Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of your favorite books? I'm a big fan of the Beat Generation ... Kerouac (Dharma Bums), Burroughs (Junkie), etc .. To some extent Hunter Thompson though not technically a Beat.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mother Earth News,
Home Power,
Anything to do with metal smithing, electronics, or growing vegetables.

I don't read fiction, I have enough silly stuff crammed into my head, I don't need anymore!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here so I'll say hi to everyone.:D

Has anyone here read any of Eric Sloane's books? Very good books for reference to "Americana". I particularly enjoy his book titled "A Reverence for Wood". Other's of his to read are "America", "Diary of an Early American Boy", "The Season's of America Past", and "A Museum of Early American Tools".

Like I said, alot of information on how early Americans lived, and what their world was like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I only have time for educational reading, learning how to do things to expand my homesteading skills.
Organic gardening
raising chickens
Natural health
Home repair
My new topic to research is goats. I'm ready to explore the possiblity of raising my own. I fear if I decide to do that I will need a book on fence building!
Now I know religion is not discussed here, but my most important how-to book to read is the Bible!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have given up all my magazine subscriptions. I get everything off the internet like foums like this. Only books I have a manuals or how to books that I have had. Most how to questions I need I can get online. Save alot of money using the internet.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Story books:

Anne McCaffery - Pern series
Robert Heinlein - Too many to count - re-reading StarShip Troopers. It seems to fit our society right now .. the troubles that are brewing

Learning books:

Bladesmithing
Cook books - in particular cooking with dutch ovens
Edible and medicinal plants of the rockies
Wilderness First-aid books (I need to re-cert this year)

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a child "My Side of the Mountain" won hands down. (still want to go live inside a hollowed out tree sometimes).

Now a days:

Sacred Balance, David Suzuki

98 degrees, Cody Lundin,

LL Bean Christmas catalog,

Brigade Quartermasters catalog,

Duluth Trading catalog (me-thinks I doth see a pattern here),

Complete Idiots Guide to Simple Living,

and

The Kama Sutra (just for the pictures though)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series of "Clan of the Cave Bear" Probably my most favorite to date.

Naekid - Anne's "Dragons of Pern (series)" is definately up there with me too, along with "The Peaceful Warrior (series)".

Think I need to trek into town to the bookstore today (again).

·
Proverbs31Woman
87 Posts
I'm a "How To" book junkie. While my husband reads a novel, I"m reading the latest info. from Countryside or online looking for more helpful resource material.

When I do take the time to do recreational reading it is usually Reader's Digest if I'm short for time. My favorite author is O.Henry. I have several volumes of his stories. I also enjoy the Stepanie Plum series by author Janet Evanovitch. My Bible is also on my favorites list.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts