Favorite Popcorn Recipes. Please share!

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by SurvivalNut, Sep 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I recently purchased 5 superpails of popping corn.

I figure it is a nice wholesome snack to cover the drudgery of a SHTF diet in the long haul.

What are your favorite recipes? Salt, sugar, cheese, curry?

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you could always go 'pro' & build a big kettle for kettlecorn... :D

I'm a savory over sweet kind of guy tho, I LIKE mine buttered AND salted :congrat:

3. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

popcorn is loaded with carbs and has no nutritional value and is a good food to fill up on but will do no harn til it's loaded with all the toppings like butter, cheese,carmel,salt ect. I just air pop it and eat it plain

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Popcorn, however, DOES have lots of fiber, which gives it some redeeming features! It makes it a "good" carb, at least until I smother it in melted real butter and salt!

Eating it plain, for me, would take the joy out of it and I wouldn't bother. Same with anything I don't really like that much, like candy that isn't chocolate. Why waste the calories? I hold out for the good stuff!

And walk a couple extra miles on my walk to "work it off"! Moderation is a key factor too. I'm happy with a cup of popcorn with a light drizzle of real butter and a sprinkle of salt over it (well, okay, then I shake it up and add more salt...). It doesn't have to be a huge bowl of popcorn to make me happy.

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

There are so many different things that you can do with popcorn-makes a nifty breakfast cereal if you add a bit of sugar and cinnamon and just pour milk on it.
    you can blend it a bit and use it coat your chicken or even your pork chops and oven roast them so that they have a crust.
    I often make rich caramel corn with nuts for holiday gifts.
    I love just popping some up in a bit of oil and then just put that melted butter over it!
    Or right at the end of popping but while it is still going on I have put about 1/4 cup of raw sugar in there and it slightly melts into the corn-add a bit of butter and salt and you have fresh, hot kettle corn.
    I have also dried my extra pizza and spaghetti sauce and powdered it and you use that as a sprinkle along with Parmigiana cheese and you have a great "gourmet" popcorn.
    While I do try to eat healthy most of the time I do have a shaker of white powdered cheddar in the spice drawer that will sometimes go on the popcorn! Don't tell.:sssh:
    If you find that your storage popcorn is leaving too many old maids try this trick- get a mason jar and fill the jar with the popcorn-add about 1 teaspoon of water and shake really well and put in the fridge for about 24 hours- this should add a bit more moisture to the corn and make it pop more fully.
    Also if you decide to grow any out for yourself-let it dry on the stalks as long as possible-most of the critters around here don't seem to bother it like they do the other corn I have grown-once it is bone dry and rattly I then take the husks and tie them back like you would for Indian corn for display and hang it to dry for another month or so--too fresh a popcorn will also not pop well-we usually don't even try to pop it till Thanksgiving here in MI.
    :soapbox2:
    While I didn't grow any this year my family is a big fan of popcorn-we just picked up quite a few of the mini ears of strawberry and mixed color popcorn at the pumpkin patch roadside stand(.25¢ an ear)- it is good for you as it is a WHOLE GRAIN, COMPLEX CARB- not just filler carbs-it has a tiny bit of fat and good fiber. Just think it is 3 whole cups popped for one serving-great snack for my hubby who is diabetic- he can have tons of it and it doesn't screw with his blood sugars like some of the other snack foods do.

SO don't let anyone poop on your popcorn parade!:woohoo:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

White powdered cheddar over popcorn ... yummy :2thumb: but for the most part just butter and salt.

I think you need some 'fun' foods ... sometimes.:D

7. Colicab

Colicab New Member

Tapatio Hot sauce is delicious. And, if you have a couple of limes, then a spritz with the hot sauce is yummy :D

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I just bought some Ms. Dash chili lime and it is great on popcorn! But I still add salt--cuz I can and don't have to watch it!:D

9. Wyobuckaroo

Wyobuckaroo Member

Popcorn Balls.......

The kind you make with cherry, strawberry, or jello flavor of your choice.
    :2thumb:
    Wyo

10. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

I'll second that

11. beanpicker

beanpicker Well-Known Member

I found a book at yard sale years ago, "cornzapoppin "by Barbara Williams that has this recipe, that I use at times, just use a couple table spoons of dry onion mix with your melted butter an sprinkle on popcorn, I like to use a rolling pin an baggie to crush the dry onions . I also like parmesan cheese on my pop corn, heck I love pop corn whick ever way it's made.

12. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I have a few #10’s of popcorn also, need some fun foods. I’m a fan of plain or with a little salt. Sure butter, caramel or all the others are great too but I like it plain and simple. For me it is a great filling snack that is as much fun to make as it is to eat!

13. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

14. OdieB

OdieB OdieB

Popcorn

I just bought a LOT of red & white striped "popcorn bags" from the dollar store. They were 2/$1 and had 12 bags in each pack. Just thought that would add a happy touch to a boring, or difficult evening. With kids, OR adults! Makes sharing easy and they are cheap and easy to store. I have real popcorn salt too.

Maybe just that little touch would make someone happier.

-OdieB

**Oh, I have an awesome recipe for Jello Popcorn balls. I will dig it up and post it soon. You use the standard sugar/cornsyrup type base, but add a box of Jello for the flavoring and color. They are DELICIOUS ! ! ! !

15. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

We air pop our popcorn. I LOVE coconut oil melted in the topper with salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and sometimes some chili powder, if I am in a spicy mood ;). If not, coconut oil salt and thyme, or some kind of herb.
    We get on these kicks and have to eat a bowl a night. It is addicting!

16. dnsnthegrdn

dnsnthegrdn Member

My hubby makes it with nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, and butter. Lord have mercy, it's so good! I'm lazy if it's left to me I eat it plain.

17. dnsnthegrdn

dnsnthegrdn Member

I have to admit, I hadn't thought of storing popcorn, but I will now. :congrat:

18. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I also hadn't thought of storing popcorn...........I've never eaten popcorn anyway except with butter and salt, This sounds like a new adventure!:congrat:

19. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Melt some season all,1/2 a lemon juice and a cap full of tequila into your butter before popping.margarita popcorn.

Shake some Nestle's quick over it instead of salt for choco-pop.

20. Tjaway6

Tjaway6 Member

I air pop our corn. I use white popcorn. I drizzle on 2 tablespoons of melted butter and some spray butter then good tasting nutritional yeast and a dash of popcorn salt. Truly awesome popcorn with just a little fat and salt.