to think that we would pull together and rebuild. it may be a problem but there is a small hydro dam on our river and the people who work it and fix it and run it are all neighbors. it is possible that we would become targets if we could keep our power while others do not. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
While fictional, I would urge you (and they rest of PS) to read The Jakarta Pandemic and perhaps think about what you would do in those same situations. I think that for people in a moderately-sized subdivision that aren't right on top of one another, there's a good chance you're going to have to use physical suggestions to keep your neighbors out of your stash. I know lots of preppers take Rawles' approach to "give till it hurts," but, if you don't know how long some event is going to last, giving away anything could be potentially deadly to your family if too many ants find out about it.

There's nothing new in the story regarding human behavior. Think back to the Twilight Zone where the one family had a bomb shelter and their so-called neighbors were willing to kill to get their family into it.

Kindle link

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
While fictional, I would urge you (and they rest of PS) to read The Jakarta Pandemic and perhaps think about what you would do in those same situations. I think that for people in a moderately-sized subdivision that aren't right on top of one another, there's a good chance you're going to have to use physical suggestions to keep your neighbors out of your stash. I know lots of preppers take Rawles' approach to "give till it hurts," but, if you don't know how long some event is going to last, giving away anything could be potentially deadly to your family if too many ants find out about it.

There's nothing new in the story regarding human behavior. Think back to the Twilight Zone where the one family had a bomb shelter and their so-called neighbors were willing to kill to get their family into it.

Kindle link
Thanks for your concern but that is a link to a fictional book.. now if it had been a book about a similar situation that was real maybe it would be a different story. the twilight zone is also fiction.
Frankly until "it" happens we are all speculating the outcome. ;) if you want to go fictional then The Postman also is a good read about what may happen.. waterworld not so much.. The road even worse. Alas babylon and the list gets longer and longer.
I already have problems with theft here and ya know? it may be one of the neighbors (or someone wandering thru) I don't stand guard now but do lock my stuff up now and not leave anything out in the open. if things get bad then locking the chickens up may take on the task of actually locking them up with padlocks.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
down wind from whom? how do you know there isnt any one up wind?:D
I've been on my boat to long:) I was also thinking indian build small fire sit close, white man build big fire stand far.;)

·
785 Posts
Sailaway, a small fire is always best. You simply have to make your portions small to cook over a small fire. Skewer bits of meat cook on grate. I would think smaller amounts of meat would give off less smell?

·
alpha female
27 Posts
If you have some bush where you are living or bugging out, make a hidden kitchen in as low an area as possible like a ravine or creekbed because the cooking smells will stay low and should stay there unless there's a strong wind to spread them. Also if you have a small fire under a tree then the branches will break up the smoke so none will be seen.
I wonder if cooking on a rocket stove would be the best because you can hide it easily. You would also try not to make a trail to the spot......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
in a post shtf time are we really going to have large meals? or will our meals be of a size to cook just what we need? a small fire should be all most will need. small fire less wood, more for later cooking. for warmth find someone nice to cuddle with ;). more fun too. :2thumb:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts