Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a fast growing green bean for my fall garden.

I've found Contender bean (Buff Valentine) - snap, bush ... at 42 days ...

Anyone know of an other ...

Thanks

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Andi,

A wise old timer turned me on to a fabulous green bean called a "Roma II". This bean is good for spring and fall. If you pick them young, they have very little strings. No need to string them. From germanation to harvest is about 6 weeks.

We just picked 3 gallons of our spring planting of these this morning and will have some for supper tonight.

When cooked down with a little brown sugar, these are some of the best green beans I have eaten.

Let me know if you can't find them locally and I'm sure we could work out some type of trade.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Andi,

A wise old timer turned me on to a fabulous green bean called a "Roma II". This bean is good for spring and fall. If you pick them young, they have very little strings. No need to string them. From germanation to harvest is about 6 weeks.

We just picked 3 gallons of our spring planting of these this morning and will have some for supper tonight.

When cooked down with a little brown sugar, these are some of the best green beans I have eaten.

Let me know if you can't find them locally and I'm sure we could work out some type of trade.
I agree.We us canned 14 qt.s of these have already eaten 3.

They are delicious.Only thing we added was a little salt when canning.We stopped adding meat to beans decades ago.We like the natural flavor.

Wish we had of bought at least whole bushel.
Where do you buy the seeds?

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
I agree.We us canned 14 qt.s of these have already eaten 3.

They are delicious.Only thing we added was a little salt when canning.We stopped adding meat to beans decades ago.We like the natural flavor.

Wish we had of bought at least whole bushel.
Where do you buy the seeds?
Meerkat,

We buy all of our seed from the local co-ops, local Amish farm, and small seed store. Call around to some of your local feed and seed stores to see if they carry them. I have never found these seed in any of the big box stores.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Meerkat,

We buy all of our seed from the local co-ops, local Amish farm, and small seed store. Call around to some of your local feed and seed stores to see if they carry them. I have never found these seed in any of the big box stores.
Thanks ,Long way from amish,but will see where we can find them here.They are so tasty and preserve well,nice and firm when canned.

First thing I ever canned was roma beans last month.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andi,

Well, I'll give them a try ... found a few packs at the feed store. They will go out in the fall garden.

Pam, thanks for the link ... I also found a Contender bean but it was a purple pod till cooked ... :confused: ... May try a few to see ...

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Well, I'll give them a try ... found a few packs at the feed store. They will go out in the fall garden.

Pam, thanks for the link ... I also found a Contender bean but it was a purple pod till cooked ... :confused: ... May try a few to see ...
Andi,

I know you will be hooked on these beans. We do a spring and fall planting of these. I learned about these from a wise old timer who has taught us so many old time gardening secrets.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd love to help but I only grow pole beans.. my favorite right now is Rattlesnake-one of the best tasting beans that I have ever ate.
close runner up Cherokee Trail of Tears.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Andi,

:eek: wow that's FAST, every time I grow them it takes 8 weeks :(

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My spring beans was wash away ... my summer beans, well... some of them are up ... but again not looking good for the rest to come. :gaah: But I'll give them a little more time. We had our first good rain (in a while) yesterday. And I did notice a few more broke soil today ...

So maybe ...

If not it will up to the fall beans to make it. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd love to help but I only grow pole beans.. my favorite right now is Rattlesnake-one of the best tasting beans that I have ever ate.
close runner up Cherokee Trail of Tears.
Hear, Hear! I second that motion. I planted Rattlesnake beans for the first time this year and I doubt I will ever grow another type of pole bean again. They are the best bean I've ever tasted. I'm saving plenty of seed for next year.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
My spring beans was wash away ... my summer beans, well... some of them are up ... but again not looking good for the rest to come. :gaah: But I'll give them a little more time. We had our first good rain (in a while) yesterday. And I did notice a few more broke soil today ...

So maybe ...

If not it will up to the fall beans to make it. :)
Andi, sorry to hear that.

We harvested another two bushel baskets of beans today. One is an old fashioned and the other is the ROMA II I had recommended.

Hope you next batch works out for ya.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ... they are in the ground and if we get some rain. :crossfinger: Along with a little milk and honey ... lol

10 weeks till first first ... :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.