Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two hundred yards of 10# test monofiliment and decided to teach my son the art of making a fishing net. We dug out the knot book and went to town tying up this length of gill netting. 10# test is too light for this application but it was more of a learning experience than anything else.

We tried out our net in a buddies pond without catching any fish (my story, and I'm sticking to it, is that there were no fish to catch). We brought the net back home and set it out to dry. We streched it between two trees to dry.

We had to take it down immediately. We trapped 4 birds in less than two minutes. We were able to release the birds without having harmed them. This is our kind of luck.....Try for fish and catch birds.

I told my son that "anyone" can catch the target species but it takes an "expert" to catch a non-target species. If BS was money I would be the richest guy on earth.

We will save our net and keep it in our preps. This may have some use in the future.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I just saw on TV today that people used to eat pigeons all the time. Just a thought if times get tough...

·
Registered
238 Posts
The preferred pigeon for food are squab, young pigeons just before they are ready to leave the nest and start flying.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been trying to find an alternate source of protien available to us if an event were to occur. Birds are small but they will do. Our fishing net experiment failed but we found a viable use for the net. We were astonished to see how well the net worked to capture birds. This could be of value to others. We had captured several birds and never fired a shot.

I am sure there will be shots fired. The girls are not happy that we caught thier pretty birds ( I should never have trained them to be great shots). I just needed to share a failed experiment with a unique outcome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Guess what...

I just saw on TV today that people used to eat pigeons all the time. Just a thought if times get tough...
Ever eat a Rock Cornish Game Hen? Taste pretty good! :p I looked up the proper name of the common pigeon in a bird book, they are called Rock Hens! :eek:

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Thanks for the info! Great idea. I wont have to worry about storing cat food!

I have eaten (sorry to offend anyone) baby swallows, theyre a 'delicacy' in Spain.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I have been trying to find an alternate source of protien available to us if an event were to occur. Birds are small but they will do.
probably worked better than most fowler's snares :2thumb: :sssh:

you might be surprised at how many MICE there are in fields, light woods, etc; after watching an old Disney movie: Never Cry Wolf, I went out and tried it for a weekend in the winter, I kicked apart a log and caught 14 of the things that were all fattened up

not to mention, squirrels, chipmunks, morning doves, groundhogs...

IMO people that don't turn their noses up now will definitely have a leg up when (if?) the time comes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts