Food or thought--HB87 Georgia

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Frugal_Farmers, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

HB87, Illegal Immigration Reform and Enforcement Act of 2011, went into effect in Georgia.

I am not going to post links to news articles on this subject because all I have found so far are very slanted to one side or the other. You can do a search and read these articles yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Here is my take on this bill.

YES--we need some serious reform on ILLEGAL aliens in this country. No one will agrue that point.

FACT--Millions of ILLEGALS are in this country doing labor intensive jobs that most unemployed Americans will never do.

The enactment of this law has scared the daylights out of lots of Illegal in Georgia. Many of them are affaid of working the fields and crops.

Farmers estimated it will take nearly 11,000 field laborer to harvest crops in the fields.

Millions of dollars of crops will rot in the fields because these illegals are now afraid of going to jail.

There are over 460,000 unemployed legal citizens in the State of Georgia

Average pay for field workers is $8.00 per hour with no benefits.

My question is if there are 460,000 unemployed in the State of Georgia and 11,000 field workers needed, why will able bodied Americans not take this work? Would they rather contribute to the welfare state and continue to take a handout?

Now, before anyone goes questioning how many illegals I employ, let me clarify the only the wife and I work our property. We have no outside help what so ever.

Now let the healthy discussion/debate begin. Let's see if we can keep the discussion on track with good factual information and no personal attacks.

2. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

The enactment of this law has scared the daylights out of lots of Illegal in Georgia. Many of them are affaid of working the fields and crops.

Farmers estimated it will take nearly 11,000 field laborer to harvest crops in the fields.

Millions of dollars of crops will rot in the fields because these illegals are now afraid of going to jail.

And they ARE rotting, but what ever happened to work visa's?

My question is if there are 460,000 unemployed in the State of Georgia and 11,000 field workers needed, why will able bodied Americans not take this work? Would they rather contribute to the welfare state and continue to take a handout?
    And there you go! Unemployed and welfare with prisoners in the rest of the fields!

3. Frugal_Farmers

The broken work visa program seems to be controlled by big business and corporate power. The typical small business and farmer has a difficult time cracking this tough nut. Take Disney for example. They employ thousands of forieng students each summer as part of a work exchange program. They have no problems filling positions with "legal" workers through the work visa program.

4. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

What caused it was not just the corps,but the greedy americans hiring them for maids,lawn care and other under the table jobs.

But the one thing that caused the most problems was Ted kennedy and Ron Reagan.Giving their amnesty and allowing them to bring in their families.

Soon we will all be ruled by dictators kept up by the third worlders they bring in.

5. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

Where I live is orchard and beef country..........many many mexicans live in the towns around us...not as many here, maybe cuz this is an indian reservation on one side of the river. Anyway, I saw the buses come into town a couple of days ago, they are the Jamacians.........one of the big orchards brings them in now to do the work and then they are sent back. No kidding........my sister and bro. in law own couple orchards and have illegals doing the work, they have "papers" and ss #s, but they are false. I use to work the apples and cherries for part time money, don't hardly ever see a white in the orchards now days. Also, when I said beef country, maybe not so much anymore, even the cattle are getting scarce........:(

6. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Those standing in the food stamp lines should be doing that work. If they refuse, that's ok. God put in a mechanism for that. When their bellybutton gets close enough to their spine, they'll be glad to work in the fields.

I don't blame the illegals or the farmers or even the welfare recipients. We, as a country, have allowed this situation. We have taken from those that work to give free housing, food, helathcare, education, etc. to those that don't.

The illegals come here to work to better themselves & their family. What part of our border security or immigration policy would lead any thinking person to believe we are serious about coming here legally?

The farmers just want someone to help with the harvesting, they don't care what color their skin is. I doubt there are lines of Americans begging for those $8 an hour jobs. Quiete the contrary. Congress has given folks the choice of either living for free off the work of others in order to have housing, food, clothing, medical care, etc. or work for $8 an hour for it. We the people have allowed this situation & until we get sick & tired of it we will continue to have it.

7. Frugal_Farmers

Well said...

8. Meerkat

It use to be a good thing for seasonal worker and for the farmers.Both benefitted.

They came and worked went back home .

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Yes, well said...

10. Frugal_Farmers

Sounds to me like there is plenty of seasonal work available in Georgia right now, but the lcoals won't to it.

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

This will sound simplistic, but the farmer needs to raise the wages. If noone will work for $8/hr, then he needs to pay more. Better for him to lose money or break even than letting his entire crop go to waste, and lose everything.
    If the average person is better off not working at all and collecting welfare/unemployment then working for 8 bucks, then its a very simple equation. They wont do it.
    I assume there is some kind of tax benefit to him hiring people on welfare or unemployment, so it behooves him to do so.
    If I am a business owner, and noone will work for what I am willing to pay, then I either go out of business, or raise my wages.
    Ultimately he has the most to lose. The state, with their somewhat well intentioned law, will lose out on a ton of tax revenue, and assumedly some of those citizens who supported the law will also.

This really gets to the heart of an issue that has a lot of people up in arms about illegals. You know darned well that there are some residents who would whine and complain that "They took our jobs" and then refuse to do the work themselves.

12. Meerkat

The worse tax is the inflation tax.It drains the economy and produces poverty.

People don't have to work,they are easily controlled on welfare and will vote to keep it.All have several kids and most are pregnant.I don't think I've seen one in 100 whos not overweight so they are costing more to care for medically with unhealthy lifestyles and in food.They also start producing earlier than we do,some 12 and pregnant.Many have several wives having kids at the same time'muslims'OTM's aka, other than mexicans.
    The majority of illegals I see are not on the farm or meat packing,they are out spending their welfare checks,food stamps,living in Section 8 free housing,free medical closing down hospitals and driving new autos paid for by us.One illegal may work but their large families take more tax in welfare than they pay in.
    This is not even counting all those who come for vacation,education,work and never leave or those asylum seekers or immigrate here legally.

13. Meerkat

All those fat white kids with their ears and fingers glued to ipods and tv's will only work when they ae forced to do their part in society.Long as the parents give them money for doing nothing they will continue to do nothing.

But the fact is illegal is still illegal and 85% are on some form of welfare.
    Unless you think that a pea picker on $8 hr is feeding ,suppling medical care and rent for a family of 10 to 30 [ kids,pregnat mate,parents ,sisters and others family I see in dr.s office,grocery stores and holday events ] is supporting them?

Many muslims have several wives we support.And some have as many as 30 or 40 kids!Google it

14. power

power ExCommunicated

You touched on very good reasons the farmers hire illegals. They have to hire people to get their crops in. If citizens of the U.S. will not do the work we still have to eat and the farmer still has to stay in business.

I laugh everytime I see someone post "They took our jobs". No one took anybodys job. If there is a job opening anyone willing to do the work for the pay should have the job.

I would be ashamed to post on an open forum that an illegal "took my job".
    If I had a job and allowed an illegal to replace me there had to be a reason. How would it be possible for a person from another country, most times unable to speak the language, no home address, no home phone, many times no home, no SS number, no verifiable work history, no references, be able to replace me? If a person lost their job to an illegal they should place the blame where it truly is, on themselves. But then it is much easier to blame another for their own faults.

15. power

power ExCommunicated

Where did you come up with 85%? Lets see some facts.
    Just because you cannot balance your budget on $8 an hour does not mean no one else can.

16. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

FACT: The law in GA, which is in support of enfocing existing immigration law (if I understand correctly just like AZ SB1070 was) is a good law.

FACT: Welfare of any kind gives incentives for folks to NOT work. My FIL was out of work for a long time. He could not find work in his former line of business. He could have taken a job at McDonalds for minimum wage but why do that when unemployment gives him 11 (or was it more) per hour equivalent? He has decided to move to a larger city where his skills should be in higher demand. Welfare in any form is a mistake because it will be abused -- it just will.

The answer is NOT to close our eyes and pretend there is no illegal immigration. This is what has been going on far too long.

The answer is NOT to just let anybody who wants to just walk right over our borders because they want to work while giving more and more handouts to our own lazy citizens. This also has been going on far too long and we cant afford it.

ANSWER: Get rid of welfare. In the very least drastically cut programs that give folks incentive not to work. This will get folks off the gov't tit and back in the fields or wherever they are needed. As somone already stated... when their bellybutton gets too close to their spine they will work in the fields or die. This will also help us cut spending which fixes another major problem here. (2 birds with one stone?)

Two wrongs dont make a right. Instead of fighting to let more folks into our country lets fight to make sure the bums already here have to work to eat? What a novel idea?!?!

Does anything Im saying not make sense? :dunno:

17. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

My father has worked (and employed others who were legal citizens) in construction and has lost bids simply because the competition is paying illegals wages which are below the wages of most employees. The employer that employs these illegals does not pay workers comp or unemployment on those illegals. In many cases he does not pay taxes (at all) on those illegals. This means that his employees dont have a job... they have in effect lost their jobs because of illegals.

What planet do you live on?

18. Frugal_Farmers

Meerkat--I see you are still riding your one trick pony and quiet frankly, your babbling BS is getting really old.

You spout off with BS that you CAN NOT back up with any FACTS. I see that all of those radical talk radio shows have you brainwashed and carrying their flag.

Give some good credible evidence and facts about all of this nonesense you spew forward You say "google it" but never back any of your rhetoric up with any facts.

Where in the he!! are you getting this false information about Muslims in America?

Please back up your claim that 85% of illegals are on Welfare.

Time to pay the piper and start basing you posts on facts in lieu of just passing on the garbage you hear on you talk radio shows. I see the puppet masters of the talks shows are danging your strings pretty good.

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

In Ky, you must verify US citizenship to collect welfare, food stamps, assistance, vote, or get a Ky license to drive/ auto insurance---now, if you have children under 18, that's a different story---how the amt. is allotted, I don't know.
    Like how much per child??
    I just know what the county court clerk told me above when I moved here.
    And, yes they do cut tobacco in the late summers.:scratch
    But I can count the hispanics I've seen in this county in 4 years on both hands.:ignore:

20. power

power ExCommunicated

One thing I would like to see added is a clean drug and alcohol screening monthly for anyone recieving any govt. benefits.