Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we bought a Farmall 450 Diesel. We bought it from a local dealer we've known and trusted for decades. It's no show winner but it's solid and pretty much everything works. The transmission seems fine, the torque amplifier seems good, power steering works fine, the PTO works fine...only issues I've been able to see right off the bat is that the tach does not work and the right rear tire has a slow drip at the valve stem. The tires are all at least 50%. It was a chilly morning yesterday when we went to look at it and it fired right up. The block was cold-it had not been run that morning and it took right off.

These tractors are really interesting. You start them on gasoline and once they warm up you throw a lever on the dashboard and they switch over to Diesel. If you look at the left side of the engine you'll see the fuel injector pump and the steel fuel lines like on a Diesel, but if you look at the right side you see a distributor and plug wires like a gas engine.

I gather that they are in the high 40's range for horsepower. We are hauling it home later this afternoon. My cousin has a good trailer to pull it on and after he finishes work today he's bringing it home for me. I only have a couple pics now to post but I'll take more once I get it home.

Attachments

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer told us that it was traded in because the previous owner fell off of it and cut his head. I don't think it was moving or anything and it wasn't a serious injury but the owner's wife saw his banged up forehead and made him trade it on a newer, safer utility tractor. Prior to the trade the previous owner replaced the fuel pump at a cost of around $1000. This was before he was figuring on trading it. Hopefully this proves to be a worthy investment.

I believe we paid a fair price.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning waiting for 3:30 to go haul it home.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, cowboyhermit. And thanks for the link.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
those old farmalls are a really tough tractor, the fuel switch over start system makes them one of the best cold starting diesels. A lot of people are draining the calcium mixture out of their tires and replacing it with RV antifreeze, to stop the corrosive attack to the rims, I am sure that you already know to park a leaker with the valve stem at the top.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did know about the valve stem, TI, but thanks for the tip because a lot of people may not know that. I did not know about the RV antifreeze...that's a great idea. I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos about this tractor and a lot of people do say that they're great in the cold. I just can't wait to get it here and put it to work.

·
Newbie (in training)
806 Posts
those old farmalls are a really tough tractor, the fuel switch over start system makes them one of the best cold starting diesels. A lot of people are draining the calcium mixture out of their tires and replacing it with RV antifreeze, to stop the corrosive attack to the rims, I am sure that you already know to park a leaker with the valve stem at the top.
Around here, a lot of people are switching the calcium out and putting windshield washer fluid in. 55 gallon drum of washer fluid is pretty cheap, and doesn't freeze.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RV antifreeze and windshield washer fluid are both great ideas. Calcium is murder on rims. I'm glad to hear that there are alternatives.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Hmmm, I'd look at RimGuard (beet juice) before finalizing your decision on what to put in your tires.

RV Antifreeze (Propylene glycol) isn't as bad as regular antifreeze (which is highly toxic) but I'd read up on it and consider your animals, fish and ground before putting in my tires.

Windshield washer fluid is less toxic but will require a strong dose to avoid freezing. Being water based, it's still a bit corrosive and I'd recommend using tubes.

RimGuard is the best option IMHO. You're a bit south of me but I didn't have any problem getting a dealer to bring out their field repair truck and fill the tires at my place. (They can also fix your valve stem if the rim isn't too bad).

From their website: http://www.rimguard.biz/

• Rim Guard® is nearly 30% heavier than water.
  • Rim Guard® is non-corrosive.
  • Rim Guard® is non-toxic and biodegradable.
  • Rim Guard® is freeze-resistant down to -35°F.
  • Rim Guard® is cost effective because inner tubes are not needed and tires are easier to repair.
  • Rim Guard® is the one and only Beet Juice™ tire ballast!

http://www.rimguard.biz/

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Compression = torque

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far Old Red is doing great. I was a little worried yesterday. I used it to move some firewood from my cousin's property to mine, maybe a mile up a dirt road. I got halfway over to his place and noticed that the oil pressure gauge was not registering anything. I flicked the gauge and it started working. Problem solved.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As we used the 450 over the past year some issues came to light, which are currently being fixed by the same neighbor that redid our M last year. It was using A LOT of engine oil-better than a gallon a day. Here the rear main seal was leaking. Neighbor split the tractor and here the wrong seal was in there from a previous, sloppy repair. Got the seal as a part of a gasket kit from Steiner Tractor Parts. The rear axles were leaking so we replaced the outer axle bearings and their oil seals. Miscellaneous leaks were fixed, lights were installed, carb cleaned out, choke and tach cables installed (neither were there when we bought the tractor), and all filters were changed. All that needs done is one more oil seal needs changed in the hydraulic pump and I need to find someone to rebuild the PTO because it slips under very heavy load and all the adjustment in it is used up.

All told, the tractor had more gremlins than I'd realized but for a 1957 tractor I'm ok with that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts