Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(NaturalNews) We here at NaturalNews cannot stress enough how important it is to take the time to fight back against the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) latest assault against vitamins and dietary supplements.

Proposed guidelines put forth by the agency for "New Dietary Ingredients" (NDIs) propose treating vitamins, herbs, and dietary supplements as synthetic food preservatives, which means pulling many of them off the market, and subjecting the rest to extreme regulatory protocols that will drive up costs and severely limit availability.

The Dietary Supplement Health and Information Act of 1994 (DSHEA), as many NaturalNews readers likely already know, was a major victory achieved for health freedom. It is also the foundation upon which the dietary supplement market as well as the health of millions of Americans has thrived.

Part of this legislation, however, outlines that the FDA must establish a final rule for how supplement manufacturers are to notify the agency of NDIs, a mandate that the FDA finally got around to addressing back in July. But what the FDA came up with as a solution is the complete opposite of what DSHEA, and the Congress that passed it, intended for the agency to do.

Instead of creating a simple method of notification as it was supposed to do, the FDA decided instead to manipulate and distort the NDI notification process by turning it into a type of regulatory approval process, similar to what drug companies are required to complete in order to get new drugs approved.

Under the proposed FDA guidelines, vitamin and dietary supplement manufacturers will have to submit applications for approval, rather than notifications of use, for all new ingredients or ingredient blends they use that were not in widespread use prior to 1994 when DSHEA was passed.

Because of tricky language contained in the proposal, practically all supplements currently on the market will be subjected to these new guidelines, as the FDA considers things like changed dosages and altered ingredient formulations with new ingredients.

This means that manufacturers of high-dose vitamin D, for instance, will be required to submit new NDI applications if the doses they sell were not in widespread use prior to DSHEA's passage in 1994. And even if the FDA approves an individual company's application for a specific form and dose of vitamin D, each additional manufacturer of the same vitamin D form and dose would also have to submit individual NDI applications for their products as well.

Be sure to read the shocking, full NaturalNews report on the FDA's proposed guidelines here: http://www.naturalnews.com/032924_d...

In accordance with Codex Alimentarius, FDA guidelines will treat nutrients as toxins
What the FDA's entire NDI proposal boils down to is the agency's capitulation to Codex Alimentarius provisions that treat nutrients like toxins. As we have written about on numerous occasions, US harmonization with Codex's Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements has been the goal of globalist planners for years, and the FDA has cooperated nicely with this agenda via S. 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act (http://www.naturalnews.com/030863_f...), and now the NDI application process.

The disastrous implications of the Codex vitamin and mineral guidelines (or planned world genocide) include establishing "upper safe levels" of vitamins and minerals, and subjecting vitamins and minerals to the same toxicologic risk assessment protocols as deadly toxins like lead and mercury.

To read the finalized Codex guidelines for vitamins and minerals that were passed back in 2005, visit: American Holistic Health Association (AHHA) - Codex Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements. Be sure to pay close attention to Section 3. Composition, which describes, in detail, how vitamins and minerals are to be treated under the new international food code, which in turn will eliminate their availability on the marketplace.

YOU can help stop the FDA's takeover of vitamins and supplements by following these six simple steps
The Life Extension Foundation (LEF), a valued and respected ally of NaturalNews, has constructed a set of measures that every member of the natural health community must complete in order to stop the FDA from stealing our supplements. LEF is asking everyone to complete all of the following steps:

1) Complete LEF's sample petition letter and send it to the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutrition, Labeling and Dietary supplements: http://www.lei.org

2) Print out the same petition, customize it into your own voice, and fax it to the FDA at (301) 443-9767.

3) Call the FDA at (888) 723-3366 and read your petition aloud to personnel at the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutrition, Labeling and Dietary Supplements.

4) Submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to determine which pharmaceutical interests are behind the FDA's NDI proposal and push to eliminate supplements from the marketplace, which benefit the drug industry by eliminating natural medicine, and causing those supplements that are still available to skyrocket in price.

5) Submit letters to your two state Senators, as well as to your local Representative, demanding that the FDA immediately withdraw its tyrannical proposal: Life Extension Foundation -- Issues and Legislation...

6) Send a letter to the President's Office of Management and Budget notifying it that the FDA's proposal is in direct conflict with Executive Order -- Regulation and Independent Regulatory Agencies issued on July 11, 2011. FDA's proposals directly violate this order, which stipulates that burdensome regulations that interfere with job creation, economic growth, and innovation must be repealed

Finally, the Alliance for Natural Health - USA (ANH-USA), another NaturalNews ally, has set up a call-in day to Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011. ANH-USA is asking the entire natural health community to call their Congressmen on this day and demand that FDA's NDI proposals be stopped.

Remember, massive push back from people just like you -- and maybe even from many of you back in the early 1990s is what successfully passed DSHEA in the first place. Now is the time, once again, to let our voices be heard, and stop the tyranny that seeks to eliminate our free access to natural vitamins, minerals, and dietary supplements.

Sources for this story include:

Learn more: Take action NOW to stop FDA from turning your vitamins and supplements into unapproved 'food additives'

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
In other words ... The pharmaceutical industry is ticked because they are not getting the whole pie any more... Thanks for posting.

As big gobbermint pushes others will look to find a different way ...

But the simple medicinal weeds in your backyard will always be there for you to use, without any multilevel marketing schemes, exorbitant price tags, dangerous side effects, exploitation of third-world child labor, expensive equipment, capital, or even fancy packaging to throw away. (Wardwell)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But the simple medicinal weeds in your backyard will always be there for you to use, without any multilevel marketing schemes, exorbitant price tags, dangerous side effects, exploitation of third-world child labor, expensive equipment, capital, or even fancy packaging to throw away. (Wardwell)
In the UK they already took a lot of vitamins off the market April of this year. It is now illegal to grow a lot of the herbs as well.

DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS WORLD OUT THERE...

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
If you think about it more than a few "herbs" are illegal (or have rules and regs on them) here as well.

And as the people stand by more and more will become illegal.

When they were pushing the smoking ban for bars and such ...(gobbermint buildings ... fine but not buildings owned by "Joe".) I was screaming at the top of my lungs, but most people joined the ban it wagan, for they saw it as a good thing. I told them it was only a short hop to ban that pepsi, coke or a fat cookie they all love, just as well.

And what happened ... well, we no longer can get pepsi, coke or that fat cookie in gobbermint buildings now. (around here) But you can get juice, milk or an apple. ;)

And the rest is coming, I heard where a large chain will now give apples in the kids meals and only a few french fries ... Oh and now they want to ban smoking in your car and home. :woohoo:

Some stupid movie keeps popping up in my head ... Some furture movie, I saw years ago ... Where eggs, coffee and fat cookies are illegal but you can get them it you know where "the farmer" hide out is in the hills ... ;)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
There needs to be some sort of oversight on the vitamin and supplement industry; they have existed in a black hole for years, and some dangerous products have been out on the market because these "health supplements" are not subject to testing.

I can see vitamins and single ingredient products (fish oil, St. John's wort, etcetera) being exempt, but some of these engineered chemical cocktails that promise to melt off fifty pounds in one week and guarantee to increase muscle mass by 80% in two days.... stuff like that needs to be investigated.

And what happened ... well, we no longer can get pepsi, coke or that fat cookie in gobbermint buildings now. (around here) But you can get juice, milk or an apple. ;)
Not in Federal Government buildings, I assure you! If they tried to take the Mountain Dew away from the geeks at my agency, all Hell would break loose! There would be zombie geeks roaming the halls moaning, "Suuuuuugaaaaaaar!"

We have cafes in most buildings that have a lot of healthy snacks, but you can bet that EVERY building has at least one Coke machine and one next to it full of candy bars.

Saint Paul said, "all things in moderation."

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I can see vitamins and single ingredient products (fish oil, St. John's wort, etcetera) being exempt, but some of these engineered chemical cocktails that promise to melt off fifty pounds in one week and guarantee to increase muscle mass by 80% in two days.... stuff like that needs to be investigated.

Saint Paul said, "all things in moderation."
I can kind of agree with you in regard the some of the herb cocktails; However, when can we completely regulate stupid? Your coworkers sucking mass quantities of Mt. Dew fit into this category. I may smoke and live to be 100 and you may smoke and die of lung cancer at 30. So who needs to be responsible for everything everybody does and their poor gene pool. If we are so stupid to take herb cocktails that make us sick or eat processed food the gives us cancer then so be it. I would rather see the FDA remove all of the chemicals from foods any day than outlaw natural herbs and vitamins. :D

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Here is my humble opinion.

All dietary supplements, herbs, and vitamins are taken by individuals on a voluntary basis based on their own personal research and personal needs. I do not feel that the government needs to control any substance I choose to put into my system. It is my responsibility to do my research and figure out what works for me.

Having the feds involved in this process scares the hell out of me. Heck, having the feds involved in ANY process scares the hell out of me.

This is yet another example of our federal government acting on the demands of big business. In this case it is the pharmacutical companies.

Here is a pretty good link on prescription drugs APRROVED by the FDA. Just because the FDA approves a drug, does it mean it is safe?

Again, it is a personal responsibility to know what you are voluntarily putting into your body, not the governments.
Drug Lawsuits | Rx Lawsuits

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
This is an old article accompanied by a more recent article about pharmaceuticals and they want to go after vitamins? Are you kidding? :surrender:

In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA
Article Date: 09 Aug 2004 - 13:00 PDT

An average of 195,000 people in the USA died due to potentially preventable, in-hospital medical errors in each of the years 2000, 2001 and 2002, according to a new study of 37 million patient records that was released today by HealthGrades, the healthcare quality company.

The HealthGrades Patient Safety in American Hospitals study is the first to look at the mortality and economic impact of medical errors and injuries that occurred during Medicare hospital admissions nationwide from 2000 to 2002. The HealthGrades study applied the mortality and economic impact models developed by Dr. Chunliu Zhan and Dr. Marlene R. Miller in a research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in October of 2003. The Zhan and Miller study supported the Institute of Medicine's (IOM) 1999 report conclusion, which found that medical errors caused up to 98,000 deaths annually and should be considered a national epidemic.

The HealthGrades study finds nearly double the number of deaths from medical errors found by the 1999 IOM report "To Err is Human," with an associated cost of more than $6 billion per year. Whereas the IOM study extrapolated national findings based on data from three states, and the Zhan and Miller study looked at 7.5 million patient records from 28 states over one year, HealthGrades looked at three years of Medicare data in all 50 states and D.C. This Medicare population represented approximately 45 percent of all hospital admissions (excluding obstetric patients) in the U.S. from 2000 to 2002.

"The HealthGrades study shows that the IOM report may have underestimated the number of deaths due to medical errors, and, moreover, that there is little evidence that patient safety has improved in the last five years," said Dr. Samantha Collier, HealthGrades' vice president of medical affairs. "The equivalent of 390 jumbo jets full of people are dying each year due to likely preventable, in-hospital medical errors, making this one of the leading killers in the U.S."

HealthGrades examined 16 of the 20 patient-safety indicators defined by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - from bedsores to post-operative sepsis - omitting four obstetrics-related incidents not represented in the Medicare data used in the study. Of these sixteen, the mortality associated with two, failure to rescue and death in low risk hospital admissions, accounted for the majority of deaths that were associated with these patient safety incidents. These two categories of patients were not evaluated in the IOM or JAMA analyses, accounting for the variation in the number of annual deaths attributable to medical errors. However, the magnitude of the problem is evident in all three studies.

"If we could focus our efforts on just four key areas - failure to rescue, bed sores, postoperative sepsis, and postoperative pulmonary embolism - and reduce these incidents by just 20 percent, we could save 39,000 people from dying every year," said Dr. Collier.

100,000 Americans Die Each Year from Prescription Drugs, While Pharma Companies Get Rich | Personal Health | AlterNet

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
If we want to take vitimins,its our risk or right.
No way could herbs be any worse than prescription meds with all the side effects.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
How about if the vitamin and supplement industry just put the same warnings as big pharma does? That should take care of the problem, it worked for all the medications you see advertised on TV.

Take this if you need to sleep, the gentle natural way to get the rest you need… May cause drowsiness, driving while asleep, convulsions, eating while sleeping, restlessness, high blood pressure, nausea, diabetes, suicidal thoughts or tendencies, kidney failure or death. Do not mix with any other medications or symptoms may be fatal.

Problem solved everyone is happy!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
How about if the vitamin and supplement industry just put the same warnings as big pharma does? That should take care of the problem, it worked for all the medications you see advertised on TV.

Take this if you need to sleep, the gentle natural way to get the rest you need… May cause drowsiness, driving while asleep, convulsions, eating while sleeping, restlessness, high blood pressure, nausea, diabetes, suicidal thoughts or tendencies, kidney failure or death. Do not mix with any other medications or symptoms may be fatal.

Problem solved everyone is happy!
Good idea,but then they can't make billions off them.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
In other words ... The pharmaceutical industry is ticked because they are not getting the whole pie any more... Thanks for posting.

As big gobbermint pushes others will look to find a different way ...

YA! What Andi said! :2thumb:

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with you Andi on this one.

"Without any miltilevel marketing schemes" I trade seeds and herbs with multiple people, use my marketing skills to get certain ones I like from them and scheme how to make my garden better next year, is this what you mean?

"Exorbitant price tags" I have spend a few dollars on gardening stuff!!!

"Dangerous side effects" I have had some nasty blisters, gotten stung by bees, HIGHLY addicting and consumes massive amounts of valuable TV watching time.

"Exploitation of third-world child labor" Hrrmm... I exploit an under 12 year old black girl. I took away her ability to have a family against her will, she is forced to dig after, catch and kill moles, I make her walk guard at all hours of the day and night, help fertilize, bring me tools when I command her and I have been known to be abusive and tell her 'No No No' when caught digging in a zone designated a 'no digging zone'. She receives no pay, works long hours including nights and weekends and is actually on call 24/7. She receives a small amount of food that most people would not consider edible. Sleeps on the floor using a stinky old pillow and a ratty 12 year old blanket that has a few holes in it and has a corner that was chewed up. She has actually been working under these conditions for me all her life, indentured servitude I believe it is called. That does not sound like a union labor environment to me.

"Expensive equipment" I have a BCS tiller, it is a pleasure to use but drained the bank account quite a bit.

"Capital" I initially purchased all my seeds and tools so that was a pretty good outlay of capital.

"Fancy packaging to throw away" All my herbs come with really nice packaging and I throw lots of it away into the compost pile.

:beercheer:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Well ... alright there, Woody ... :flower:

(And thanks for the smile. :D)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts