Finding a good heavy duty can opener

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by CVORNurse, Oct 24, 2008.

1. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on where to look for a good can opener, or what brand to get? My community is limited to walmart mostly. I have not been happy with the last 2 I have bought there, even getting the more expensive ones rather than the cheaper. One slipped on the can the first time I used it. I have a kitchen aid that worked ok, but it is getting worn out.

2. Blister

Blister Active Member

The only advice I can give is, if it were me, I would NOT get it from that walmart. If you do, next year, you'll be buying a new one. We went through the same issue and I cuss this can opener every time I use it.

... so, I'm kinda looking for one as well.

3. green girl

green girl Member

While you are looking around for a good turning action can opener, check out the device on your swiss army knife. Lovely manual little device that has never failed me. All the rest end up going on me over time.

4. JeepHammer

JeepHammer Well-Known Member

I still use a P-51...
    The oversize version of a military P-38 Can opener...

The last really good rotary can opener I found was at the restaurant supply store of all places!

Works good, is heavier duty than the ones you find in retail stores, and it works GREAT...
    The only thing is, it's about 1/4 bigger than the ones you find in retail stores, so it looks 'Clunky' when you see it.

5. Blister

Blister Active Member

I can do clunky.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

7. Blister

Blister Active Member

Your link came out incorrect somehow: here it is: Planned obsolescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the first documented occurrence of this was the singer sowing machine in the early 1800's. They got mad because their product lasted so long and was built so well that no one needed to buy another one.

It's EVIL and it makes me want to curse at people... and that's when I'm feeling nice.

8. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Ready for Doomsday!

9. Eyrland

Eyrland New Member

If you get to an older community where the stores are small owner opperated try an old fashioned hardware store and you may get lucky and find they have a supply of the old hand crank model.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Amateur Radio call sign KM4GDU

we have a older wall mounted can opener at our Cabin is is some thing like this
    [​IMG]

11. ke4sky

ke4sky ke4sky

Swing Away and commercial food service opener

Here's another source for the Swing Away can opener

Heavy Duty Swing-A-Way Can Opener

This is a food-service type bench opener which is handy if you need to open the large commercial-type cans:

Opener w/Base

12. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for their input. Think I will go with a swingaway.
    Ridgerunner, when we moved into our house, there was actually a wall mount can opener similar to yours mounted on the back porch. My DH would seem to have removed it, and can't remember what he did with it :(
    And ke4sky, I wish I had a place to put a commercial can opener. We had one at my mom's restaurant, and they are awesome. Hers came with the place, was probably 20 yrs old and still worked 3 times as fast as a hand opener.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  13. ke4sky

ke4sky ke4sky

Roger THAT! We've an Edlund E1 commercial opener at the community food kitchen I volunteer at. WWII Army Surplus. Paid as much for a replacement cutter from the manufacturer as I they for the opener years ago. They still sell parts for them! Built like a tank! Now should last for another 60 years!

14. Big B

Big B Well-Known Member

The word is P 38, any questions????
    I still have the one I used in Viet Nam, it works well, always has, maybe my great grandchildren will wear it out.
    :rolleyes:

15. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Guest

Rusty cutter on can opener

Does anyone else have trouble with their Swing Away cutter wheel rusting? I wash it by hand but it rusted pretty quick after I started using it.
    Thanks!!

16. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Well-Known Member

Ace Hardware has 'em, several flavors, not cheapest but good.

I buy for half price at Ross's discount (in housewares) and pay 5-6$.. 10$ easy elsewhere, sometimes more..

Have one branded Cuisinart (that's great) and one branded Echo (that was identical in design and 2x the price)..

ask me which one i like. :)

17. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Edlund is the bomb. Buy one at a restaurant supply store. Make sure you pick up a replacement blade when you buy so you don't have to try and find one later.