Food Prices Are Going to Be Unbelievable

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by GailP, Feb 13, 2011.

1. GailP

GailP Member

I've been following articles on food prices and am getting concerned. In the Globe and Mail last week they were predicting that food prices will be going up 5% later this year.

Under "Food Prices Forcast to Jump

Why high food costs may be a bigger threat than oil prices - The Globe and Mail

This article links to what happens when subsidies are removed.

The high cost of goceries in northern communities - The Globe and Mail

These aren't the only concerning articles I've read in National newspapers.

Am I being paranoid thinking that we'd better be starting our gardens this year?

Oh, and I'd eat chocolate while you can...looks like the price of chocolate will be beyond what normal people will be able to afford soon.

Savour that chocolate while you can still afford it - The Globe and Mail

2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Are these reporters so out of touch that they haven't noticed thet produce has gone up more than 5% since new years. And the cost of food in the far north will just get rediculus(er) this year, Brace for fuel shortages this year a lot of piping systems in the production chain are due for replacement/ up grade and a "new" idea has come into the stream (no link private secret source)

3. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

In my area, average yearly food price increase have been in the 14 to 18% range for all basic goods for the last 5 years in a row now. Some basic foods and goods have jumped 40% or more in a year in cost. It's insane. I'm a poor poor man to begin with and was getting by, now I'm glad to have the survival skills that I do because I'm having to rely heavily on it, to put food on the table. Before it put food on the table because it was healthier and a neat experience, now it's vital to life, period. The only meat I eat these days is what I fish, hunt or trap. I cant afford supermarket meat anymore. Its gotten way out of hand which is ridiculous seeing as I am surrounded by beef (cows) statewide.

I buy very few goods any more and have taken to living more like a buckskinner or free trapper every day. I only buy what I can't make and absolutely need and I try to cut down my needs as much as possible continuously. While I have access to technology I dont actually own a computer, or any modern tech. My personal posessions are all basic and the most modern tech I personally own is a modern replica flintlock rifle now.

I think minimizing posessions and needs is going to be important in the coming years as well as survival skills and primitive living skills. Maybe not to the extent I have taken it but the masses are going to have to adjust one way or another.

When I was a kid growing up in the vast wilderness, I pined for the city and it's luxuries. Now that Im grown and Ive had my fill of the suburban and city living throughout the years, I pine for the vast wilderness I once had.

4. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

This is why I've been stocking FD and Dried foods for years now and rotating them often. This is also why I've taken to planting a small orchard and berry patch. I've also spotted and memorized where the nut trees are in my area.
    This is also why I'm learning to dehydrate and can foods when they're in season in my area.
    Citrus is $1 an orange here and thats on sale. Seems that when all the past freezes hurt the crops, the prices never went down, and with each "freeze" the price just kept going up.
    I'm looking into alternative vitamin C foods. I planted one cranberry bush, but the drought may have taken it. I'm planning on planting another or two.
    Citrus may once again be a luxury given as gifts at christmas like in centuries past. lol
    We've collected the supplies to build a chook run and coop.
    We're also working on fencing in more of the acreage in case we decide to get some sort of livestock.
    I plan on doing everything I can to help make the cost of eating cheaper so that we can pay the bills that need paying in the future ( taxes,mortgage,etc)

5. FreeNihilist

Currants and gooseberries are excellent Vitamin C crops and some of the varieties are drought tolerant. The White-flowered currant (Ribes indecorum) is extremely drought tolerant (up to as much as 115 degrees Fahrenheit) and tolerates a variety of conditions. Nurseries often stock this variety of currant especially out west in dry arid regions such as California and Nevada especially. It is able to ordered online at many nurseries.

6. SunflowerGirl

SunflowerGirl Member

I think that the distributors and grocers are just taking advantage of the problems around the world and increasing prices incrementally to gage our tolerance.

Sure, the bad crops in Mexico will directly impact our produce aisle, but most foods have a fairly redundant and diverse set of sources and producers.

I'm still seeing alot of good prices and sales on canned goods, rice, beans, instant cereal and other staples. Although, the package and amounts seem to be getting smaller too.

7. Holly

Holly getting prepared...slowly

Genevieve--
    I have thought of these very same things. Glad I'm not alone in my thinking. Especially with regard to citrus and Christmas time--like in "Little Women". I can't believe that it will be getting to that point sooner than we think. Also, I really want to do everything I can too to cut down on the cost of eating so I can save for the future. One thing that I have found as another option is quick fix meals...eat them now or save for later. What do you think of those? However, I know that this isn't the only thing I can do to prepare so I am working on getting variety too (ie, the basics, water, and FD/dehydrated foods, cans, and emergency supplies). It is so overwhelming at times though. I wish I had a little more land that I could raise animals on. Do you have any more suggestions?

8. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

For alternative Vit C, you can always buy bulk ascorbic acid. They sell it in good-sized quantities because it is a food preservative. If you dry foods, you've probably used it to prevent oxidation. I couldn't guess at a dose based on body size, but I'm sure the info is out there in the Googleverse.

9. FreeNihilist

Short term this is ok, but long term, exposure to oxygen, metals, light, or heat destroys ascorbic acid, so it must be stored in a dark, cold, and non-metallic container. An unopened container has a shelf life of a year usually though it slowly degrades whether opened or not during this time and much less once opened and exposed to the elements such as oxygen, humidity and light.

Another alternative source of Vitamin C is of course rosehips. If you live in an area where wild or cultivated roses are common, its something to keep in mind.

10. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Rosehips do make a good tea and are full of Vit C. When we finish our greenhouse this spring I plan to plant dwarf orange, lemon, lime and banana trees in the greenhouse so we can have fruit year round. We already have in the orchard 4 apple trees, 4 grape vines, 6 blueberries, 4 plum trees, 3 peach trees & 2 pear trees. I also planted a crabapple for making jelly. We have 25 strawberry plants ordered, the raised bed is ready for them. Right now our garden space is 100'x50' but we may have to increase the size. We only have 2 acres so can't go with much more as our chicken yard takes up about 30'x60' and of course the house and shop etc. I made my herb garden in front of the shop like a flower bed, just right out the kitchen door. I turned my front flower bed into my hot pepper bed. Instead of landscaping with flowers (which I love) we are landscaping with editables.

11. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Some of the flowers are edibles too, lol. Or medicinals. Think, echinacea...

12. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Make pine-tree tea - there is 5 times as much vitamin C in pine-needles as what is in oranges or lemons (weight-for-weight). A tea steeped with about 1/4 cup of needles for 15 minutes contains 100% of the days recommended vitamin-C intake.

When I was still a young child, I enjoyed pine-tea, chewing on pine-needles or young pine-branches (think tooth-pick) and even now as an adult, I love the flavour of Buckley's cough-syrup which is also pine-based.

13. BillM

BillM BillM

You ain't seen nuttin yet!

Hyperinflation will be the economic killer that will starve the masses.

In Argentina when they went into hyperinflation, the price of food and fuel doubled every two weeks.

That is an exponential increase, that no printing press can ever hope to keep pace with.

You will see the price of a can of beans currently priced at .75 cents rise in price to $8.00 in eight weeks time.

In sixteen weeks that same can of beans will cost $192.00 .

At this point people will be willing to kill you for a can of beans.

When this starts, you will need to hide your food in catches and hide the fact that you are still eating regular.

The scavengers that are left after six months will become very good at finding and taking from those fortunate enough to still have food.

Being fat will be tantamount to wearing the crown jewels in the hood !

14. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "quick fix meals". You'll have to explain that to me :D
    The majority of the meals I make for us is "quick fix". Thats is to say that they're ready in under 30 minutes. The meals that take longer are made with dried beans ( which have to soak over night and then simmer for at least 2 hours), or roasting in the oven ( birds,roasts,hams,etc). The the majority, like I said, are under 30 minutes.We eat soups and stews alot. With homemade bread or biscuits it's filling and cheap and can be very healthy.

I make the majority of my own dry mixes. You can search the net for making them. And they're way cheaper to make your own. I do have a couple of store bought ready made mixes on hand for when I don't get around to making a batch of my own and I'm in a hurry or too darn tired :p

I buy bulk and then break it down into smaller packages. vacuum seal in bags or jars or freeze.
    I've found a couple of Mennonite food stores that sell dry and bulk foods that I shop at alot. I just found one that sells wheat for half the price I was paying online. I was a happy fat girl that day!:D

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Cool ... Thanks for sharing.

16. FreeNihilist

The young tips are the key, too old and they taste turpentine like. Pine Needle tea can save you if you're quite far north. Thank you for mentioning this as it had slipped my mind momentarily.

17. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

NBC News just told Americans to 'expect the worst' in food and clothing prices and that it will probably be hard for 'every American family' and to 'stock up and plant a garden'.
    I've never heard a reporter go as far as to say 'stock up and plant a garden'.

Those are some scary words coming from the mouth of the reporter.

18. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

ABC had the same type of piece. That is extreeeeemely unusual for the MSM. So why all of the sudden do they have the desire to inform the masses of something that we've seen coming since last fall. :dunno:

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

~~~~and to 'stock up and plant a garden'.~~~~
    WHOA....three months ago there was talk of a bill to fine or jail us for that violation!!!:eek:

20. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I know, right? ;)