Flu shots

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by bahaboyga, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bahaboyga

bahaboyga Member

I went to the doc to get my annual physical yesterday. He suggested I get a flu and pneumonia vaccination. The nurse gave me the shots and I went home feeling pretty good. Today I feel sick with flu like symtoms and my arm feels like my wife was punching on it with a sledge hammer. The last flue shot I got was 5 years ago, I dont remember any adverse reactions.

.Anyone else have the same reaction?

2. Nomad

Nomad Member

Flu Shot

I got both shots recently. No problems. Each person reacts differently. It will all go away eventually...........:)

3. bahaboyga

bahaboyga Member

Flu shot

Thanks Nomad,

I amost feel human this morning. I not sure the pain was worth the gain!

4. wetbandit

wetbandit Guest

Probably being that it has been so long since your last flu shot, you felt the symptoms quite hard. A bit of the flu virus is injected into with the vaccine so your body can become immune to the flu. So it is very normal to feel fluish the next day. It is also normal for the injected area to sore for a day or 2. I get a flu shot every year and I hardly feel the symptoms of it when I get it now.

5. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Well-Known Member

I just read an interesting report on Dr. Mercola's website. Studies are now showing that influenza epidemics, (flu) is caused by a Vitamin D deficiency. The report also said that you can lesson the severity and speed up your recovery of the flu if you take appropriate doses of vitamin D.
    Just another glowing report on the benifits of vitamin D . Most people are deficient.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

What's really rich in Vitamin D?

7. Washkeeton

Washkeeton Well-Known Member

Ya that is a major problem up here for us dark dwellers... interesting thought.. cant hurt to increase it some... what harm can happen to those of us who are severly deficient anyway :D They say most alaskans are very deficient in Vit d because of the lack of sunshine in this state.. even when there is sunshine we dont get enough for our bodies to manufacure sufficient quantities of vit d up here.

Dean---Sunshine, milk, cod liver oil... but you have to be careful it is one of the fat soluable vitamins.. it is one that your body will keep on board and you can become toxic with...ADEK are the 4 you have to be careful with. It isn like vit c that you get too much and pee out the rest.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  8. rainbowgardens

If you use artificial supplimentation, get vitamin D3. It is used by the body better and has a longer shelf life.
    An interesting side note that you can research... Vitamin D helps prevent skin cancer, but people avoid the sun and slather on sunscreen that prevents the body from making vitamin d from the sun.
    About vitamin D toxicity, you can ask your doctor to test you if you are concerned about too much D. Usually, unless you suppliment faithfully with a quality D that your body can absorb, you won't have a problem with it.
    Check out Dr. Mercola's website for lots of info.
    Also, be aware that lots of cod liver oils sold today are rancid and have had the Vitamin D removed in order to make it taste better. You lose the D but you'll still get the omega 3s. Also, the better brands have been tested to assure that there isn't mercury contamination.

9. Washkeeton

I get the Cod Liver Oil from the naturalpath... they are very careful to make sure their products pure and top quality. I just dont like the taste....ickkkkk.

10. ZeeDeveel

ZeeDeveel Guest

30 minutes a day out in the sunlight is supposed to be a good source of Vitamin D.

11. rainbowgardens

Right ZeeDeveel, and without sunscreen, as much of your skin uncovered as possible. Also, those with darker skin will need more time because the darker skin pigments block out the sun. Ever thought about the fact that those cultures that adapted to living nearer to the equator have darker skin and those further away have lighter? Pale skin lets in more of the suns rays, causing problems, (cancer,) in higher sunlight areas. In fact, dark skinned people moving to regions further from the equator have more problems with vitamin D deficiency than those near the equator. People living further north needed lighter skin to absorb enough rays for health.

12. 3libras

3libras Guest

Great stuff, thanks rainbowgardens. Nobody thinks much about sunlight being something you need to survive.

13. Washkeeton

That is unless you live in Alaska where there hardly is no sunlight...;) :D

14. Ebin

Ebin Guest

That is true, Washkeeton. Bummer. I don't know what I would do with out my sunlight!
    My neighbor has a skin condition that gets red and bumpy but clears up alot when she's had a good amount of Vitamin D. I cannot remember what her skin condition was called though. Does anybody think they know what I'm describing sounds like?

15. rainbowgardens

Ebin, could her problem be rosacea? I get it in the winter. I think it's also linked to Seasonal Affective Disorder, (winter blues.) I only have the problem when I don't get sun exposure that day.

16. Avarice

Avarice Guest

Rainbowgardens, have you found any lotions to help heal your Rosacea? I have heard that Eucerin Calming Creme and Lupriderm really help calm irritation. Also, does a hot bath irritate your skin further? Especially if you did not get any sunlight that day?

17. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Immunizations for Pneumonia

On the subject of Pneumonia. I highly recommend these for everyone. I was always very prone to upper respiratory infections, and had 2-3 cases of walking Pneumonia and 2 cases of full blown Pneumonia. Walking thru Costco one day, they were giving the shots over the counter (I was 43 then). For $10 I got the shot, that was 7 years ago. Last year I took it again. Have been frree of infection for 7 years, I swear by them. (different Drs/Ins companies have different protocols for the re-immunization date, I read up on it and pushed the issue with my provider)

18. JennieV.

JennieV. Guest

Really? I have never heard of any over the counter shots. Do they sell them to just anybody? I find that so crazy seeing as a few years ago they were so low that doctors were only vaccinating infants and the elderly.

19. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

What he means is they were having a flu shot/ pneumonia shot clinic that day. He just happened to be there, and anyone that shows up can get a shot. Lots of the pharmacies around here, and even the grocery stores, banks, etc will do this for the benefit of their customers. My hospital had a flu shot clinic geared towards family of employees today, but I guarantee they shot <g> anyone that walked in and wanted one.

20. Samoan

Samoan Guest

I don't think shots will ever be available over the counter! That would be a bad idea for sure.

My mother-in-law works in a doctor's office and they offer flu shot drives about once a year. Mostly family members of employees and the elderly come in. It's a nice thing.