First longhorn calf

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by *Andi, May 16, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Take two ... (storms) ;)

Well ... my hubby had his first Longhorn calf born today. :woohoo: Sassy (short for Sassafras ... because she can be a real "B" ... had her calf today... Just so you know ... we are under a severe thunderstorm warning. :rolleyes: It is coming down in buckets!!!

Well, Sassy didn't come in for dinner ... hubby and son went on walk about to find her. She was down in the bottom with her new baby. Baby was up and running around. :2thumb: (the way I like it!!!!)

Not sure if it gets a name or not ... but cute as a picture can be. :D I hope she will bring "it" in come morning ... so I can post a picture.

On a side note had twin lambs born today also :2thumb:...

I love the homestead life!!!!

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures. How many longhorns do you have?

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We have eight longhorn, if you count the new calf. :D Four more to calf ... :D any time now/ later ... lol

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Our neighbor, with 600 acres, has about 80 longhorn. We had an old fashion, horseback rodeo last fall. Rounded them all up, ran them through chutes, put on ear tags, (no, they didn't get a hot-iron brand) photographed and vaccinated. Quite an experience.

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Mom and new baby ... :D

Attached Files:

• 092.jpg
      092.jpg
      File size:
      100.6 KB
      Views:
  6. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Awwwwwwwww so cute

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

She is cute as a button ... :D I wached her about an hour today ... jumping, playing with anything she could find. lol

She wanted over with the baby goats so bad she could not stand it. She would go over to the fence and moo at them and they would answer... it was very cute and good for the soul. ;)

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Awwww, that's so cool! What a good life, to be able to see such things! Awesome!

How old are the calves when they begin getting their horns?

Those are a couple of fine-looking cattle!

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Thanks gypsysue. :D

They start growing horns within a month, from what I have read.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

They grow so fast ... :D Update picture of Flash (Sundancers Flashy Lady per her papers. ;))

Attached Files:

• 061.jpg
      061.jpg
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
  11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

One more ... she is so cute!

Attached Files:

• 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

its so cute! I tried to save a bull,after $400 and fighting to hold it up,I accidently drowned it with feeding tube,no more cattle for me.They were kicking it and knocking it around at the cattle auction,so me and grandkids put it in back seat and took it home. It was 3 days old,it lived 4weeks.Named it Lucky Luke,it was not lucky,no more Luckys around here,he';s buried with all our other animals.

13. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Will she keep her color or do they change?Not many white cows around.
    :wave:

14. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

she is gorgeous...actually they all are! She looks like the color of a light buckskin horse..........very nice. congrats! :congrat:

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Meerkat - Some calves will be almost completely white when born and become speckled as they shed and age ... I hope she holds the color she has now. She looks like a white parks cow. :D The White Park is a breed of cattle that is white except for its points (ears, nose, eye area, feet and hooves, and teats); the points are usually black but may also be red.

We looked at the American White Parks before we got the longhorns, a very cool breed of cattle.

White Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if she adds a bit of speckled color ... I'm alright with that also. :flower:

16. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Lamb and longhorn stew...mmmm...:nuts:

17. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Andi-your cows are fine looking-healthy and happy. I also followed your link for the White Park cattle. Never heard of them but they're really neat looking cattle.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Jason, the Parks were very cool but not as easy to come by as the Longhorns... or that is what my hubby said at the time, then we get a longhorn bull out of Waco, Texas. LOL

Second calf on the ground. :2thumb: Little Bit (mom ;)) brought him in a little while ago. Tried to get a picture but it was getting dark. So I will try again in the morning.

Boys do not get names ... but my son has already started ... something about a team of oxen. LOL

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Bull calf ...

Attached Files:

• 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      91.5 KB
      Views:
  20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

And a third ... Welcome to the farm, Jasmine. :D