Experimental Survivor Group TV Show

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by gunny, Oct 25, 2010.

1. gunny

gunny Member

Just tuned in to this TV show. It is an experiment that depicts a group of survivors situated in an urban area after a calamity. It does give one a very good idea of what survivors would have to deal with. The group consists of a doctor, nurse, biologist, computer engineer, maintenance man, contractor who is also a former prison inmate and some others that I may have overlooked.
    These are the exact type of people that I would like to form a group with.
    They all have valuable professions, skills and trades that would be very helpful with all their combined knowledge. What would a group expect to achieve if all were contractors or doctors? I would also like to add a recent war veteran or two who has first hand experience in urban close quarters combat. I am a Nam Vet but with jungle experience. I would only be good if I lived in the Amazon or Everglades and even then that was a very long time ago.

I would like your thoughts and comments.

Gunny

2. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

I would think that they are indeed fortunate to have all of those professions represented. I doubt that most of us will be so lucky. That is why I started taking EMT training this past spring. I will have my advanced EMT com March.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

sounds like the 1st season of The Colony...

4. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

Yeah, my wife and I watched the whole second season and are now DVR'ing the first one. I like the shows because you can learn from them. However, they completely reinforce to me just how huge a gamechanger firearms are. I wish they had at least some way of simulating them (simunition or paintball) because I think they will have a huge role in a post apocalyptic world.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you're kidding, right? do you REALLY think the libtards in Hollyweird are going to show firearms in any manner of positive light?

oh, the HORROR of a well-armed (and polite) populace!

don't you know that we plebes aren't SMART enough to think for/take care of ourselves... we need big bother gubmint to do THAT

:gaah: :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

6. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Two thing's to make it, beans and bullets, can't keep the first with out the second. :2thumb:

7. thunderdan19

I get your point, but I don't really categorize Discovery/History with the rest of the Hollywood LEFTovers. They have plenty of pro 2nd Amendment (or at least neutral) programming: Mythbusters, Top Shot, Lock 'n Load, Mail Call, etc. They also seem to focus on realism most of the time.

But, yeah, I also get the fact that liability with projectile weapons of any kind would be rather high. I'm pretty much just saying guns would make that whole scenario a whole lot different...

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We're all counting on that! :D

9. gunny

gunny Member

A common sense view to firearms in a "colony" or similar group of people trying to survive... Yes, being armed does change the odds opposed to those who are unarmed. I would only want qualified and trusted people in any group that I would be involved with to be in the "firearms department" Having been in a shooting war, I witnessed a lot of idiots with firearms who were just plain nuts. A lot of boys got wounded or killed because of their stupidity as well as not following orders. Many of those "people" never came home if you get my drift. You can use your imagination to complete the picture. A lot of people talk real big about how they will defend themselves and loved ones against a given threat. They will come to a quick revelation once they actually become involved in a situation where they must take a life. Firefights can develop in seconds and one needs to be able to react while thinking clearly. Even the seasoned veteran of combat will be scared but must maintain the ability to think clearly and react accordingly. There are many courses offering close combat quarters training in rifle, shotgun or handgun. It would be prudent for those who intend to use a firearm for self defense to take a few courses and then practice their skills as often as they can at a local gun club. This is why it would be important to only arm those who have a level head, stomach and the ability to react instantly and accurately in a shooting scenario. Like Clint Eastwood stated in "Magnum Force".... "Nothing wrong in shooting as long as the right people get shot" Let's all pray that things will not come to this. My thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I like the show because I'm often pleased with what they do come up with and I wonder how well I'd do myself in such a situation. Yes, the lack of firearms and the conflict thing is distracting, but between the first and second seasons, I learned a lot.

11. thunderdan19

Agreed. Makes me want to make sure and find a mechanic, a handyman and electronics guru to spend TEOTWAWKI with... :D

12. gunny

gunny Member

I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. Enough thinking! I need to make it a reality. I am finding it very difficult in talking with people that I know and most don't see the need. Only one friend amongst many agree to preparedness. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking? Please, no more about cannning...thankyou to those, we got the message. Can we discuss more about the topic of this thread?

Peace to all
    Gunny IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Mario\Desktop\MC_e7[/IMG