Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading your threads regularly over the past few months, and have finally decided to join.

I've had an uncomfortable feeling for some quite some time now. I don't have the life skills people had in times past, and can't provide for my family if the shtf. I've been gradually adding skills over the years, and though I'm far from where I need to be, I now feel I'm at least on the right track.

In my past life (pre-children) I was an engineer. I was also a Marine Reservist. I became a stay at home mom when we started having children. When my oldest child was a toddler (she's now 13) we moved to a small town in Mexico. We learned about getting by without all the things you're used to having at your fingertips. I grew my first garden, and also tried raising chickens and sheep (not with great results, but at least I learned something). We moved back to the US four years later, but still own property there, and try to go most summers. Durring our summers, we've gotten experience living without electricity, and with a sporadic water supply. The kids (there's now four of them) sleep in a tent, while my husband and I do "indoor camping" sleeping under a mosquito net indoors with the convenience of a bathroom, but not of a fan or lights. I've come to really appreciate a propane stove and water heater. We had a propane fridge one year, and that was luxurious. Normally it's an ice chest, and our property is in the desert.

We relocated to Central Florida a couple of years ago, and I'm trying to learn how to garden in this climate. I'm stocking my pantry, and my husband is learning to hunt. He's not quite a prepper, but he doesn't give me too much grief about the "wierd" deliveries showing up at the door.

We have a baby due in November, so all the more reason to get prepared.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Never to late to start, or to early in my case.

And congrats on the little one.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

You've had interesting adventures!

:)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Of course I'm late to the party but WELCOME!
Start learning one thing at a time and just think-You're already ahead of those who bury their heads in the sand..
Florida is more of a fall/winter/spring growing season with only tropicals and a few other special things growing in the heat of the summer.

Look up Meerkat here as he is a Florida guy and he can probably give you a hand on the time tables and hints on what works for him... I used to live way down by Miami and that is like a whole other world from Michigan..

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome Aboard! You have a great attitude and that's 1/2 the battle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Of course I'm late to the party but WELCOME!

Look up Meerkat here as he is a Florida guy and he can probably give you a hand on the time tables and hints on what works for him... I used to live way down by Miami and that is like a whole other world from Michigan..
Emerald, we are just fashionably late, lol.

Welcome to the forum, their are several that are just getting onboard. Maybe you could start when Publix has their buy one get one free deals. Just store the free one.

I thought MeerKat was a woman! Sometimes it's hard to tell when everyone wears the same clothes here. :scratch

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already stock up on Publix BOGO's, as well as buying things by the flat at Aldi's. I think we could get by for a couple of months on what's in the pantry and freezer right now.

We're in a rental, and I think we'll have to move to another part of town next summer (school zoning issues), so I'm conflicted regarding how much to prep. I need to keep things portable. I also can't store food in the garage. It's too blazing hot! I've started to get #10 cans from Emergency Essentials. They're lightweight, and fit in the closet. I've also got some buckts of wheat, and some spare gamma lids for storing rice and beans soon.

I know that it takes time to hone new skills, so I figure that's certainly something we can work on this year. Knowledge is certainly portable!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask questions. Feel free to participate in the discussions too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forums :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.