Fire Maker

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, Jun 25, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Picked up some used files taday an made this up:

[​IMG]

Made my first fire striker along with some char cloth an quartz my inlaws brought me. I've use the whole works an made fire!

Gonna make up some more an got a few tins. Gonna give one ta each a the boys.

Gotta get me some smithin tools an my forge built this summer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Husker

Husker Member

How did you prepare your char cloth?

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Very neat Coot,nothing like homemade tools.

4. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

coot may have another way, I've Taken a cleened out paint can (VERY CLEEN) poked a hole in the lid. cut stripps of cotton(denim works well).put the cotton in the can,closed the lid tightly, put the can in a fire. Smoke will start coming out of the hole in the lid. as soon as the smoke stops,put a plug of wood in the hole tightly and remove from fire. after the can COMPLETELY cools you can open it up. All of the cloth should be charred.

5. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I make a couple a different kinds.

I use a tin I bought at the goodwill fer 50 cents. Poke a hole in the lid with a 4d finish nail.

I make one type usin them cotton pads the women folk use fer their make up, there like 2 bucks fer a whole package. These work real well with a fire steel.

The second type I make outa cotton denim from my old bibs. Cut em inta 2 inch squares. These I use fer the flint an steel cause there a bit more rugged then the make up pads.

I put bought 10 ta 12 pices in the tin an I use a single burner electric cooker out in the shop. Put the burner on high an let the smoke start spurtin outa the hole in the lid. I occasionally light a match an get the smoke ta burnin, when that fire goes out I give it a extra minute or two then take it off the heat an let the tin cool off. Yer char cloth should be nice an black. If it got a brown tint to it ya need ta bake it some more.

If done right, they'll take a spark right away.

6. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

Very cool. I admire the art of smithing. I'd love to get into it but don't have the room! Great job there!