First Harvest

Discussion in 'Religion' started by *Andi, Jul 31, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The Wheel turns ... Aug 1st

Christian ... The feast of St. Peter in Chains, known as Lammas Day in English speaking countries, is a feast commemorating St Peter's miraculous deliverance from prison. The name is from loaf-mass, bread-feast; so called because on this day offerings were originally made of the first-fruits of harvest, the Catholic church baptizing the pagan festival in the tradition of the Hebrew First Fruits.

Pagan ... Lammas is a Pagan holiday, often called Lughnasadh, celebrating the first harvest and the reaping of grain. It is a cross-quarter holiday halfway between the Summer Solstice (Litha) and the Autumnal Equinox (Mabon). In the northern hemisphere, Lammas takes place around August 1 with the Sun near the midpoint of Leo in the tropical zodiac, while in the southern hemisphere Lammas is celebrated around February 1 with the Sun near the midpoint of Aquarius. On the Wheel of the Year, it is opposite Imbolc, which is celebrated on February 2 in the northern hemisphere, and late July / early August in the southern hemisphere. (from Wiki)

Look like I will be baking some bread ... ;)

2. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Very cool, Andi! Thanks for the info!

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

What?:confused:.Are you saying or admitting catholism is a pagan religian?
    Almost all our religian is full of paganism so your not alone.
    I was just reading about this tonight.

4. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Of course it is! The bible is full of pagan influence.

5. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

I usually stay out of these discussions cause everyone jumps in all insulted. Obviously, I'm not! LOL

6. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I tend to get along better with more pagans than Christians... they're generally less hypocritical and more genuinely enthusiastic about their faith.:beercheer:

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm not but I guess Wiki did ... ;)

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

And our gods like a cold brew and a party.

9. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

Or is it that paganism is full of influences of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? My church has even taught how the constellations were used as a picture story to teach Adam and Eve about how their salvation would be accomplished. Think on that.

No doubt the Catholic church tried to make Catholicism palatable to the pagans they were trying to convert but the Bible (upon which Catholicism is based) is God breathed and is not influenced by anyone or anything apart from God.

God turned water to wine for at least one party. He is no teetotaller! :) I have a pretty good idea about what God will be serving in heaven and it wont be water :D

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Pagans i.e. Greeks, Vikings, etc. were around BC or before Christ, so how could it be that Christianity predated religions that were BC?

11. TheAnt

Glad you asked, Christianity is basically a sect of Judaism which was the name given to those that worshiped God -- the God of Abraham. Christianity split from Judaism when Judaism failed to recognise the Messiah (Christ) promised to them and their forfathers since the first man and woman in the garden (also BC of course) -- Adam and Eve. Religions (including paganism) roots come from when Cain offered the fruits of his hands (things that he grew) instead of the offerings that which God demanded (a blood sacrifice) which was forshadowing the coming Messiah who would have to die in our place as payment for sin (namely Adams sin which is passed down to everyone from their father -- which is also why Jesus had to be born of a virgin to bypass that sin and be eligible to die in our place).

12. Asatrur

Sorry to hijack the thread, but huh? You still did not answer the question of how religions that were before christ even existed could be influenced by a religion that started with Christ?

13. TheAnt

Im sorry, I thought I just did. Judaism predates everything... it was the first 'religion' -- Christianity is basically a sect thereof. Kinda like 'well if you guys dont see the truth (the Messiah had come) we are not going to call ourselves people of the temple (God tore the shroud separating common men from the holy of holies in the temple from which point we (Christians) are the temple of God)) and instead call ourselves followers of Christ' which was later known as 'Christians'. I hope that is more clear.

EDIT: Lemme try another way to rephrase this... I am tracing my spiritual (religious if you must call it that) lineage or heritage to the first man and woman on this earth. Adam and Eve had direct contact with God. They walked the garden with Him. I worship God.

14. TheAnt

Back to the OP I never heard of 'First Harvest' but it sounds like a time of thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving that Americans celebrate is my favorite holiday!

15. Asatrur

Nope you did not, but we are done arguing who came first.

16. TheAnt

I apologize, I did my best but sometimes it just doesnt come out right. I dont want to argue either and we are off topic anyway I suppose :kiss:

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Kind of ... 'First Harvest' was the first of three Harvest Festival and yes, it is like a Thanksgiving.

First harvest is more of a celebration for the reaping of the grain. One of the reasons you bake bread on this day.

18. TheAnt

This makes sense. I know a lot of folks are thinking about the Pilgrims when celebrating Thanksgiving but I find myself just truly thankful for all the blessings in my life and its a good time of celebrating those blessings. I am truly thankful and thats why I love the holiday. I could see 'First Harvest' growing on me as I love homemade bread too!! :2thumb: