Flax to linen

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Jan 6, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not a fruit or vegetable ... but something to grow ... :sssh:

So I did it ... I ordered some flax seed ( hope it goes better than the cotton ;))

I want to try my hands at flax linen ... (I must put the books down :D) lol

Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum. Linen is labor-intensive to manufacture... I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm going try it ... why not now ...

So this what I'm doing "new" this year ... wish me luck.:flower:

2. SurvivalBill

SurvivalBill Member

I experimented with it last year flax is very easy to grow it did not grow as tall as I expected it to but I am pretty far north anyways I wanted to test it out for making cordage I have to say its some real strong stuff just a few fibers is all you need for thread I just left some in seed were it was just want to see if it will come back again this year...
    I think it is well worth growing for thread and then into linen but you sure have to plant lots to make anything with it though if you are doing this from scratch I am just guessing but an acre may just be enough to make a shirt I think....
    Good Luck With the Project let us know how it turns out...

Bill

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks for posting ... It is great hearing how you flax project is going. :D

I only ordered 4 grams of seeds ... so I will start out small and go from there. Kind of get my feet wet. :D

Thanks again, I will let you know how it works out.

4. SurvivalBill

SurvivalBill Member

I just went to the bulk bin and got a few handfulls...

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not the sea of blue they talk about in the book but my small row of flax is starting to bloom. :woohoo:

Attached Files:

• 097.jpg
      097.jpg
      File size:
      130.4 KB
      Views:
  6. shellyann36

shellyann36 Member

Very pretty flower! I read and responded to your cotton growing thread and this seems just as interesting! In the past, when I think of fiber for spinning/producing clothing I always think of animal fibers or pelts. This sort of puts it into a different perspective about what you can do outside of using animal materials. Thanks!

7. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

spinning

I met a lady around my parts that spins dog hair into hats and scarves. Seems to have a lot of orders. She will take your dog's fur spin and crochet or knit it. Strange.:scratch

8. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

your soil

Your soil seems to be fairly red. Do you have a lot of clay?

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Virginia and red clay go hand in hand. ;) You should have seen it before we started composting and cover crops. lol

stayingthegame, that does sound strange ... but I know a few people that do it ... :dunno:

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Pulled the flax today ... the bottom was turning and the seed heads was more brown than gold ... (per the book... lol)

It is now in the green house to dry ... so I can save the seeds. :2thumb:

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      151.3 KB
      Views:
  11. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

are you my long lost sister i never knew about??? :eek: you post stuff that I think about all the time! lol lol I need to put the books down too...i want to try everything!!! lol :rolleyes:
    so glad you posted this about flax to linen cuz i been hankering to try this one too. :p

12. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

The same seed that I grind-up to put into foods from Safeway will grow the plants?!?! I had thought that the seeds are radiated (microwaved) to kill off any bugs that might be in them - also killing the germation ability of the plants ...

I think that I have a project for next summer!

13. SurvivalBill

SurvivalBill Member

ya it grew no problem I usually have no problems with seed I get from the bulk bins....

14. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Really good to know - thanks!

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Rippling the flax

Rippling removes the seeds from the stems. The dry plants are pulled through a rippling comb that is a wooden or iron device that has several rows of nails sticking up. Well, I was short some ol time tools and had to come up with something new... A horse mane and tail comb worked "alright".

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      136.9 KB
      Views:
  16. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

A nice bucket of seeds to be cleaned and stored for next year.

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      108.3 KB
      Views:
  17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Ready for Retting

I'm going with water retting, in a kiddie pool. I'm ready to fill with water.

Attached Files:

• 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
  18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

lhalfcent - I always wanted a sister ... :D

Flax Retting will check every 24 hours ... and should be retted in 3 - 5 days.

Attached Files:

• 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      85.6 KB
      Views:
  19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The retting is done ... When I checked it today the fiber separated freely from the core.

And they should call it rotting the flax ... can you say gross, nasty and yucky smell. :eek: I put it there with priming green tobacco ... yuck!

But it is done, back to the green house for a week to dry ...

20. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see how it ends up! The soaking you're doing reminds me of how my boss used to "rot" the luffa gourds to make the luffa sponges.