Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago, ( like 25 maybe) my nephew , age of about 15 had done some odd teenage work an had a few dollars in his pocket. Well his grandma told him that " he better get him a five gallon bucket of panut butter "

Today we all make a joke out of this saying. ( she was a prepper in her day for she had 3 deep freeze full of food an tons of garden cans put up , course most of it went to the trash when she got to old to care for her self an the family come in an cleaned house )

I was retelling this story to one of my grandson who of course had heard the story many times, an I told him I pray that come 25 years from now he will be setting around telling his friends how his grandma had a whole shit load of food, how she was staching it behind the corner dressers, an in the closets,even had some hid in the bathroom etc. For then I went on to to tell my grand son that if he wasn't laughting at me come 25 years from now Im scared he may be crying ,wishing he has just a a jar of peanut butter to eat. So I hope an pray he an many others are laughting there butt's off at us come 25 years fom now..

·
Registered
252 Posts
sad, but true. Most kids in this day have never had to go without a cell phone, let alone food. We were poor when my kids were younger, so they know how hard we had to work to gather enough food to get through the year, beating bushes for wild berries and apples and a big garden. Today, even though some of them are poor due to life choices and wonder where their food will come from near the end of the month (eyes rolling), they all still have cell phones. Makes me sick and worried for how folks think. Keep telling the stories, it will sink in at some level.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Beanpicker, I like the story! I am sure that if you bring your son up to be a repsonsible adult he wont make fun of your preps even if they are not needed. He will realize that they were/are necessary to ensure that you are prepared for what might never happen and he will appreciate it. Sometimes I hope nothing happens (even if my gut tells me something will)... sometimes I hope it happens soon so the madness in this nation will die off -- though hard times they would be!

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Do they still sell peanut butter in 5 gallon buckets?? I could so use that! My kiddos LOVE peanut butter and we go through a LOT of it!

I to am hoping that my children all have the prepping bug when they are older. They have never made fun of me for the food I have set aside but they do tell me that we are running out of places to keep it stored. Come on! What is wrong with putting it under THEIR bed??? LOL!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANT... all four of my sons are "raised " on there own , two are prepping . not so much as I but then again I don' t have kids at home to feed, lol ,,, the other son know whats coming but being he owns his own machine shop etc, he just doesn't have time to see in to getting preps ,an it just hasn't hit his wife in the face yet to do so,, even thoght she knows what Im doing. I keep pluging away at her ) The other son well , he spend his money as fast as he make it an he makes good money.. but to hear him tell it he's flat broke all the time..

As I said 25 years from now they will have two choises, to laught at there grandma for having all that food or be crying for they are hungry , iI just pray there laughting there rumps off.

But back to peanut butter , does any one know if it stores well, I would think the oil would get ransid, or maybe that is because I know it does if it has been open.. we don't used much peanut butter , but would like to get some for the grand kids for storage .. or as we call it " hard times"

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
We had a case of peanut butter in our root cellar since 2005, in the dark and cool steady temperature, the jars closed in a cardboard box (case it came in), and yet when we opened the first jar last fall, it had a rancid taste and smell. Fortunately we could use it mixed with feed for the chickens.

Those were plastic jars. I've heard it keeps longer in glass jars. :dunno:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Peanut Butter Powder

Regular Skippy type peanut butter doesn't store well, as discussed it goes rancid from the oil content ...... it needs to be rotated out every couple of years ......

For long term storage you need to go powered peanut butter ..... sold by most of the food supply outfits under their "grains" and/or "legumes" section of the catalog ....

Emergency Essentials (Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage) sells a 44 oz can (3F1-FS-D140) for $12.95 (29 cents per oz) ......

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Regular Skippy type peanut butter doesn't store well, as discussed it goes rancid from the oil content ...... it needs to be rotated out every couple of years ......

For long term storage you need to go powdered peanut butter .....QUOTE]

People in zone 4 or warmer can grow peanuts and make their own peanut butter. Buy some raw (preferably organic) peanuts or order peanut seed (which looks just like shelled peanuts!) and plant them in well-drained soil. We used to order it from Johnny's seed company until we figured out we could grow them just as well from raw peanuts. We lived in The Salt Lake Valley when we grew them. They grow in clusters under the ground like potatoes, but the plants/leaves look sort of like peas. They're easy to grow. They like sandy, well-drained soil.

I've never tried powdered peanut butter but there are threads on here somewhere discussing it, and most people didn't like the way it reconstituted. Some added oil to it when they added water.

We bought peanut butter in glass jars both of the last two years and we're waiting out the time to see how long they keep. We open a jar as we need it, and so far the 2-year old stuff, stored in our root cellar, has kept, but there hasn't been enough time to pass for us to say that they did keep longer than the plastic jars.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I to have heard that the stuff in Plastic jars don't keep... Life without Peanut butter? :eek: why bother !

We could grow peanuts here so easy... but have no idea of the process of turning them into PB.. but I'm sure the Net knows lol...

I'd like to try that powdered stuff...and after reading the post on coconut oil I think that would be good to add to it

·
Registered
70 Posts
My grandmother was a prepper in her day also. She grew a huge garden and canned anything she could get her hands on. She made the best vegtable beef soup from everything that she canned, and as we were kids she would throw some alphebet noodles in it for us. Out of my 4 children only one of my kids has the inclination to prep, but she lives in the city in a small apartment, so I am trying to help her with ideas. My other kids figure that mom and dad will always be there to take care of them I guess. But they have been taught since they were small the importance of a good garden and being able to hunt and fish and gather for their food also.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
There's a small dry goods store in NW Pennsylvania, in a town called Linesville. The owner, Ginny, is a real sweetheart and she has all kinds of neat stuff in her small shop. In the corner is a peanut butter machine. It has a hopper full of honey roasted peanuts and you put a container (she sells in a couple sizes and has the containers right there) under the machine, hit the button, and you get fresh, warm, honey roasted peanut butter, essentially the same way you get soft serve ice cream. It's the best peanut butter I've ever tasted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts