Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Not sure which forum to put this in...)

I'm looking for some field guides, and it's hard to get a feel for them on amazon, without actually looking at them. I'd love to get recommendations from you all - what's your favorite field guide? What's the guide (or guides) that you find yourself turning to again and again?

I'm talking about all sorts of field guides - trees, mammals, birds, wildflowers, edibles - all of it. We have the Trees of Ohio, Birds of Ohio, etc. guides, and we like them very much. But I'm finding I want more. I want more information, more pictures, to be able to identify the flora and fauna that we see. (I am especially having a hard time identifying some saplings in our woods.) Beyond flora and fauna, there are specialized field guides for medicinal plants and that sort of thing (Peterson's has one), and I'm wondering if anyone actually uses these guides.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Peterson Field Guildes ... Edible, herbal, trees etc ... I find I'm always checking my Peterson. :)

Check out your library that way you can get a look at the before you order.

·
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed
1,284 Posts
Peterson Field Guildes ... Edible, herbal, trees etc ... I find I'm always checking my Peterson. :)

I'm with Andi, I just bought Eastern/Central Medicinal Plants & Herbs by Peterson & couldn't put it down for 3 days. :D

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andi and PN4G. I really wanted someone to enable me on the medicinal and edible guides. :D

Andi, I'm in a rural county, so you'd think the county library system would have at least some field guides to look at. But nope. Just Petersen's tracks, which I like and will get.

PN4G, my husband and I are the same way with the guides we have. Whether it's about birds or butterflies or trees - we'll sit and read through them again and again, and point things out to each other. I told him we've become nature nerds. :)

I'm just really feeling this drive to collect information right now.... :eek:

·
Registered
784 Posts

I'll add a third vote here as well. Most peterson guides if I remember correctly run around $20. I have the edible wild plants one and the medicinal wild plants one. BOTH are in my "herbing" backpack. If I'm out gathering anything from cattails, to ginseng, to bllodroot, to wild ginger I have them along for a case of, That plant looks familiar, I think it is.............
all I need to do is look through the color pics to see if I can confirm it.
Otherwise the audabon society has a similar set but other than the mushroom book I think peterson's is better.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks Andi and PN4G. I really wanted someone to enable me on the medicinal and edible guides. :D
goshengirl.... wish you lived closer to my area. I'd offer (in season) to take you and your husband "under my wing" and share what I know. While by no means an expert at it, I am familiar with and have/ do use around 125-130 plants, for food/ medicinal.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts

Andi, I'm in a rural county, so you'd think the county library system would have at least some field guides to look at. But nope. Just Petersen's tracks, which I like and will get.

I'm just really feeling this drive to collect information right now.... :eek:
Wow ... that is a surprise!

Soooooooo ... Here you go, I have never been unhappy with any Peterson field guide. :D (And I have more than a few :eek:) Even the one on weather was a good read ...

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goshengirl.... wish you lived closer to my area. I'd offer (in season) to take you and your husband "under my wing" and share what I know. While by no means an expert at it, I am familiar with and have/ do use around 125-130 plants, for food/ medicinal.
That's so nice of you, and I would LOVE that! I think that's the ideal way to learn. How did you learn - did you have a mentor? With so much going on, I'm having a hard time staying focused. :eek:

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow ... that is a surprise!

Soooooooo ... Here you go, I have never been unhappy with any Peterson field guide. :D (And I have more than a few :eek:) Even the one on weather was a good read ...
Thanks, Andi! Oh yay, now I'm enabled on the WEATHER guide, too! :D (it did look really intriguing on amazon)

·
Registered
784 Posts
That's so nice of you, and I would LOVE that! I think that's the ideal way to learn. How did you learn - did you have a mentor? With so much going on, I'm having a hard time staying focused. :eek:
My grandparents were full blooded cherokee indian ( on my mothers side) So being older they had followed many of the old traditions/ learning. They were both full of great knowledge. Unfortionate for me they died while I was a kid and didn't have the time to teach me as much as they and I wanted. But they did instill in me the love of my heritage and were the driving force to read, study and get hands on everything I could.

I was additionally blessed growing up in the country where several "neighbors" ( closest was about a mile away) were older in their 60's and 70's and knew a tremendous amout about the subject as well. So when my buddies were playing baseball and basketball, I was visiting the "old folks" enjoying everything they could share, and it was a lot. Started out at 11 os 12 walking to the nearest ones after school and then when I could drive visit them that way and trade out rides "into town" for stuff for their knowledge. It was a win-win ( I got the better end of the deal) they got company as most of them's kids didn't have time to mess with them, which most of them loved to tell their "old stories" and were "tickled to have a young un" to share them with.

I just wish there were still some around I could still go see, but the last one died in 88 at 102 years old. SIGH.... thanks for helping me remember some of the best times I had growing up! I've got both a smile on my lips and a tear in my eye.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have a great book in my library, the book is huge and filled with lots of information - too big for a back pocket, more of a coffee-table sized book.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Wisdom-Know-How-Everything/dp/1579127533

Survival Wisdom & Know-How is the most complete, all-in-one volume on every aspect of outdoor adventure and survival ever, from orienteering to campfire cooking to ice climbing and beyond. Culled from dozens of respected books from Stackpole, the industry's leader in outdoor adventure, this massive collection of wilderness know-how leaves absolutely nothing to chance when it comes to surviving and thriving in the wilderness-and appreciating every minute of it.

Topics include Building Outdoor Shelter, Tracking Animals, Winter Camping, Tying Knots, Orienteering, Reading the Weather, Identifying Edible Plants and Berries, Surviving in the Desert, Bird Watching, Fishing and Ice Fishing, Hunting and Trapping, Canoeing, Kayaking, and White Water Rafting, First Aid, Wild Animals, Cookery, and much more. Useful illustrations and photos throughout make it easy to browse and use. With contributions by the experts at the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) as well as the editors of Stackpole's Discover Nature series, Survival Wisdom & Know-How is the definitive, must-have reference for the great outdoors.
Get it for about $14 from Amazon and you might find it at other sources as well.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Any suggestions on medicinal books? I've already got some on what is good for headaches or good for muscle ache or has anti bacterial properties, etc. The problem is they all say stuff like "Use 4 drops from a tincture of ...." But I have yet to find one that really goes into details of what a tincture is and how to specifically prepare (and store) it. Yes I have researched and figured some of it out but it would be nice to have a good hard copy book that really takes you through all phases... ID, collecting, processing, making and finally using. Does such a guide exist?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Any suggestions on medicinal books? I've already got some on what is good for headaches or good for muscle ache or has anti bacterial properties, etc. The problem is they all say stuff like "Use 4 drops from a tincture of ...." But I have yet to find one that really goes into details of what a tincture is and how to specifically prepare (and store) it. Yes I have researched and figured some of it out but it would be nice to have a good hard copy book that really takes you through all phases... ID, collecting, processing, making and finally using. Does such a guide exist?
Goatlady post an awesome basic herbal coiurse ... It goes over how to make a tincture ...

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f3/basic-herbal-course-9814/

Again check your local library ... :) Ours has a sell each month and I have been able to get a number of herbal books for a little of nothing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts