Favorite canning recipes - what are yours?

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by goshengirl, Jan 9, 2011.

1. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I'm feeling a need to can coming on..... :cool:

So far I've canned beef, chicken, chicken broth, and spaghetti sauce. Feeling the need to branch out. ;) What are some of your favorite canning recipes?

We're expecting some snowfall this week, and there's just something about canning in the kitchen while it's all snowy outside. I'm just going to have to find out what's on sale and stock up for a day of canning! :)

2. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

One of my favorite recipes for canning is Southern Spiced Peaches. So much way gooder:p than any canned peaches you can buy.

24 medium sized peaches, skinned and pitted, sliced into wedges (messy, but fun)
    4 sticks cinnamon
    couple tablespoons of whole cloves
    6 cups sugar ( or less, I usually only do about 4)
    3 cups white vinegar

wrap cinnamon and cloves up in a cheesecloth bag
    heat vinager and sugar until dissolved, add spice bag, boil for 10 minutes
    add peaches and bring to slow boil for about 1-2 minutes.
    using strainer spoon, spoon peaches into canning jars until about 1 inch headspace, then fill with liquid to 1/2 inch headspace, removing all air pockets
    Waterbath can for 20 minues.
    Very simple and oh so yummy!

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

DW made a praline syrup to be used as an ice cream topping. She just made a few jelly jars' worth, but man it was good. I'll have her look up the recipe then I'll post it. It's good to can the meat and potatoes (literally) but having some homemade sweets and goodies put back is nice too.

4. Jason

Ok...here's the praline syrup. Her note in the margin says it makes three 8oz jars. It's actually from the Ball Home Preserving book, p.200.

2 cups dark corn syrup
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
    1 cup pecan pieces
    1/2 tsp vanilla

1.Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

2. In a stainless steel saucepan, combine corn syrup, water, and sugar. Heat over meduim heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to med. high, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and stir in pecans and vanilla. Boil gently, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.

3. Ladle hot syrup into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight.

4. Place jars into canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove, cool, and store.

5. goshengirl

Thank you!

mmszbi, those peaches do sound yummy! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, too - how to add just a little spice to canning. And my in-laws live near a big peach-growing area in IL, so I can really see this coming in handy!

Jason, pralines 'n cream is an old-time favorite for me, from back in the days when I lived in New Orleans. That recipe sounds fabulous! And you're right, it'd be good to have some sweets canned away, too. It would also be a good recipe to make up a bunch of jars to give away at Christmastime. Thanks!

6. Jason

Since we had the recipe out, DW made some praline syrup. This is a double batch.

Attached Files:

7. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Jason, I hate to tell you but the only way a tractor that size would move jars that big would be if you'd trade it in for a John Deere. :D

8. Jason

Actually, that's a full size tractor. They're really big jars. Let alone the HUUUUUGE giraffe in the corner of the pic.

9. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

Grandma Victoria's' recipe
    Chow-Chow - Green Tomato Relish:
    5 cups coarsely chopped green tomatoes (about 5 tomatoes)
    5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds cabbage)
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion
    2 cups coarsely chopped bell pepper, add 1 red for color
    1/3 cup pickling salt
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Combine the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
    Add the salt and stir. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
    Prepare the canner and jars. Add water to a canner with rack and heat to a boil; reduce heat and keep at a simmer. The water should be high enough to be at least 1 inch above the filled jars. I usually fill it about halfway and I keep a kettle or saucepan of water boiling on another burner to add to the canner as needed. Wash jars thoroughly and heat water in a small saucepan; put the lids in the saucepan and bring almost to the boil; lower heat to very low to keep the lids hot.

Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.

In a large nonreactive kettle, bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace.

With a clean dampened cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place the flat lids on the jars then close caps with screw-on rings tightly, but do not over-tighten. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.

Check for seals (the middle of the caps should have made a popping sound while cooling and will stay depressed.
    Makes about 4 pints.

This recipe has been through 4 generations now and still a favorite..

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Chow-Chow - Green Tomato Relish ... :2thumb:

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

One of DH favorites is so easy. When we have a spoonful or cup of veggies leftover after a meal they go into our soupmix bag in the freezer. When we have enough to fill a canner we thaw the mix add chicken broth and can the best veggie soup ever.

12. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I am looking for a hot pepper relish recipe ... But I do not want it sweet.

We love pepper sauce on things, especially turnip greens, my hubby cuts up lots of the peppers from the pepper sauce, so I thought, if I could just go ahead and make some sort of relish...

I think that I could come up with one on my own, but thought I would ask....

thanks

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Goshengirl - want to share your spaghetti sauce recipe for canning. ;)

14. goshengirl

recipe? LOL :eek:

When I was younger I would ask my mother for a recipe, and she'd give instructions like "just add enough such-n-such until it looks right" - drove me nuts! What looked right? But alas, I've now become my mother. :eek:

Spaghetti sauce was my first experience canning, but we found that the sauce didn't taste so great when it was canned. I'd read in a canning book that some herbs are altered and end up tasting bitter when processed for canning, and I think that's what happened. So I tell you how I make spaghetti sauce, and then I'll tell you how I keep it for storage.

Spaghetti Sauce:
    large slow cooker (6 qt)
    canned tomato sauce (105 oz - the food service can at Sam's Club)
    canned tomato paste
    dried oregano
    dried basil
    dried rosemary
    dried marjoram
    dried sage
    dried thyme
    92% (or better) lean ground beef, browned and drained (3 lbs)
    Pour tomato sauce into the cooker, add tomato paste. (How much paste I use depends on how much I have and what mood I'm in.) Then add dried herbs until, well, it looks right. ;) (If I'm in the mood, I'll add ground oregano in addition to the dried oregano.) Finally, add ground beef. Then cook in the slow cooker for several hours to allow it to thicken up. Use either the 'low' or 'warm' setting on your cooker, never the 'high' setting, as the sauce will scorch. This makes LOADS of spaghetti sauce - when the family is finished eating, I take what's left in the cooker and divvy it up in FoodSaver bags, and store in the freezer. Then I've got sauce all ready to be defrosted and heated and ready to go for the next spaghetti meal.

As I said, I used this recipe (such as it is) for my first canning experience - freezing the sauce worked great, but I wanted to store some without the need for electricity. But since the taste was off, I've changed my storage ideas. Sauce and paste can stay in their own cans (I don't make my own yet, but plan to when the garden produces, hopefully, this summer). Dried herbs can stay in their own containers. And now I dehydrate ground beef, and a quart of dried beef works with the above amounts. I still freeze excess sauce because it really is convenient to just thaw and heat up - but for non-electric storage I don't bother actually making the sauce before canning it. If I do can anything, I might try processing the sauce, paste, and beef together and see how it goes to add the herbs later after opening up the jar.

Ha. You asked a simple question. Apprently I was in the mood for giving a disseration today... ;)

15. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

canning eggplants

I canned over 70 jars of eggplant last year.:D I peeled the eggplant,cut up the eggplant, and cooked for about 10 -15 min. Just enough to soften it. Then I pressure canned it with only the cooking water and 1/4 tsp. salt. You can use it to make eggplant casserole or any thing else that calls for cooked eggplant or squash.:woohoo:

16. kathyd

kathyd New Member

17. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

goshen, when you say you put them into foodsaver bags, do you mean the vac. seal bags?

18. goshengirl

Yep. Since it's a liquid it's tricky to vac seal, so I fill the bag (about 2/3 of the bag) with the sauce and put it in the freezer overnight - then vac seal the frozen bag in the morning. That short amount of time when it's not vac sealed doesn't seem to be a problem. Also, when I put it in the freezer I close up the bag with a 'chip clip' (those big clips used to keep bags of chips or pretzels closed). I fold down the top with several little folds before putting on the clip.

Hope that helps. :)

19. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

wow you're smart!!:congrat:

20. Ur5hittingMe

Ur5hittingMe Well-Known Member

How about pickled hot peppers stuffed with cabbage. YUM

I do have a question, first time ever I pressure cooked beets, they turned pink? Can you tell me why? The book said 15 lb pressure for 30 mins. Didnt open one up yet to try, but even the liquid is pink.