Fire Straws

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, Jul 11, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I did a search an didn't find anything on these.

Yall take a drinkin straw an cut it about 3 inchs long an then stuff in some patroleum jelly balls an pinch the end shut with a needle knose pliers an melt it shut.

Well, my ol fingers just don't deal well with that cotton ball tryin ta stuff it in that straw. So, what ta do? Well I make char cloth outa them round cotton pads what the woman folk use fer make up. Hmmm? There sorta quilted with a thread, cut one in half an lubed it up with some Murrays Pomaide an gave it a twist, thing screwed right inta the straw! Sealed it up an they work great!

Just another twist ta a great idear. Hope yall try some.

Here be a link ta the originals:
    KnivesShipFree.com - Fire Straws - KSF Newsletter

2. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

That's a great idea! Waterproof and portable. :2thumb:

3. pmabma

pmabma Well-Known Member

This work great and the grandkids had fun helping make them, thanks for the post.:)

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Cool, I'll have to give it a try.

5. Calebra

Calebra Well-Known Member

Another way of getting the same effect is soak a clay brick in gasoline after breaking it into pieces. Do it overnight and you've got amazing firestarer to have with you.

6. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Very neat. I will definitely be making some of these tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

7. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Thanks for the link!

8. geoffreys7

geoffreys7 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea for small firestarters! I also make some larger ones using those small paper cups you get for Ketchup at McDonalds. I fill them with a mixture of melted wax and sawdust or wood shavings. I saw them for sale at a general store in a National Park and copied them.

9. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

If you get the strike anywhere matches and take a few of those and put them in a straw and seal the ends then you have a waterproof way to light fires too. I'm sitting here wondering if my foodsaver will pinch and seal the end of a straw...:scratch might be a good way to take salt and sugar and other powdered things like garlic camping-one or two teaspoon amounts sealed into a straw.. like the special honey they sell at the fair.. sealed into the smaller straws. Gonna hafta go and play! :D

10. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

WOW!now that's an idea!

You've inspired me.I think I'll take a hiking staff sized piece of aluminum conduit and do something similar like the old "Survival" knives.I'll bet I can get a space blanket up in that sucker!

*runs to shop*