Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite doomsday, SHTF, or survival movie, TV show, miniseries, or whatever? This is the type of show everyone in the family likes. We're going camping for a week in September so we need to stock up! Last time we watched Jericho seasons 1 & 2, which was really good btw.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
"28 Days Later".... that opening scene where he is in the city and it is empty... the world is ABSOLUTELY EMPTY (so it seems)... HEAVEN. I also REALLY liked "Book of Eli"

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
The Resident Evil series is good. Really creepy but good.

Not SHTF, but the scariest movie I've ever seen was Signs by M Knight Shamahoweveryouspellit.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I like Panic In Year Zero!, The Day The Earth Stood Still (original version, NOT The Day Keanu Reeves Stole My $8 remake) Farenheit 451, Harrison Bergeron, The Postman, The Road, Titan A.E. (animated), Waterworld, V for Vendetta

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I read the Road by Cormac McCarthy but haven't seen the movie. Does the movie follow the book fairly closely?

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Oh, another one I just saw: Battle: Los Angeles was pretty good.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The Postman is a great movie! And I love Tom Petty's cameo!

"Jericho" was a great series, and it is a shame that it was not renewed. The creator is actually finishing the story in comic book format, if anyone is interested.

Currently, I would have to say that I am really enjoying "Falling Skies" on TNT. It took me an episode or two to mentally reconcile Noah Wiley being old enough to have a teen son, but I guess it has been a while since he was on "E.R."

"Firefly" and the follow-up movie, "Serenity" are great. I wish I had gotten into the show when it was on tv; maybe it could have been saved. Often described as a "space western", it centers on a very Han Solo-ish character, very well portrayed by Nathan Fillion, of whom I am also a big fan. His current show, "Castle", is probably my favorite show on the air right now.

Hard to find, but it was a great story: "Knight Rider 2010" - Had nothing to do with The Hoff's series, but was really good. It was made as a pilot for a new TV series which never happened. Basically, most of the world has gone to shit, the big cities survive by sealing out the riff-raff with a giant glowing dome. The main character is a smuggler whose girlfriend dies while her mind is out in the internet, so her mind is stuck in a crystal memory device, which he installs in a car that he builds using a '69 Mustang, several machine guns, and some special bullet-proof laminate. Okay, when I write it out, it doesn't sound that cool, but I like it. :D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Falling skies is a new one that is out now and very good.
The stand(book is better). The postman I even stayed up late one night to watch it all the way thru.. I wish they would put it on earlier than 12midnight!
28 days later is a favorite but then I watch all the walking dead/zombie movies/shows... I like the new series Walking Dead but they need to hurry their butts up and make more episodes!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The movie sucked big time but the book "Wolfen" will have you reading with a gun in hand!!

I really liked the "Under World movies" ( the Fem lead can bite me anytime!!)

I really like the mini "Dexter"... "Weed's" ..Sons of Anarchy ...

The movie that scared the crap out of me was " Play Misty for Me"...

The one that tears my heart out is "We were Soldiers"

I can't think of a Survival movie that does a thing for me... none of the reality crap is even close...

There are plenty of really good books and stories about Surviving but Hollywierd can and does ruin almost anything they get hold of...

I'd say almost anybody on this forum could produce a better SHTF movie then any of the HW pukes..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sons of Anarchy --best show I've seen in a long time. Deadwood, True blood for comedic value--that show cracks me up,Jericho was great.
I like war movies--Black hawk down,Tears of the sun.
Pirates of the carabian somethingology . I honestly have been very dissapointed by movies that were coming out lately. Am looking forward to the second installment of Shelock Holmes and The Goon lol.
Let's not for get the feel good stuff--Hellboy,THe Edge.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
The scene in Signs where Mel Gibson comes across an alien in the closet and he holds the knife up under the door to look under the door in the knife's reflection is, bar none, the scariest scene I have ever seen in a movie.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love signs!

Book of Eli is probabley my favorite movie. Ive seen it +15 times.
The Colony
Jericho (also I heard they are working on a movie for jericho in the theaters)
I am Legend
Falling Skys
Red Dawn
Battle:LA
Independance Day

Almost SHTF was Live free and Die Hard "yippe ki yay ------------"

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
A good movie for getting out into the wilderness is Deliverance. Yes, there's the infamous "squeal like a piggy" scene, but it really is a good movie.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Burn Notice on USA.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Ive always liked Survivorman, and now Dual Survival.

Yeah, I liked Jericho, too bad it had to end.
The Max Keiser Report (a must watch for financial conspiracists) and Adam vs the Man on RT.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wrong weapons...

The scene in Signs where Mel Gibson comes across an alien in the closet and he holds the knife up under the door to look under the door in the knife's reflection is, bar none, the scariest scene I have ever seen in a movie.
Knife!...Baseball bat!...12 guage, 5 shot semi-auto w/#6 shot is my weapon of choice for taking out aliens! 5 shells...5 dead aliens! :wave: Then I'll turn their poison gas emitting claws into novelty backscratchers! :D

(Yeah...the knife under the door scene was a real breath-holder! :eek:)

Another memorable scene pictured below: :D

Attachments

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
What's wrong with that picture? That's just an average night at my house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts