Fallout monitoring

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BasecampUSA, Mar 17, 2011.

1. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

===============
    OK...

So, I collected the rain from last night and filtered it...

Passed the Geiger counter probe over the fliter, and found NO raised background count YET.

I will continue this for a couple of months. Every rainfall.

Any other Radiological monitoring personnel out there?

2. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

I was thinking about getting one of those old military surplus g-counters but dont know if they would do the trick ..Altho the president said there is no danger to US or its Territories..I can picture them telling us the same thing from the bunker even after ppl started to "glow"..hope someone on the west coast is in the site here and is keeping tabs on it such as yourself

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

on a (barely) related note, I've been researching this subject (recoverable uranium in mining "waste") & find it most enlightenning:

Most coal contains uranium and thorium, as well as potassium-40, lead-210, and radium-226. The total levels are generally about the same as in other rocks of the Earth's crust. Most emerge from a power station in the light flyash, which is fused and chemically stable, or the bottom ash. Some 99% of flyash is typically retained in a modern power station, and this is buried in an ash dam.

The amounts of radionuclides involved are noteworthy. In Victoria, Australia, 65 million tonnes of brown coal is burned annually for electricity production. This contains about 1.6 ppm uranium and 3.0-3.5 ppm thorium, hence about 100 tonnes of uranium and 200 tonnes of thorium is buried in landfill each year in the Latrobe Valley. Australia exports 270 Mt/yr of coal with 1 to 2 ppm uranium and about 3.5 ppm thorium in it, hence up to 500 tonnes of uranium and about 800 tonnes of thorium could conceivably be added to published export figures.

Other coals are quoted as ranging up to 25 ppm U and 80 ppm Th. In the USA, ash from coal-fired power plants contains on average 1.3 ppm of uranium and 3.2 ppm of thorium, giving rise to 1200 tonnes of uranium and 3000 tonnes of thorium in ash each year (for 955 million tonnes of coal used for power generation). Applying these concentration figures to world coal consumption for power generation (7800 Mt/yr) gives 10,000 tonnes of uranium and 25,000 tonnes of thorium per year. It is evident that even at 1 ppm U in coal there is more than 10x energy in the contained uranium (if it were to be used as fuel rods in a reactor) than in the coal itself.

The actual radioactivity levels are not great. UNSCEAR estimated that average concentrations in coal worldwide were 50 Bq/kg K-40 and 20 Bq/kg each U & Th, though CSIRO data puts Australian figures at average 830 Bq/kg total radioactivity, related to 1.8 ppm U and 7 ppm Th in the coal, but contrasted with some 1400 Bq/kg average in the Earth's crust. US NCRP figures give 174 Bq/kg average total radioactivity in US coal with 100-600 Bq/kg range for NSW coals and 145 Bq/kg average in Indian coal.

With increased uranium prices the uranium in ash becomes significant economically. In the 1960s and 1970s, some 1100 tU was recovered from coal ash in USA, why this practice was stopped I will never know :rolleyes: :sssh: . In 2007 China commissioned a US firm to undertake advanced trials on leaching uranium from coal ash out of the Xiaolongtang power station in central Yunnan. It and two nearby power stations use lignite with high ash content (20-30%) and very high uranium content, from a single open-cut mine. The coal uranium content varies from about 20 to 315 ppm and averages about 75 ppm. The ash averages about 210 ppm U (0.021%U) - above the cut-off level for some uranium mines. The power station ash heap contains over 1000 tU, with annual arisings of 190 tU. (Recovery of this by acid leaching is about 70%.) There is also has an agreement to extract uranium from coal ash following germanium recovery in the Bangmai and Mengwang basins in Yunnan. This ash ranges from 150 to over 4000 ppm U (0.40 %U), averaging 350 ppm U (0.035%).

so, in summation, the "energy crisis" is contrived

4. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

5. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

I also have a Ludlum model 3 with 44-9 pancake.
    I am in southern New Mexico, and have taken quite a few readings. All are normal so far. (40-50 CPM) @ 4200 ft.
    The PM1703M scintillator is showing normal 7-9 uR/hr. This is a VERY sensitive unit, and updates 4x a second.

I purchased 2 bottles of KI a year ago. Wouldn't you know it, I can't remember where I put them. Still searching.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Thanks nj...

He's getting a higher "normal" background count (40-45) than I am up here (30-35), but there he may have a different instrument.

That's why he asks for a number of readings from an individual to establish a "baseline".

Ticks me off that FEMA discontinued even the monthly reading from it's trained Radiological Monitoring personnel, I haven't been asked for a reading for years.

7. nj_m715

I think he said 40-50 is normal for his area, but I don't know anything about this.

I read a few news sites that reported traces have reached west coast and some passengers tripped airport alarms when they flew home Japan. Who knows who true it is.

At least our Pres. is right on top of things. I think FEMA responded faster to Katrina. I guess it sucks to have little things like hundreds of burning fuel rods or no fly zones get in the way of golfing and vacations. He did promise change. I thought he meant change for the better? It's like some kind of sick joke.

8. nj_m715