First Strawberries

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Clarice, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

DH picked the first of our strawberries this week. Yum, yum.

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Mine are coming on ... should have some ready by next Monday or so ... :D

Yum, yum... :2thumb:

3. swede

swede Member

I love strawberries and look forward to having place to grow my own soon.

Looking for opinions on the best way to preserve them for winter use. I'd rather not freeze them 'cuz I'm not sure about the energy supply.

How about freeze-dried versus dehydrated? I can dehydrate my own berries myself a purely self-indulgent goal would be to have "closest to fresh" in taste and texture.

Any thoughts?

4. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

This will be our first year to have fresh strawberries in abundance. I use to freeze mine, but do not like them mushy. I have made jam and jellies, I have canned them in lite syrup but nothing compares to fresh. Hope to get a dehydrator this year so I know I'll be drying some. Does anyone have any other ways of keeping that fresh taste????

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the first sign of flowers on the strawberries.

We've tried freezing, drying and preserves to keep our berries for winter. Freezing left us with mush when they thawed. Drying retained the flavor very well put the attempt to rehydrate gave us... mush. So this year I'm going to do mostly preserves but still dry a few quarts for snacking.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Think frozen strawberries and fresh milk (or store milk) and a ice cream maker!

Talk about yummy ... :2thumb:

We make jelly, freeze and make syrup for pancakes and such.:)

7. swede

swede Member

You madame, are a temptress!

:wave:

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

LOL!

Thanks for the smile ... For breakfast this morning ...fresh strawberries! :rolleyes:

9. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

Something is eating all the leaves off mine.. got my tomatoes too :/

10. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

Strawberries? Tomatoes? already!? I still have snow in my yard and my rhubarb is just barley peeking through it. I seriously need to move to a warmer climate :)

11. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

We're just drying out over here. I only have 2 flowers on my strawberries and no sign of berries...

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Got a hand full of Strawberries today ... what made it to the house :rolleyes: was put in the dehydrator. :D

Thought I would try them and see.

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Gonna e a bit before ours are ready. We only have a couple strawberry plants.