Flood water planning and preparations

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by NaeKid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If you have the ability to protect your property from flood waters, would you be able to do what the guy in the following video did to protect his home and yard?

[ame]http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81505369/?lt=ep[/ame]

I think it is a great way to create a wall of protection, but, maybe something a little more permanent could also be in order. Thoughts, comments, etc?

2. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

LOL Looks like something my hubby would do! He would go insane just sitting & waiting for the flood waters to come. I could see him out there on his tractor digging & the guys bagging sand. He'd work night & day.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

With the flooding that has been happening around the US and Canada this year has anyone else built their own moat or wall around their yard as protection?

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

The closest stream is 117m above sea level. We are 181m. That puts us 210' above the nearest possible flood area. If we get flooded out, that would certainly be TEOTWAWKI. At least for the eastern U.S.

So to answer the ? No we aren't doing any flood protection.

5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Got to website but couldn;t get video to download. I've never wanted to spend so much money on a house that you had to worry about it flooding. It's interesting to note that as cities have become larger people have built on less choice land and flooding is a problem. Around here there are alot of mcmansions sitting in farm fields that flooded when I was a kid.:nuts: