Food prep

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Asatrur, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

I did a quick search and found a few things, but not a ton. We are more prepped for in place prepping with our garden, chickens, food preservation and now we are starting to prep for the bug out. Is there a thread on where to start designing bug out plans, food storage for traveling, etc that someone can point me to? I would like to get a years worth of LT food storage, but money is an object and I am looking for ideas. We typically store enough preserved food for 6-9 months in order to get us from growing season to the next.
    TIA,
    Devin

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I don't really have any real answer for transporting food from the home to BOL beyond making sure that the BOL is pre-set with a whack-load of food and other supplies. Most vehicles (unless you own / operate an 18-wheeler or similar sized vehicle) just do not have the space to carry massive amounts of food. It is even worse if your BOV is a motorbike.

Just bringing this thread back to the top after doing a "Unanswered Threads" click and finding this one that needs some kind of answer.

3. WhipNasty

WhipNasty Member

How do I post a new discussion?

I am new also.

I am trying to stockpile and vacuum seal and bury on my family property soem survival. And am wondering where the best place to buy it is.

I am thinking spools of wire for snares, trot lines. Flint, Knifes, 22 guns and bullets, and seeds that will stay good.

Any help on where to buy good and inexpensive survival needs would be greatly appreciated.

Also as a reminder to everyone either trust family members or put it in your will so these goods can help others if not you!

4. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

How are you preserving your foods? Canned foods weigh more, take up a lot of space and they are fragile in glass jars. If you dehydrate your food, they will weigh less, take up less space and (depending on the food) can take the jostling of a move in good condition.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You might want to start with a two-page .pdf that I created recently about getting ready: http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f39/document-check-list-supplies-3111/

From that .pdf you will see a section called Practice. You can purchase all the stuff in the world and bury it all, but, if you don't know how to use it, it is useless.

ie: You could purchase 100lbs of cast-iron cookware, bury it and in 10 years time dig it up and find that it didn't survive the burial process very well. Now, you will need to figure out how to make that supply of cookware usable and then try to figure out how to cook on it - that is - if you even know how to cook something more than a toasted PB-n-J

Having snare wire and having never snared your meal previously and having no one to teach you after SHTF - how long do you think you will last doing the trial-n-error approach to getting your next meal.

I recently picked up a vacuum sealer (FoodSaver Vac1050) that seems to do very well for the foods that I have tested so far (and vac-packed some clothing in my BOB). I am still learning little tricks with the unit, but, getting better at packing the vac-baggies. My first attempt at using it was a learning experience (to say the least). I plan on getting a smoker and dehydrator here shortly - again - I will not bury them, I will use and abuse them so that if something was to happen, I already have the skills.

Do you shoot now? If so - go ahead and bury a .22 with ammo. If you don't regularly shoot (or hunt) regularly, don't bother putting the tools underground - put them where you can use them till you are proficient at them, but, stash them in such a way that you can access them easily enough to practice with. Finding out in 5 years time that the seal that you trusted to keep everything dry-n-fresh failed, would find a wasted .22 gun and ammo.

If I was to "bury" something, it would be an Intermodal SeaCan that I would be able to access anytime that I wished - to check on the supplies, rotate the stock, update the supplies, etc.

6. marlas1too

marlas1too Well-Known Member

wire and fishing line for trout lines good thinking also add lots of different size hooks-22,s are good and you can store lots in a little space -rice and pasta keep for long time too -spices and salt for sure-if you have a vacum sealer seal some cloths too as after you vacum them they are in a little pack then you can store more the list is long what to prepare for you have to decide what you want to prepare is all and a will would be good IF your family is not as prepared as you are and will not finht over what each person wants when you are gone--good luck on you preparing and keep asking questions thats the way to learn--rember its better to have and not need than need and not have

7. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Yes, mainly can right now, but picked up an old dehydrator we are working on fixing along with building a solar dehydrator and I hope this helps our weight issue, but there is nothing like fresh tomatoes in January that came from your garden and only canning can do that